Sign in to follow this  
Shadowdragon

Storm Giants

Wait, you want to introtuce your party to an encounter they cannot possibly win, introduce this perfect giantess character who you find amazing, and have her save the day in the end. That isn't a character, that is a DM PC. I think you've forgotten that DMing ins't about crafting a story about a random Giantess, but crafting a story for and around the players. It's going to be very hit or miss when you introduce the character, they may like her, or they may hate her guts.

Wait, you want to introtuce your party to an encounter they cannot possibly win, introduce this perfect giantess character who you find amazing, and have her save the day in the end. That isn't a character, that is a DM PC. I think you've forgotten that DMing ins't about crafting a story about a random Giantess, but crafting a story for and around the players. It's going to be very hit or miss when you introduce the character, they may like her, or they may hate her guts.

I have to partially disagree here. I love well thought out, complex and memorable npcs. As a player, they really make the game for me. Of course I'm not just a min/maxer hack and slash kinda player. And there, is where you have to know what kind of players you have as a DM. Are they mature role-players? Or are they the kind of players for whom everything that's not a pc is there to kill?

However, as a DM, for my current group, with the exception of one player, I would not create any backstory for an npc. They simply don't care. All they want is xp's and treasure. While not fulfilling from a creative standpoint as a DM, unlike B.A. Felton, I have learned to role with the punches (although truly I sooo identify with the KoDT comic). The game has become more of a chess game, with me as the DM vs. the players. It can be kind of fun sometimes. But I very much long for a group that I can role-play with once again. Plans are in place to make that happen, hopefully beginning this weekend.

• Like 2

DR, have you ever read the RPG "Sorcerer" by Ron Edwards? Or, if you like traditional fantasy, "Burning Wheel"? Very different games, but both are set up to encourage and reward roleplay. DnD and its descendants have a points scoring system, and that system runs on kills. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No, I haven't heard of those, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip. I really try to encourage role-play in my games. Extra xp and especially I like handing out traits. Also, I try to point out that you don't necessarily have to kill a monster/npc in order to defeat it. I've had great success in the past, but for some reason, this group I've been running for the past two years, just isn't interested. Different folks, different strokes I guess.

I absolutely love this lady and I'm glad to hear that the sculpt seems to have held true to the original concept art.

I personally prefer minis with more dynamic poses, especially ones that aren't obviously giving in to their berserker rage. For me, the minis are there to use as place markers for your characters and help you visualize where in the room/dungeon/battle/wherever your character is. It's up to your imagination to make them come to life and either battle it up or interact with the other characters. I'd rather the sculpt convey a unique personality than what my pc looks like as they're about to start hacking and slashing. Killing things is only about 1/3 of what they do and I'd rather it not be the element that everyone focuses on when they see my mini.

Just my two cents.

Edit again, because my coffee's kicked in and I can be downright nice about it.

You can't craft a story for and around the players if you have no story to craft. They have to do something, and they have to feel like it matters. They can't win every fight, sometimes they have to be outmatched and use their wits. If they do, I reward them. Players always have choice, but that doesn't mean they want to choose randomly. If you put the effort in to create rich NPCs and environments, they'll totally follow the trail. Because they'll want to, they'll be too interested to do otherwise.

I don't make characters and shoehorn them in. My example was just the very first hint of posibility. An outline. A vague goal. 100 different things can happen along the way, many possibly even more interesting. It's not like I've actually worked her out yet. I haven't even looked up Cloud Giants yet. It's just the very first hint of something bigger and better.

I know how to deliver as a DM. I know how to create story and make more on the fly. I know how to take characters the players make and weave them into this story and make them feel like what they do matters. The choices they have create consequences. People want to play my games because my games are like freeform novels. My NPCs have depth, lots of stuff going on. They have to, or they won't seem real.

There's a place for that giantess in my campaign because she's different. She's unusually cool. Therefore she deserves to be elevated and have a bigger story footprint. I want more miniatures like this!

And in any case, we've got her now. So you have to live with her. I'm trying to suggest ways you can make that easier and more fun, and show you why this concept got me super excited.

Edit to add: And while you can't make them love her, you can make the players want to love her. They got to get to know her, you see. That way, when it's up to them to save her you can really put the screws to them. Have them race the clock, have to go off unprepared, ratchet up the tension and bring them right to the wire. Make them want to be desperate to save her, not just as characters they're playing, but as players who want to see more of her in the game.

If you're not trying to blow their minds, you're not trying.

• Like 4

I know how to deliver as a DM. I know how to create story and make more on the fly. I know how to take characters the players make and weave them into this story and make them feel like what they do matters. The choices they have create consequences. People want to play my games because my games are like freeform novels. My NPCs have depth, lots of stuff going on. They have to, or they won't seem real.

Buglips,

The house across the street from me is for rent. It's a nice neighborhood. Please move in and run a game. You can use my pool.

• Like 1

Buglips,

The house across the street from me is for rent. It's a nice neighborhood. Please move in and run a game. You can use my pool.

Goblins can't swim. But wait, you already knew that? Clever.

Yes, I hate opinions. Opinions are the worst!

Mine aren't. I love my opinions, and agree with all of them!

Not so sure about yours. Yours may be different from mine, and thus weird and strange to me.

:-p :-p

• Like 2

Not so sure about yours. Yours may be different from mine, and thus weird and strange to me.

I hate my opinions. They're almost always wrong. In fact, I hate my opinion of my opinions. Hateception?

• Like 1

I hate my opinions. They're almost always wrong. In fact, I hate my opinion of my opinions. Hateception?

+1000 bonus points.

• Like 2