• Forum Mascot

I disagree. I think it's a perfect gaming pose precisely because it's a poor traditional gaming pose. If I put that on the table, people will crack jokes.

8 rounds later when half the party is on the ground and the cleric is desperately trying to triage the critical cases, nobody will be laughing any more. She will become an icon of terror. That pose won't say 'sexy, ha ha' anymore. It'll say 'which of you tiny mouthy halfwits wants a piece of the pain'?

And that transforms the mini from half-sexist joke to 100% pure feminism. She's confident, she's strong, she's sure of herself, and if anybody wants to judge her strictly on her appearance then they are in for a world of hurt and surprise. She will get your respect, even if she has to beat it from you.

ETA: and actually, that pose (assuming the sculpt matches the picture - which we don't even know yet) is full of all kinds of personality that makes it an excellent NPC. There's worlds of potential in it that a more "average, normal" fighting pose wouldn't have. Say she's a cloud giant, well they're neutral right? That means she can be ally or enemy, depending on circumstances.

So in the initial negotiations, that pose says "don't trifle with me and waste my time, or I'll smash you into greasy smear".

If the negotiations go badly, that same pose now says "give it your best shot, puny adventurer."

If they go well, then that exact same pose is full of satisfaction and smooth action-hero quips. It says "you might be puny, but you fight well for such tiny folk. Your tiny hearts are tall with courage."

I'd much rather have a flexible load of personality in a sculpt than "yet another average angry giant". There's already lots of roid rage giants and monsters. This one is different, and I for one welcome our new giant overlord.

• Like 10
  • Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll tell you the story that popped into my mind the very instant I saw that concept art. It was like a key that unlocked a door, and I got a peek beyond.   I would only ever use this miniature onc

I disagree. I think it's a perfect gaming pose precisely because it's a poor traditional gaming pose. If I put that on the table, people will crack jokes.   8 rounds later when half the party is o

We already sort of do that, except instead of a bagpipe we just fill a kobold up with beans and squeeze 'im.   Also, kilts are not pants so I'll bring that to our leader. Which is me. You'd think

• Forum Mascot

We needs to see the sculpt!

To, uh, put this issue to rest! Yes, that's it. And not at all because I'm still desperate to see what it looks like. No, not that. Strictly to lay to rest the, uh, controversy.

And I totally didn't pay anybody off to lodge complaints so I could finally get a peek at the sculpt, neither. Not that I didn't think of it, I'm just poor. Damn poor. Kickstarter Poor, if you will. And nobody would take payment in stanky shoes or beetle mush.

• Forum Mascot

I woulda been yer sock-puppet for beetle mush. But you didn't ask. Now I'm offended and you're out of luck.

Stupid goblins.

:grr:

You would? Dangit! And here I decided I needed to have a healthy breakfast for a change, and there's not so much as a leg, carapace, or antenna left.

I do, however, have some delicious mouldy mushroom pie. Nice and tender, full of cave dank.

Wow this is still going?

I wonder what kind of puritanical campaign people are playing in where all characters are wearing clothing from head to toe and the is no hint of sexuality in any form.

Just cuz a woman is sexy it doesn't make her weak.

I may have seen the master floating around the party at Reaper when the KS closed. If I did, I would tell you that I didn't notice anything but awesomeness. If there were any subpar antatomical issues, it was completely drowned out by the nifty-ness of it all. I found it to be pretty close to the art, but then, I don't see what a lot of people are seeing in the art with extra joints and all. Of course, I've been friends with the sculptor for over twenty years, so I may also be biased a bit.

The thread is kind of pointless. The mini is already sculpted, so criticising the artwork won't achieve anything. And we can only criticise the miniature itself when we see it.

Personally I love it. Storm Giants are Chaotic Good in Pathfinder, and her weapon looks like a caryatid column http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/caryatidColumn.html#caryatid-column which really lends itself to inventing crazy special rules. ("Okay, you have blocked the giantess' club but now it tries to sucker punch you with its stone fists.")

I disagree. I think it's a perfect gaming pose precisely because it's a poor traditional gaming pose. If I put that on the table, people will crack jokes.

