Storm Giants

Shadowdragon

I think Buglips' guess is pretty accurate, after seeing her in-hand at the KS close party. She does not have the bulk of any of the other recent giants, and although she's multipart, she's not more than two pieces (body and sprue at most, and the weapon may have even been sprued off the base - I forget now). I can't see her being more than $30 if she were released in metal.

~v

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So . . . Bryan, since you're in this thread at the moment . . . can you tell me if there are any plans to make this Cloud Giant Lady in metal in the DHL line at some point? Or will she be Bones-only?

I learned a long time ago to never say Never.

Here's my take: We put this on mold to create the metal master that we sent to China. We kept that mold, so that if it were lost or damaged, we could replace that master. This means we have the ability to make more masters. this means we *could* make enough masters to make a production mold for our metal process. Will we? I don't have that data. It would be pretty expensive in metal, maybe $17-25, compared to the probably $5-8 in Bones. If, in time, we perceive a demand, or determine that it fits our plans, we can do that. We also have the option of not doing it, which is the direction we are going with that sculpt for the next 6 months, for certain. It absolutley won't go to metal before the KS backers get their plastic version, and decide to re-ignite this thread all over again.

Oh yeah, I didn't expect metal before the Bones. Just think she'd be hot in tin. Very hot.

I expect, despite current company intentions and my metal snobbery that wishes otherwise, that Bones will eventually dominate releases and metal will become the poor sister. That might be five years down the road, but Bones has pricing benefits that metal can't beat and the primary business I think is figures for games. I'll forever be a metal snob, but it's clear to me that Bones is going to take over.

That's why I'm hopeful the existing metals will still be available, metal might yet get a bit more love, or I get rich enough that I can call up Reaper HQ and say I'll pay for the whole cost including tooling to get X in metal because I'm a lunatic.

$1700 for a one-off Nethyrmaul? A bargain, sir. A bargain! *adjusts monocle*

• Like 2

So . . . Bryan, since you're in this thread at the moment . . . can you tell me if there are any plans to make this Cloud Giant Lady in metal in the DHL line at some point? Or will she be Bones-only?

Bones only? What like an undead storm giant with a bow?

Bones only? What like an undead storm giant with a bow?

Let's not give people any ideas to start complaining to Bryan that their "Bones" miniatures were characters who were not skeletons.

I'm just so dissapointed that Reaper didn't make an Giant-Undead-Clockwork-Cthulhu-Dragon. Now what will I use for my pc mini!

How about an elite hacker ninja with an epic sword & gun collection? Those aren't that common, right? Well, at least not outside the internets. x]

I'm just so dissapointed that Reaper didn't make an Giant-Undead-Clockwork-Cthulhu-Dragon. Now what will I use for my pc mini!

How about an elite hacker ninja with an epic sword & gun collection? Those aren't that common, right? Well, at least not outside the internets. x]

I don't know about hacker, but there's an Elite Snacker Ninja around here. My delicious pastry pies keep disappearing without any trace at all. That can only mean Snacker Ninja.

Or possibly a ghost with the munchies.

I expect, despite current company intentions and my metal snobbery that wishes otherwise, that Bones will eventually dominate releases and metal will become the poor sister. That might be five years down the road, but Bones has pricing benefits that metal can't beat and the primary business I think is figures for games. I'll forever be a metal snob, but it's clear to me that Bones is going to take over.

There isn't really a reason for Reaper not to have both Bones and metal mini's: Bones for high volume and low prices and metal for more variety than it makes sense to make plastic injection molds for. You could imagine that in a given year most releases would be metal but most of Reaper's sales would be Bones.

However, it might not makes sense sell metal minis that have Bones versions because most customers will go for the much cheaper plastic.