ReaperBryan Interview, or Why we got the PDFs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought folk might be interested in this Podcast from 'TheNerdHerders', where Bryan talks about the Kickstarter process now the first part is over   He also explains why we had the PDFs that some

I wasn't disappointed with the PDFs. Just ambivalent. True neutral, you might say. They could have had twice as many, or none at all.   I mean, really though, after the Cyber-Monkey and the Cloc

* at Casa De Buglips *   Me: "Responding to the horn call of Morbruk the Horrid, a skirmish line of ten Ogres appears from the treeline!"   * puts miniatures on table *   Player 1: "How come o

I think i will give him butterfly wings and a cutie mark and call him Ponythullhu.

I think he would work better as a Care Bear. Besides, ponies have feathered wings, not faerie/butterfly wings.

You could use the same image for the belly badge as the cutie mark...and exploding brain.

I am so thankful I have a 6 year old daughter, otherwise this discussion might make me really creepy :lol:

I think i will give him butterfly wings and a cutie mark and call him Ponythullhu.

I think he would work better as a Care Bear. Besides, ponies have feathered wings, not faerie/butterfly wings.

You could use the same image for the belly badge as the cutie mark...and exploding brain.

I am so thankful I have a 6 year old daughter, otherwise this discussion might make me really creepy :lol:

Sure, blame the kid.

snapback.pngQwyksilver, on 30 August 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

snapback.pngsmokingwreckage, on 30 August 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

I had a my little pony when I was a kid with translucent wings, they were "flutterby" ponies or something. It was in the 80's, when MLP had some big ole booty and thick legs.

One nit I have to pick regarding the interview. Bryan still kept reiterating about how their PC models sell twice as much as their monster miniatures.

I fully believe that to be the case up to this point...with metal. Not only is it common sense, but I heard it countless times in the Kickstarter comments. The reason monsters didn't sell as well was the cost. A DM couldn't afford to buy six or ten or twelve orcs, gnolls, or whatever in metal.

That is the big equalizer with Bones. Hordes of monsters are finally financially viable if Reaper would concentrate on them in the new medium. It's not that DMs didn't WANT to buy monsters, in the quantities required they couldnt afford to.

So you sell eight more of a PC model than a bugbear, but that's because the player only has to pay for the one mini. $6 for your character is pretty reasonable if that's the only fig you need for a year or two. Now give a DM the opportunity to get twelve skeletons for $16 and you're on to something...

Probably sounds like a rant, but it's not meant to be. I just think Bones changes the equation in a way Reaper may not have considered yet. While I love most of Reaper's character designs, I still think Bones' biggest strength is for affordable hordes, the things most couldn't afford to slap down on the table until now.

• Like 2

@Baphomet69, I agree, as a DM, my need for PC's is satisfied. So I stopped buying minis cause I have enough to cover any humanoid encounter. This included goblins, kobolds, skeletons, orcs, gnolls, elves, halflings dwarves and any like figures. Also rats, dogs, cats, bats, snakes and other small animals are in plentiful supply. Now though large and larger creatures may be available, they are expensive in metal. I've been eyeing those fier and ice giants in metal, but at over 30 bucks a pop, my players have just had to use imagination. My personal weakness is dragons, but the most I've ever spent on a single mini is $25. I do have some large dragons that I picked up at cons or clearance.

My first bones purchase was the purple worm for 3.00, compare that to 30.00 for tin and instantly I don't have to spend my whole mini allowance for two months on one figure.

So let's hope they ramp up production of monsters, especially larger ones, in bones (maybe licensed). I think keeping PC production in metal might be nice too.

Finally, carrying around minis for a nights gaming will be much lighter with the bones. Players do not have the same load :)

• Forum Mascot

* at Casa De Buglips *

Me: "Responding to the horn call of Morbruk the Horrid, a skirmish line of ten Ogres appears from the treeline!"

* puts miniatures on table *

Player 1: "How come only one of them's an Ogre? Most of the rest are jumbo army men. One of them's neon pink, even. And that last guy is just a bar of hotel soap."