8 rounds later when half the party is on the ground and the cleric is desperately trying to triage the critical cases, nobody will be laughing any more. She will become an icon of terror. That pose won't say 'sexy, ha ha' anymore. It'll say 'which of you tiny mouthy halfwits wants a piece of the pain'?

And that transforms the mini from half-sexist joke to 100% pure feminism. She's confident, she's strong, she's sure of herself, and if anybody wants to judge her strictly on her appearance then they are in for a world of hurt and surprise. She will get your respect, even if she has to beat it from you.

ETA: and actually, that pose (assuming the sculpt matches the picture - which we don't even know yet) is full of all kinds of personality that makes it an excellent NPC. There's worlds of potential in it that a more "average, normal" fighting pose wouldn't have. Say she's a cloud giant, well they're neutral right? That means she can be ally or enemy, depending on circumstances.

So in the initial negotiations, that pose says "don't trifle with me and waste my time, or I'll smash you into greasy smear".

If the negotiations go badly, that same pose now says "give it your best shot, puny adventurer."

If they go well, then that exact same pose is full of satisfaction and smooth action-hero quips. It says "you might be puny, but you fight well for such tiny folk. Your tiny hearts are tall with courage."

I'd much rather have a flexible load of personality in a sculpt than "yet another average angry giant". There's already lots of roid rage giants and monsters. This one is different, and I for one welcome our new giant overlord.

By all means, come up with stories for your models! Looking at a model and coming up with a story for it is one of the best parts of having the miniatures.

But the fact is that you must develop a very narrow and specific storyline to explain the figurine, that is bad design. You could easily make such a character with model with a much more neutral pose, as well as come up with different character concepts. So many concepts are just impossible, or very difficult, with the way the model is designed.

Additionally, I am tired of people seeing "idealized female character + strong" = feminism. This is not feminism, it's just a compound of idealized female, a perverse twist of "Strong female character", taking the strong part a bit too literally.

• Forum Mascot

It's feminism not because she's mighty, but because there's a lot more to what's going on than just first appearance. People are looking at her and making a judgement. I'm looking at her and I see her awash with personality. Brimming with potential. And I can explore this, use this, express this, and make it real for others. This pose says to me many different things, only a small fraction of which I used as examples. It's dynamic, it's interesting, it's unusual, and it's expressive.

It's fantastic.

If Reaper came out tomorrow and said something terrible has happened, the factory exploded, and we can only make a small portion of the Bones then I'd say give me the cyber-monkey, give me the clockwork dragon, and give me the cloud giantess. Keep the change. I can make enough stories around those three, the three best single figures in the entire line, to last years. Lots of the others are nice, but these three are mad fresh.

That giantess isn't just going to be a mini in my game. She's going to be a character. She's going to be remembered. And all that's going to happen because a talented Talin and (hopefully) an equally talented sculptor have combined forces to give me something unusually epic to work with. Splendid material to make things happen with.

Beyond that I don't know what to say, except maybe that I'm sorry you can't see the same potential. Because when that lady steps out on the stage for her big reveal, things are going to get legendary.

• Like 2
  • Forum Mascot

I'll tell you the story that popped into my mind the very instant I saw that concept art. It was like a key that unlocked a door, and I got a peek beyond.

I would only ever use this miniature once (by which I mean to represent one named NPC). I've never used a Cloud Giant before. Don't know much about them. But that's ok, because I can craft a lot with the basics.

Now my job is to give every character three dimensional life. I have to make them believably real. With personalities that have many facets. A setting isn't worth very much without a host of interesting people to populate the place. Now most minis? Most minis are swinging something, or charging something, or just standing around trying to look cool. They're not bad, but they're lacking inherent personality.

She isn't.

Immediately I saw that something would have to happen to get her involved in story with the characters. She's neutral, so if she's going to get involved then there need to be some stakes. But, nobody needs to know the stakes. Not right away. Better if they don't, actually.

