Sign in to follow this  
Paheej

PrismGamer Paints

The other day on Beasts of War I noticed that they interviewed a paint manufacturer I had never heard of . . . PrismGaming:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/events/gen-con/gen-con-2012/prism-gaming-gen-con-2012/

Has anyone tried their paints? They mention some really cool things in the interview (twice the paint at less than twice the price, no additives that cause the paint to dry, four times the amount of fluid in washes, other general awesomeness).

I was just wondering if anyone had tried them before . . . I've been a diehard Vallejo Model Color since 2006 (Citadel before that, but that awful post design probably means I wasted $100 on unused paints), and was wondering if there was any comparison.

I saw them at Gencon but didn't bother to really look at them because I really like the Reaper line and don't need to replace what I allready have. Thanks for the link though, I was curious about the company.

I saw these at GenCon as well. I was a bit turned off though because the first time I stopped at the booth, the friendly girl couldn't tell me if they were water or alcohol based (after she touted their extender). The second time, the guy rep snatched a sheet of colors that I was reading out from under my nose with nary a word of apology to show someone else. So, I left.

Ron

I saw these at GenCon as well. I was a bit turned off though because the first time I stopped at the booth, the friendly girl couldn't tell me if they were water or alcohol based (after she touted their extender). The second time, the guy rep snatched a sheet of colors that I was reading out from under my nose with nary a word of apology to show someone else. So, I left.

Wow, couldn't tell you whether they were water or alcohol based? Hmm that seems awfully suspicious - that tells me whoever selling the paints probably doesn't know anything about paints or possibly even painting.

I would really some paints or a comparison . . . but alas Ron's comments alone will probably result in me picking up more Vallejo model color.

You may very well consider Reaper Master's Series as well. These are the paints that Reaper claims (and I've validated) stick to the miniature without primer. Vallejo WILL require primer to stick to the BONES miniatures. Vallejo pretty much needs primer to adhere to anything as if it does have a binding agent, I haven't been able to tell.

Of course, look for the "what colors should I pick" threads if it's hard for you to pick initial colors, but I now prefer Reaper paints for almost everything. There's a few exceptions when it comes to being lazy and wanting to *not* mix a color... but I've got all Reaper MSP, (260+ or so) while I only have 30-40 Vallejo colors.

Regards,

Wow, couldn't tell you whether they were water or alcohol based? Hmm that seems awfully suspicious - that tells me whoever selling the paints probably doesn't know anything about paints or possibly even painting.

I would really some paints or a comparison . . . but alas Ron's comments alone will probably result in me picking up more Vallejo model color.

It was probably just a friend or family member who was helping out at the booth as I'm sure the guy in the video could tell you since he created the paints.

I went to their website and they have no real information on what these "Finisher" paints they sell are. I know what the sstandardand washes are but in the video and on their site they don't explain what this new paint type is (if it's anything more then a different wash).

At Gen Con, others at the booth couldn't get into the details of pigment, base, etc., so I got the full run-down from the creator. He's very proud of his creation and he's a good salesman. I wouldn't say 'pushy' but he is very confident and he knows his subject. The paints are acrylic, water-based, but used in a slightly different way than standard paints or washes. If I understood him and recall correctly, the paints go on very quickly, with the base coat going on and 'puddling' to be the darker shades and thinner for the base color, dropping back to show the raised areas and edges. Quick highlights, seal and done. So, army painters would benefit from these more than RPG or display painters would, IMHO.

Sounds like the video description which lead me to believe it was a wash with reduced surface tension, then highlights meant to be dry-brushed or placed at the highest points. I didn't catch anything that spoke to there being more than two levels of color layers being applied to miniatures. Most definitely an army painting technique vs. display quality.

Not knowing the paints, however, I can only speak to the information in the video vs. personal experience.

It was probably just a friend or family member who was helping out at the booth as I'm sure the guy in the video could tell you since he created the paints.

Yes, I imagine that the girl was just a friend or family member. That's why I just thought I should come back when there was someone else in the booth.

But on the second visit, I was turned off enough by being ignored by the guy rep and then having the sheet snatched out from under me without a "Excuse me" or anything like that to not want to come back to ask about paints when I don't need any more paints.

Ron

You may very well consider Reaper Master's Series as well. These are the paints that Reaper claims (and I've validated) stick to the miniature without primer. Vallejo WILL require primer to stick to the BONES miniatures. Vallejo pretty much needs primer to adhere to anything as if it does have a binding agent, I haven't been able to tell.

Wait, wait, wait . . . only Reaper paints stick to Bones minis unprimed? It says nothing to that effect on their ads . . .

Other paints will, just not Vallejo, and the Reaper paints are guaranteed to. I know that P3 paints stick just fine to Bones.

Then Coat D'Arms should as well, they come from the same source.

Ron

Jeez. That reminds me of the time a new hobby shop opened and they set up a booth at the sunday mall flea market to get word out they were in business. I was desperately looking for a source for Tamiya because I had a project half completed.

I saw they had a rack of Gunze Sangyo and asked about Tamiya. The lady very helpfully said they didn't have any, but that I could find substitutes in what they did have.

I politely replied that I specifically needed Tamiya colors for an exact match.

Whereupon she informed me that "a guy who works for us" is a modeler and "quite knowledgable" that they're the same thing.

I could only look back in silent contempt. I mean, what's that supposed to mean? I'm not knowledgable about what I need? And the same thing? What? Really?

I never did finish that battleship.

Never went to their store, either.

Sorry, I mispoke, I meant to say they are the ones Reaper produce and I know they've tested them extensively. I also know that they work to ensure other products work, just that since they have no control over whether or not the other manufacturer changes something that makes it incompatible.

Busy day yesterday and the first thing that looked like a sentence got posted. (apparently).

Rgds,

p.s. added after original post: And remember, unless they say they are an official Reaper spokesperson, they are a fan speaking opinion or attempting to be helpful at finding already posted official answers (and that includes ME). :lol:

Edited by ixminis