• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll tell you the story that popped into my mind the very instant I saw that concept art. It was like a key that unlocked a door, and I got a peek beyond.   I would only ever use this miniature onc

I disagree. I think it's a perfect gaming pose precisely because it's a poor traditional gaming pose. If I put that on the table, people will crack jokes.   8 rounds later when half the party is o

We already sort of do that, except instead of a bagpipe we just fill a kobold up with beans and squeeze 'im.   Also, kilts are not pants so I'll bring that to our leader. Which is me. You'd think

Yehpima: Why do you always ask me to tell people that I'm a Storm Giant, Donner? I'm proud of my Cloud Giant heritage!

Donner: You know my parents disapprove of mixed marriages! You can pass for Storm Giant, and it'll keep mom from complaining about how my 'good Storm Giant blood is being diluted by marrying outside of the clans' and 'why didn't you marry that nice Storm Giant girl that you were dating in college?'

Yehpima: Then why didn't we tell my parents that you're a Cloud Giant? Fair's fair.

Donner: Because your parents won't keep inviting us over to dinner to convince us to break up for the good of the clans! Your folks just don't care!

Yehpima: They care! They just... show it differently....

Donner: Honey, your mum asked me if we want to raise our kids as Storm Giants or Cloud Giants, all she really cares about is if we are going to have any, and if so, when. I love your parents... And they want to be grandparents, they'll love our kids no matter what the color of their clouds.... Besides, it's only for one week out of the year, do it for the pot roast.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
It was a metal master.

Just curious, metal masters are made as exact copies from the original green(?) sculpt? Then the metal masters are sent out for the molds to be made from them?

There will follow youtube links to a Virtual Tour of the shop, but it goes like this:

A sculptor begins with a green. This green is pressed into a rubber mold, from which we cast copies. This mold is called a Pattern Mold, and typically contains 4-8 different greens. These copies are cleaned and adapted to become perfect replicas of the green (removing mold lines, tool marks, etc). These become our Masters.

Masters, in a typical miniature, are then used to replicate our Production Molds, which have 8-16 copies of the same figure. When we make something, we make it in volume. For the Bones figures, the Master is sent to be laser scanned, for cutting into a steel injection mold. We use the metal Master for this so that we can replace it if it is lost or damaged - we cannot replace a green if it is damaged, as it is a one-of-a-kind Original piece of art.

Here's some YouTube videos that show our metal process better - I have nothing of our Bones process yet.

These copies are cleaned and adapted to become perfect replicas of the green (removing mold lines, tool marks, etc). These become our Masters.

Ok, so who gets the metal masters after they have been used? Does That Guy get to keep his metal Yephima?

Halber

These copies are cleaned and adapted to become perfect replicas of the green (removing mold lines, tool marks, etc). These become our Masters.

Ok, so who gets the metal masters after they have been used? Does That Guy get to keep his metal Yephima?

Halber

That one will go into the painted miniature museum in the factory. If you can get to the factory they will show you the "museum".

The masters stay with Reaper so they can continue to make production molds as needed (molds do not last forever; I think that is true even for the Bones stuff). Painted masters like Yephima will end up in the display cases at Reaper. As a general rule of thumb, miniature manufacturers don't let metal masters out "into the wild" as it were. With the correct tools and a metal master, you could produce Production quality figures, the same as Reaper does. Not that the same thing can't be done with a production copy, but it is a lot like photocopying.... the further from the original you get, the worse the copies become.

~v

• Forum Mascot

If Yehpima doesn't get a metal release, and if that finely painted metal master goes missing thereafter, I'd just like to state for the record that neither I nor my good friend Catwoman had anything to do with it.

For robbing museums, I usually hire Mysterio.

• Artists

Which is partly why you shouldn't panic when you hear about miniature moulds being destroyed. As long as someone, somewhere has a master, there's hope for bringing it back into production.