So the first encounter ought to seem half-random, with neither side really knowing what's what. It should also be adversarial. The giantess should be cocky, and mocking, and totally overmatch the players. This is to force them to think fast, think smart, or perish.

Assuming they're not stupid, they should surrender or at least attempt negotiation. A bit of clever diplomacy here will go a long way. Maybe the dwarf cracks a funny joke, breaks the ice. Once they're talking, then they're getting somewhere. They have a chance to explain what they're up to, and how they wound up here fighting a giant.

So maybe she decides to listen. Maybe she finds their tale interesting. Maybe she even likes them a bit. So she'll provide some info that she didn't know they wanted to know, and help them along their way.

First encounter.

Now, we need her to come back. This time, it should be because the players have found out something she needs to know. So they travel back to her realm to return the favour. It's something serious, raises the stakes and tension, and now she's going to get involved. Maybe in her own way, tending her own baliwick first. But the players know they have at least a potential ally.

Now they go, do some more adventuring, and it's time to raise the stakes again. Now it's time to introduce their common enemy, and get them to work together. This should be oblique, like maybe the player's big baddum is allied (or controls) a baddum who threatens mischief on her turf. She can handle some of it, but maybe there's a critical role for the little people to play. They work together, success is achieved. Gratitude +1.

Now, they return to their realm and maybe this time she owes them one. So they get into a mighty old throwdown and things are going badly. So they use a magical device to call on her assistance. She comes, cocky as ever, and helps them win the day by doing what she does best. Smashing things with that big ol' club.

Now the main villain behind all this recognizes her as a huge threat to his plans. He can probably take the players, but needs her out of the way so he can work his nefarious multifaceted scheme. So he calls up some buddies in the abyss, makes a few connections, and gets something evil to sneak into her realm and immobilize her. Curse, poison, whatever. Now she's in bad shape, and dying. Weakened and helpless. The players seek her out, but she doesn't want to see them. Doesn't want them to see her. She's not their superior anymore, not even an equal.

Now the players must find a way to save her! Adventure happens, they win, and they restore her . . . but not quite all the way. She's not back to her old self. But she's mad. Mad as hell. Now it's time to smash some interlopers. She calls up some of her friends, and gets a cloud giant posse. Turns out she's pretty important, actually, and now the other cloud giants hold the players in esteem. And they're none too happy about extraplaner interference from some stinking demon pits.

So the cloud giants set off to find the demons and make them pay. The demons are allied with the big baddum, so the players go after him. Parallel epic fights ensue, and then cross dimensions. Maybe the baddum plays his final card and summons the demons. Maybe the demons do something he didn't expect. Maybe they betray each other, but the two parallel battles wind up in the same place for the final showdown.

Things escalate, tension rises, the stakes grow desperate indeed. The battle is close, and nearly lost. The demons, in their rage, unleash all their power. The players are doomed!

But our cloud giantess, seeing the peril, intervenes. Takes the full force of the demon assault, which is just enough for the players to survive. Now the battle is over, the day is theirs. But at what cost? Both sides are devastated.

The cloud giantess yet lives, but she will fight no more. The end is near. She is glad, now, to have met them. To have stood by their side in battle. To have laughed, and cried, shared stories, and made legend. She was wrong to ever underestimate them, for truly they are strong in many ways. She dies, and her companions return to their realm with her. The players are brought as honored guests, hailed as heroes, and entered into cloud giant legend.

Now that's just a threadbare outline of what I saw as soon as I looked at that pic and saw all the personality in that sculpture. That was a thing I could make something out of. I could stretch that interwoven story over two years and build it up so slowly, and so deeply, that at the end there wouldn't be a dry eye around the table.

I could maybe do it without the sculpt, sure. But the sculpt spoke to me, and that's a rare level of inspiration. That's something with so much story potential that at the end I'd have to retire the mini because it would be too strongly associated with that story. It would always be her. That giantess. That single, unique character.

And when you know you have to retire a mini, and that your players would insist on it, then you know you've done your job right.

Or, y'know, you could just waste her as a monster encounter and complain that her pose isn't monstery enough. Whatever makes the game fun for you.

• Like 13