Fantasy Mini Only Vampire Level Option?

Howdy all,

First off let me say that I'm super excited to have gotten in on the vampire level pledge. I can't wait to get my minis and start building up my collection. That said, I've noticed on these forums and kickstarter, an overwhelming interest in swaping out the non-classic fantasy minis (ie Nova, IMEF marines, zombie hunters, and/or etc.). I posted this idea on kickstarter, but I figured I might try here to see what Reaper thought.

Would Reaper be interested in offering a second vampire option of classic fantasy only minis? The selections would still be fixed and at your discretion, and I think it would make a lot of customers happy. It should also make logisitcs fairly straightforward since its only a single fixed alternative (in addition to the Sophia swap out option).

• Like 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This dead horse has been beaten and resurrected and beaten again to the point there's nothing left but a pulpy sack of goo.   It's been stated repeatedly this is not going to happen. You can swap S

Part of it, too, is that we (the established regular people) have already been given a definite answer on this by Reaper. It is not an open question, and so we're not treating it as such. Politely e

Howdy all,   First off let me say that I'm super excited to have gotten in on the vampire level pledge. I can't wait to get my minis and start building up my collection. That said, I've noticed on

Just be happy with what you are getting. It's already a monumental task, and creating these kinds of options is simply impractical. If you don't want the non-fantasy minis, there is an active trade thread. I'm sure you'll find interest in the items you don't want.

Why not just mod the figs or chop them up for bits to mod with. Handguns and rifles are easily turned into crosbows with just a little bent piece of wire or tin. I have used the tin leads that are snipped off for crossbows and spikes or horns in the past.

As there has been some discussion about paint techniques and durability, you could always use the unwanted figures for your experiments. Though by the time we get them, we should have a pretty good idea of what works and doesn't.

I'd second the OPs position here, because while it is similar to the questions asked on kickstarter perhaps there is a simpler way for Reaper to appease the fans in this section of the audience. So here's what we know (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

There is a vocal section of kickstarter backers that only have use for the Fantasy minis (whether it's a vocal minority or majority is unknown and unknowable)

Reaper does not want a pure mix and match option because at that point it would be a buffet line and a logistical nightmare.

Reaper wants to grow its BONES line, which they feel should include non-fantasy minis

So here's my humble suggestion:

Have an all fantasy option. Don't make it a full on you choose whatever option, but throw out the often named non-fantasy figures and put in some different fantasy ones (Reaper's choice). The logistical nightmare is avoided (at least to the extent that it is no more difficult than the Sophie option) and the vocal section of kickstarter backers are happier.

I don't think that saying you should be happy with what you got is adding a whole lot to the conversation, not to pick on Seadragon, I've heard this several times from several sources. We (I count myself among the fantasy only crowd, though I'm sure I'll find some use or trade if necessary for the others Zombie Hunters for example could be extra characters in the Zombicide board game) are obviously very pleased with the purchase. I wouldn't put in $300+ if I wasn't. Asking for something that suits both our desires and Reaper's abilities (in a polite fashion) doesn't hurt anything. Reaper can very easily say no, and being the company they are I'm sure they will have a very good reason for it. I'm just throwing it out there.

• Like 1

This dead horse has been beaten and resurrected and beaten again to the point there's nothing left but a pulpy sack of goo.

It's been stated repeatedly this is not going to happen. You can swap Sophie. That's it. People asking this question repeatedly in multiple threads in hopes to finally get your wish is behavior I expect to see from a 7 year old in the cookie aisle at the grocery. Reaper is going to be busy enough just sorting the 16000 packages without having to then turn around and pick out the handful of BONUS miniatures that came with the pledge and then replace it with something else.

Just the additional man hours required for this additional handling makes it unfeasible. There are less than 30 people working at Reaper. It's going to be an amazing task just to get everything done on time. And now you want to add even more complexity to this? Are you going to pay for those hours to get what you want? Or do you expect Reaper to do it for free?

Why gripe about 20 free minis out of 200+? And yes they are free. You paid $100 for the initial vampire pledge. Everything else is just a bonus. Just like when you buy any large set there are usually items thrown in that are not commonly used. If you buy a set of pots and pans, are you going to open the box and expect the store to swap out the 2 qt pot because you really prefer a 1.5 qt saucier? No. You buy the lot. Or you pay a crapload more to buy each piece you want individually. If you didn't like the Chronoscope minis ADDED to the Vampire level, you could have always cancelled your pledge, and then bought all those fantasy minis at retail once they were available. For about $425. If you want to only pay $100 then you have to deal with those extra 20 miniatures. I don't know about you, but I don't have a spare $300 just to say no to Chronoscope.

The Chrono bones were EXTRAS added to your pledge. If you do not want them.

Trade them.

Gift them.

Recycle them.

Throw them away.

Let this good horse stay dead and buried. It's been through enough as it is.

• Like 7

Good point Frank!

And not to pick on you Aubrey, but you knew what you were getting when you elected to pledge for the Vampire level. Asking Reaper to modify it because it doesn't include just the things you want (and has been posted - and shot down - repeatedly) makes this conversation pointless to begin with. Sure, I'm not thrilled with everything they're throwing in. But at the same time, even if I don't want everything I at least realize that asking for this level of customization does not make sense.

