• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll tell you the story that popped into my mind the very instant I saw that concept art. It was like a key that unlocked a door, and I got a peek beyond.   I would only ever use this miniature onc

I disagree. I think it's a perfect gaming pose precisely because it's a poor traditional gaming pose. If I put that on the table, people will crack jokes.   8 rounds later when half the party is o

We already sort of do that, except instead of a bagpipe we just fill a kobold up with beans and squeeze 'im.   Also, kilts are not pants so I'll bring that to our leader. Which is me. You'd think

• Forum Mascot

Green AND violet. BOOM!

*Mind explodes*

Now I'm wondering how to get exploded goblin mind colors into the piece... Hmm...

Green and violet.

Now for solving this color dilemma, which you totally would never have figured out on your own, I deserve a painting credit. It should read: "Painted by Martin Jones, brains (not many) provided by Buglips". Synergy. We could go places, a team like us two.

I'm almost afraid to bring up the subject of digital again, but I'm genuinely curious. With the "laser scan -> CNC" step in there couldn't you laser scan the green and just archive the digital mesh, as well as sending it off for the production molds? Presumably you could copy/paste the mesh to make an 8-16 model production mold. You'd miss out on those awesome metal masters, but I suppose the greens could be painted and put in the museum. Or for that matter, the mesh could drive an in house CNC process from which rubber molds could be pulled to do metal casts.

The laser-scanning isn't done in-house. They have to send the model to the scanner. That's why they use a master, and not the original. A master can be replaced if it gets lost, the original cannot. If the laser-scan is done in China, where the mold is being put into production, then the chances of the master being lost in transition increase greatly. Shipping overseas is always risky.

Also, one does not paint the green. I'm pretty sure you can't make a mold from a painted green, because the paint will boil off during the vulcanization process and screw up the surface of the resulting masters.

• Like 1

Aww, I don't get to keep it? Shucks! Seriously though, the painted ones end up in the "Reaper Gallery of Painted Antiquities and Contemporary Oddities In Miniature" or RGPACOIM for short. I just made that name up.

I'd buy that.

Let me guess...they've got their 'top men' working on it...

Why am I picturing a giant warehouse that goes on forever filled with wooden crates... :ph34r:

Clearly a fan of Raiders o/t Lost Ark

I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on those and do them justice as well as I can do to them.

Undertone duly noted.

I'm almost afraid to bring up the subject of digital again, but I'm genuinely curious. With the "laser scan -> CNC" step in there couldn't you laser scan the green and just archive the digital mesh, as well as sending it off for the production molds? Presumably you could copy/paste the mesh to make an 8-16 model production mold. You'd miss out on those awesome metal masters, but I suppose the greens could be painted and put in the museum. Or for that matter, the mesh could drive an in house CNC process from which rubber molds could be pulled to do metal casts.

I think people have an overexceeded expectation of what digital scanning can do. Laser is light, so shiny surfaces can cause distortion, as well as missing undercuts. Even Jakks Pacific, which pioneered digital scanning in the action figure field on their wrestling figures, had to do touch ups after the 3d print out of the scan and then made a master not much unlike what Reaper does, except different materials, to make the final molds.

Now if you make a master directly in the computer, like Reaper does with the CAV line, then you still need to make a metal master, but at least you don't need to do as much touch up.

Halber