Fantasy Mini Only Vampire Level Option?

taggart6

Participation is fun!

I actually don't mind repetitive questions, so long as they're from different people. I'm coming here after 7 years on the eBay boards, and that's a repetitive place.

All I ask is:

1. When you get the answer and now you're in the know, tell the next person who asks. That way it's not the same regular ID(s) here having to answer it each time.

2. When somebody gets an answer, that they not ignore it and press on regardless! (eBay is the worst board ever for this, and it absolutely drives me into a foaming mouth rage to see it. If you ain't gonna listen to the answer, don't ask the question!)

That way we can help people get informed with maybe a bit less repetition and irritation.

Now let's all shake hands and swear eternal allegiance to the CyberMonkey.

• Like 2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I am a bit disappointed by the hate/anger my comment generated in this forum.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed by the number of new members that presume to know Reaper's business better than Reaper does. However, I don't see anyone here spewing any hate or anger, in your direction or any other. This forum is one of the most reasonable and least insular online communities that I know of (likely due to the fact that events like ReaperCon bring so many of us together to meet in person). Poke it enough times with a stick, however, and ultimately, you will provoke a response.

Reaper has made it plainly clear, repeatedly, that there will be no swaps other than Sophie. The deal is as good as it is because it is fixed, keeping logistical hurdles to a minimum. While the suggestions put forth have been interesting, each has ramifications (cost, time, alienation of retailers, etc.).

Continuing to pursue it smacks of some sense of entitlement rather than a desire to see what is best for everyone, Reaper included. Not every stretch goal in the KS program pleased every backer equally; almost 20,000 of us participated in it, and a fair number of people wanted Chronoscope miniatures as part of it. It's time to stop counting the horse's number of teeth.

~v

Also just wanted to transplant this comment from another thread, because it's relevant to the discussion here on eBay and pricing -- Chronoscope+IMEF+Nova+Zombie Hunters represent $165.85 in models currently available in metal. If you assume Bones MSRP will be between half and a third of metal prices, you'll be able to eBay them for $50-$80 quite easily.

That's not what this particular thread is suggesting. It's referring to a second Vampire pledge reward pack, with a different composition.

I'm well aware of what the OP was asking for, but you say potato... you know the rest. It's a swap; call it what you want, but it's a swap. Figures you don't want for figures you do.

Sophie works as a swap-out for several reasons; none of those apply to the Bones situation.

~v

Continuing to pursue it smacks of some sense of entitlement rather than a desire to see what is best for everyone, Reaper included. Not every stretch goal in the KS program pleased every backer equally; almost 20,000 of us participated in it, and a fair number of people wanted Chronoscope miniatures as part of it. It's time to stop counting the horse's number of teeth.

I could agree with you if it was the same person bringing it up, but it isn't. Perhaps the Reaper community hasn't yet absorbed the fact that it's likely quintupled in size in the last 30 days? Most of people asking questions here are doing so with <10 posts under their belt. I'm new here, and I am suffering from a bit of culture shock. The comments thread on the Kickstarter was non-stop patience and tolerance. Do you know how many times someone asked "how do I select options, I only see Vampire?" Many hundreds, easily. Never once was someone told to stop asking stupid questions. Hundreds of times people asked "can I swap out X too?" and hundreds of times myself and others relied, "no, there are no plans to allow swaps at this time." etc. Now we've moved over here to stay connected to the community and a lot of the responses are at best very cold, and at worst downright hostile. I'm guessing that the difference is we've entered a pretty exclusive clubhouse of tight-knit friends that has just grown rather unexpectedly. You're not used to getting the same questions repeatedly, but if you add thousands of people to a forum, it's going to happen. Save your wrath for individuals that are misbehaving... not new folks that are trying to be helpful.

Also just wanted to transplant this comment from another thread, because it's relevant to the discussion here on eBay and pricing -- Chronoscope+IMEF+Nova+Zombie Hunters represent $165.85 in models currently available in metal. If you assume Bones MSRP will be between half and a third of metal prices, you'll be able to eBay them for $50-$80 quite easily.

Well, based on the prices of similarly sized figures already in the Bones line...the cybermonkey would probably be about $3, marines maybe $2.50 each, everyone else $2.00, full retail. So realistic retail value of the 25 non-fantasy minis is likely $50, which means if you want to actually sell them you'll need to make it cheaper than going to the game shop and just picking them up, so I think my estimate of $30 or so is pretty accurate.

• Like 1

To be honest I am a bit disappointed by the hate/anger my comment generated in this forum.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed by the number of new members that presume to know Reaper's business better than Reaper does. However, I don't see anyone here spewing any hate or anger, in your direction or any other. This forum is one of the most reasonable and least insular online communities that I know of (likely due to the fact that events like ReaperCon bring so many of us together to meet in person). Poke it enough times with a stick, however, and ultimately, you will provoke a response.

