03201: Damian Helthorne, Bandit (by Tre Manor)

MamaGeek

I bought this mini about a year ago, just because I really like the sculpt. It's a Reaper Miniature, sculpted by Tre Manor. I went ahead and gave him a large base insert, so he can be used for a D&D PC (subject to "Enlarge Person"). I hope you like him!

post-4823-0-17121100-1346030527_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-96668300-1346030528_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-67491500-1346030530_thumb.jpg

post-4823-0-12568000-1346030532_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MG, that is sick . . .

First off I love the idea of making a larger base with insert area for when the character is enlarged, its the little things like that which make models stand out especially in a gaming group.

Next up the Boar design is fantastic as the comic-esque style helps bring out the eyes and tusks on a small mini and instantly make the model distinguisgable.

Also, is that NMM (non metal metal) that I spy on that sword? I've always considered NMM the hardest thing to do in painting minis.

Lastly I prefer your heavy handed shading/contrast style to more subtle schemes/blending as soon on the boots and cloak on 28mm as it makes them seem more dynamic and colorful.

Thank you, folks!

I've been basing all my fighter figures with enlarge-ready bases since early last year (Neroli, Deladrin, Draconid). It works out really well on the gaming table.

Regarding the freehand, I really surprised myself with that one. I can usually do geometric patterns well, but this is the first time I've painted something like this that actually turned out well. I found a picture online by doing a Google Images search for "painted shield". I sketched it on paper with a pencil, and divided it into geometrically shaped areas that I then very lightly painted onto the shield. This helped me get the proportions correct when I filled in the details. Jen Haley describes the technique here.

Regarding the metallics, yes, it is all NMM. I find true metallics very difficult, and usually fall back on NMM, because it's easier. :) Metalchaos, I always add a bit of blue to my NMM shading to give it a more steely look.

Hawker, my husband had no comment. :)

Finally, regarding the style, I thought the sculpt lent itself well to a high-contrast, comic-book style. He is a very exaggerated figure, with those giant hands, craggy face, stocky body, and outrageous mustache!

Finally, thank you all once again for your very kind words!