For all we know, they will have the factory in China package up all the base pledges as they come off the line. Since the metal miniature is the only thing that changes, they can do it all right there and then add either Sophie or the swapped out items in Texas. That is extremely simple (comparitively). What you suggest is that they create at least a second packaging outline for Vampire (and THAT alters the mold design and creates more headaches) to accommodate some people.

So while it's all well and good to express what you'd like to see happen, we've been told many times that it isn't going to work that way. Nor should it. Again, I'm not super excited about some of the stuff either. But at about 42 cents per miniature I'm going to be happy with what I'm getting.

• Like 1
  • Forum Mascot

Anybody who doesn't love the Cybermonkey is a heathen nonbeliever who shall perish in the fire of his wrath on delivery day!

So when you open that box, you best say real loud:

I love the cybermonkey!

I love the cybermonkey!

I love the cybermonkey!

Make sure he hears.

• Like 2

I think one thing that the people asking for more options are missing is that replacing Sophie with Bones almost surely saves Reaper money both because the cost of plastic is so low and because they don't have to ship separate packages. There is no similar advantage to them for letting people switch Bones with Bones.

Also that thing about the Cyber-Monkey.

• Like 1

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't read every comment from Reaper on the Kickstarter, so if my idea had been suggested I apologize. In no way do I want to beat the dead horse of "let me trade out the cybermonkey (just for you buglips) for the dungeon dressing, and by the way let me let me swap 2 of the mummies for another couple rats." I don't think anyone that read the Reaper responses to that suggestion would repeat the same thing over and over (I could be wrong on that too, but I sure hope not). I did think that this idea was sufficiently different from the previous rendition that I'd bring it up though.

I absolutely did know what I was getting into when I pledged, and by the by, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. If the request is unreasonable (under the assumption that this is a new request, if not again, I apologize) then I will be more than happy to find something to do with the figures that I have no particular use for. If this option were available, I would gladly pay more for the time and effort Reaper put in.

Seadragon and lowlylowlcook makes a good points about the production of metal vs. plastic though which I hadn't thought of. That may indeed be another logistical nightmare and would make sense since Sophie was going to be shipped earlier than the BONES minis in the first place. I don't think any of us know for sure what customization does or can make sense though unless we ask so I still don't feel like the conversation is pointless. If nothing else we've learned that I won't be opening the cybermonkey so he doesn't get offended by my lack of chanting.

So just to summarize: It is very possible that this current suggestion has been made before. If so I have not seen it and I apologize. The suggestion posed is different enough from what I had seen before to raise a honest question. If the suggestion isn't a good one, there is no need for argument, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Also of note: buglips will be receiving an extra cybermonkey in the mail.

It would make sense that the factory in China will be doing some of the sorting/packing for Reaper. A proper injection molding setup would include ejecting parts into hoppers and automated packaging of a collection of those parts. In this case Reaper could simply have one each of the 240 Bones models put into one bag (a Vampire pledge), then have each of the "extras" (Fighters, BBEG, Elves) put in their own bags, and likewise for the optional add-ons (giants, ebonwrath, etc.)

Order fulfillment state-side would be reduced to throwing ~1-10 bags in a box. The Sophie swap is much easier because it's coming from a different process (metal) and would likely be one of those "individually wrapped" things to begin with.

I don't disagree at all with the folks posting these threads, however. Forums are conversational in nature. When you walk into a room you don't interrogate everyone that's been there to find out everything that's been said up to that point before speaking. You listen for a little while, and then bring up a topic you think has some merit. Being assaulted by everyone in the room because you didn't know that conversation was settled earlier is an unpleasant way to go about things. I'm not accusing anyone here of assault, but keep in mind that Reaper has a ton of new fans right now, and these threads are likely to be their first exposure to the established Reaper community. If you're tired of repeating an answer, don't reply. I'm sure someone else will.

• Like 1

It's been mentioned a couple times elsewhere why we stopped seeing additional free models at the end of the KS project; it had grown so large, that it was no longer becoming practical to do so. The associated cost with adding extra unpaid models to Reaper's overhead was too great. So, unless the all-fantasy offer you are looking for were only to include extra models of stuff you are already receiving (which still creates a logistics issue that I've already documented in a similar thread), it would require Reaper to produce an additional 20 molds (at ~$10K each = $200K) to make this option possible. While this specific request has not been made prior to this thread (as far as I'm aware), the general request (to swap out some models for others - which is what this is) has been posted repeatedly, both in the threads here, and the Bones KS comments page. Reaper has repeatedly answered that only the Sophie can be swapped out, and nothing else.

I realize that there is a lot of material to read out there about the KS, especially if you are new to the forums. However, it really does behoove you (not anyone in specific, but just new members in general) to spend a little time catching up. You will find that most things you might question have probably already been addressed, and you might learn some things that you didn't expect. There were definitely some silly moments in the main KS thread, but there was also a lot of productive conversation too.

~v

You're getting hundreds of miniatures for virtually nothing per model (about $0.31 per model when you factor 240 models for $75 which is vampire minus sophie)

Take the ones you don't want, sell them on ebay for a buck or two apiece, make back the money you spent, enjoy having all the minis you really wanted for free or at least way cheaper now.

• Like 1