Reaper has made it plainly clear, repeatedly, that there will be no swaps other than Sophie. The deal is as good as it is because it is fixed, keeping logistical hurdles to a minimum. While the suggestions put forth have been interesting, each has ramifications (cost, time, alienation of retailers, etc.).

~v

I think you are completely entailed to your opinion and I get what your saying. However, unless you officially speak for Reaper I think its really just that, your opinion. Personally, I view my suggestion different from the individuality specific swap out requests made here and on kickstarter. You don't.

That's actually fine since I'm most curious to know what Reaper thinks. Either way I'll back them 100% and look forward to playing with my bones when they get in!

• Like 1

The comments thread on the Kickstarter was non-stop patience and tolerance. Do you know how many times someone asked "how do I select options, I only see Vampire?" Many hundreds, easily. Never once was someone told to stop asking stupid questions. Hundreds of times people asked "can I swap out X too?" and hundreds of times myself and others relied, "no, there are no plans to allow swaps at this time." etc.

Actually thought about running a metric on the comments stream, but it broke my spreadsheet faster than the media bumps did. :upside:

Suffice it to say though, if Reaper can find a cost effective manner in which to accomodate this request (which they have been made aware of since way back when the first Chronoscope figures were revealed) they will. As of yet they haven't...so they won't at this point.

One of the things that actually worked to the benefit over there wasn't so much that there was more patience and tolerance (because trust me, the last week was filled with great crying and gnashing of teeth with almost every reveal) - rather it moved so fast that things were dropped 10 pages back in short order.

Perhaps the Reaper community hasn't yet absorbed the fact that it's likely quintupled in size in the last 30 days?

There have been ~530 new members since the start of the KS campaign; the forums had nearly 6500 members prior to that. Hardly quintupling.

Never once was someone told to stop asking stupid questions.

As you already pointed out, the comments page was not searchable, and things passed by quickly. The forums are not "fire and forget" like the KS comments page was. It took me less than a minute to locate those 3 posts I linked earlier addressing that items from the Vampire package could not be swapped out. No one is telling anyone to shut up, or to stop asking stupid questions. What is being said, is that your question has been answered, here is where and why, continuing to ask is not productive.

Save your wrath for individuals that are misbehaving... not new folks that are trying to be helpful.

I'm not sure what "wrath" you think is out there. I guess having someone provide you with information that supports their point is wrath? Um, ok?

~v

That's not what this particular thread is suggesting. It's referring to a second Vampire pledge reward pack, with a different composition.

I'm well aware of what the OP was asking for, but you say potato... you know the rest. It's a swap; call it what you want, but it's a swap. Figures you don't want for figures you do.

Sophie works as a swap-out for several reasons; none of those apply to the Bones situation.

~v

I agree. It is a swap, and Reaper has said it won't do any swaps except for Sophie (for the reasons you reference). While I absolutely understand your frustration, please understand that those that want only fantasy minis see an minor inefficiency, not worth complaining about, but perhaps fixable (hence the discussion). Is there any harm in suggesting a slightly different course of action without expectation or entitlement?

Example (not based in any way on real life): My wife tells me that I will be sleeping on the couch for a month because I have purchased $300 worth of miniatures that she feels is a horrible waste of money. I say "I understand, that is a lot of money. How about I sleep on the couch for 3 weeks and get conjugal visits." To which she says "No, there will be no conjugal visits." I understand what has taken place and (mostly) don't regret my decision, but that won't stop me from saying the following, "You know I've noticed you've put some items in the save for later section on amazon. Perhaps we should put those items in the shopping cart since we are saving money from refinancing the house. Any chance of getting off the couch within the month?"

At this point it is very possible that she will say no, and we move on with our life (unfortunate as that may be). But there is a possibility that she'll say yes despite saying no to the previous suggestion.

• Like 1

I think you are completely entailed to your opinion and I get what your saying. However, unless you officially speak for Reaper I think its really just that, your opinion. Personally, I view my suggestion different from the individuality specific swap out requests made here and on kickstarter. You don't.

That's actually fine since I'm most curious to know what Reaper thinks. Either way I'll back them 100% and look forward to playing with my bones when they get in!

You are absolutely correct; a fair bit of that post (especially the last part) is strictly opinion, and no, I don't work for Reaper. I do know logistics, and I am familiar with at least the basics of Reaper's production and shipping departments. Does that mean I can make business decisions for them? Of course not. Does that mean that I'm unable to postulate the various challenges that making changes to the Vampire package would cause? Of course I can. The most overriding factor is that Reaper has already said no to swaps. While an alternate package of fantasy-only figures seems like a reasonable compromise to that (as a consumer), Reaper will still need to do what makes the most sense for them.