Me: "Do you have any idea how much ten Ogres cost in metal? More well than you can imagine!"

Player 2: "I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit. Solo hi-five!"

Me: "They're all Ogres."

Player 1: "Complimentary Soap Ogre smells particularly fresh."

Me: "Just pretend, ok. Sheesh, it's a game of the imagination. Imagine!"

Player 2: "I imagine the other Ogres make fun of Springtime Fresh the Terrible."

Me: "Ok, fine. The bar of soap is not an Ogre. Are you happy?"

* takes soap off table *

Player 3: "Does that mean there's only 9 Ogres now?"

Me: "Yes."

Player 1: "That's . . . surprisingly generous of you."

Me: "It is."

* puts bar of soap back on the table *

Me: "This, you see, now represents a monolith. But no ordinary monolith, this is an Astral Monolith. Anybody touched by the Astral Monolith of doom will be overwhelmed with fresh scent and then sent into the Astral Plane, never to return. Roll for initiative, the Monolith's speed modifier is one."

Player 3: "I don't know why we come here anymore."

Player 4: "Yo, man, I just want to kill that pink army man. He's freaking me out. Y'all rest of ya can fight that monolith."

• Like 9

One nit I have to pick regarding the interview. Bryan still kept reiterating about how their PC models sell twice as much as their monster miniatures.

I fully believe that to be the case up to this point...with metal. Not only is it common sense, but I heard it countless times in the Kickstarter comments. The reason monsters didn't sell as well was the cost. A DM couldn't afford to buy six or ten or twelve orcs, gnolls, or whatever in metal.

That is the big equalizer with Bones. Hordes of monsters are finally financially viable if Reaper would concentrate on them in the new medium. It's not that DMs didn't WANT to buy monsters, in the quantities required they couldnt afford to.

So you sell eight more of a PC model than a bugbear, but that's because the player only has to pay for the one mini. $6 for your character is pretty reasonable if that's the only fig you need for a year or two. Now give a DM the opportunity to get twelve skeletons for $16 and you're on to something...

Probably sounds like a rant, but it's not meant to be. I just think Bones changes the equation in a way Reaper may not have considered yet. While I love most of Reaper's character designs, I still think Bones' biggest strength is for affordable hordes, the things most couldn't afford to slap down on the table until now.

I agree with you. I expect that the initial idea for the bones and their prepainted figs. was to help DMs flesh out their dungeons. After all it was mostly monsters that are in the initial bones releases and they were selling like pancakes. As much as I also only wanted more monsters during the KS, I also understand that reaper wanted to bring their line of heroes into bones.

I was particularly underwhelmed by the familiars. I guess reaper thought it would be more popular since there were more people asking for it. DMs will always be outnumbered by players, so the cry for more monsters was probably deemed a minority. Similar to hero miniatures, players would simply get one copy of each familiar and never buy another, whereas with monsters you'd need to get half a dozen or so. With the familiars turning to bones, a gaming group will end up saving, what, half a blister in cost? If it was a monster and that gaming group buys half a dozen that's more savings, which will probably end up being used to buy yet more monsters.

In the end, I still decided to get as much as I can, coming out to 4x vampire. Because even just the monsters in the vampire pledge were well worth it's price.

Yeah, I think that in Bones, at least, Reaper's going to see a lot more monster sales. But I can't blame them for being conservative. This is, after all, the first time they've done this. Right now, they're going with a formula they know works. They'll adjust it as they get more sales numbers in.

• Like 1

They've put out a pile of the monsters one needs in bulk in almost any campaign or setting: creepy crawlies, the ubiquitous giant rat, kobolds, goblins, orcs, skeletons, zombies. It looks like Bones will also be stocking mummies, fishmen, lizardmen, various wraiths - all included in the KS. yeah, in smaller numbers, but they're not a dead-set guarantee in almost every DnD game ever. They've also put out all the big monsters you ever wanted but couldn't afford.

My problem is the Vampire pledge is such good value I almost can't bear to buy all the big guys i want!