Bryan cautioned back in the beginning of the Conjecture Thread to not get your hopes too high for something, just in case it doesn't happen. Considering the current climate, this would seem to be one of those things not to get your hopes up for. Perhaps the RPM will prove that wrong, but I'd be very surprised if it does.

Regardless of all that nonsense, if these are your first Reaper miniatures, I hope you enjoy them, whether you are "stuck" with the non-fantasy ones or not.

EDIT: @AubreyE - I love a good analogy. That one made me laugh out loud (and perhaps hit a little too close to home this month). :;):

I agree, from the consumer end, it is a minor inefficiency. However, in the posts that I linked, in at least one instance, Bryan explains *why* such swaps are not practical from Reaper's side. Does much more need to be said about it then?

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Bryan cautioned back in the beginning of the Conjecture Thread to not get your hopes too high for something, just in case it doesn't happen. Considering the current climate, this would seem to be one of those things not to get your hopes up for. Perhaps the RPM will prove that wrong, but I'd be very surprised if it does.

Regardless of all that nonsense, if these are your first Reaper miniatures, I hope you enjoy them, whether you are "stuck" with the non-fantasy ones or not.

EDIT: @AubreyE - I love a good analogy. That one made me laugh out loud (and perhaps hit a little too close to home this month). :;):

I agree, from the consumer end, it is a minor inefficiency. However, in the posts that I linked, in at least one instance, Bryan explains *why* such swaps are not practical from Reaper's side. Does much more need to be said about it then?

~v

I want to be clear that in no way do I mean for my suggestion to get anyone's hopes up and I appolgize if any one felt I was spreading false rumors or misinformation. It was merely a suggestion to help put the swap out requests to rest in a way that was hopefully beneficial and positive for all parties. Regardless of what happens, I think everyone is still really excited about the figures and can't wait. At the very least, I know its brought me (and many others) into the world of minis.

~v

Good to know I'm not the only one on the couch :-).

I guess we disagree on how this proposal was different from or whether it falls under the same net as the previous answers, which is perfectly acceptable from where I sit because I can see both sides. I have a suspicion that the lack of response from Reaper in this thread is a response in and of itself (so they don't set a precedent for answering every time we think we have a brilliant idea which won't work in reality). I don't have particularly high hopes for the idea, but figured it was worth throwing out there. I'm not holding my breath.

Starting to feel like we're splitting hairs here. Yes, I said quintupling when I should have just said "grown"... I didn't have forum metrics, so I was guessing that 17,744 people was probably 5 times as many as would be regulars on the forum. Obviously they're not all new Reaper customers, obviously they're not all registering on the forum, obviously they're not all asking for swaps. Poor word choice. Mea culpa.

Since you do have forum metrics, I accept that this forum has grown in registered users by a mere 7.7%. Can we say then "there are 500 new folks here"? If we can, can we agree that the people asking for swaps are mostly new folks? Perhaps we could then leap to the conclusion that they're not suffering from a sense of entitlement, or coming on here acting like they know Reaper's business better than Reaper... and instead they're just new folks making a suggestion? My opinion, and it's just that, is that the responses they've been getting in this thread and others are not making new folks feel welcome. I'm not sure "wrath" is entirely the right word to describe your responses, but they have not been friendly, supportive, or welcoming by any definition I can accept.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed by the hate/anger my comment generated in this forum. I was kinda hoping to hear more constructive criticism rather then name calling or implying that I'm or others are ungrateful for voicing an honest suggestion that I have not seen posted anywhere else.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed by the number of new members that presume to know Reaper's business better than Reaper does.

Lovely.

• Like 1

I agree. It is a swap, and Reaper has said it won't do any swaps except for Sophie (for the reasons you reference). While I absolutely understand your frustration, please understand that those that want only fantasy minis see an minor inefficiency, not worth complaining about, but perhaps fixable (hence the discussion). Is there any harm in suggesting a slightly different course of action without expectation or entitlement?

It may be minor to you, but where do you stop? If Reaper adds a Fantasy only option, then what about the people who want a Sci-Fi only option? Should they get it, or not? And if they do, what about the people who want a Character Figure only option? What about the people who want a DM Monster only option?

That is the problem with adding "simple" options. They're never so simple. And no matter what you do, someone is unhappy.

As for whether or not Shak speaks for Reaper. Technically, he doesn't. However, he's been a member of this forum for far longer than I have, he lives relatively close to Reaper, visits them frequently, and is well known to all of the Reaper team on a first name basis. From past experience, I can tell you he is one of the people here who can be trusted to give you a pretty straight scoop on what Reaper's answers will be. If, for whatever reason, he is wrong, one of the Reaper peeps WILL swoop in pretty fast and both correct and admonish him.

• Like 2