Sign in to follow this  
Citrine

Bones Wyrm and Ghost

My take on the Purple Wyrm 77006:

post-4115-0-65199400-1346281235_thumb.jpg

post-4115-0-84814700-1346281246_thumb.jpg

post-4115-0-50501000-1346284123_thumb.jpg

Speed paint of Ghost 77007, I have bent this guy to heck and back, no damage to the paint job:

post-4115-0-03615900-1346281299_thumb.jpg

post-4115-0-36004200-1346281314_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They both look really good! The osl on the tombstone is really well done. My only issue is the teeth on the worm, they seem rather stark. I would suggest some glazes to tone them down and give them some shading.

Unless you're going for the stark cartoonish look, in which case I suggest making them even starker with some blacklining around them.

That's a taste/preference thing. I'm a big fan of the cartoony style.

If you're going for a more natural looking blend, do as humansquish suggests.

In any case, question of the teeth aside, you did a phenomenal job on the Purple Wyrm's skin.

The is one of my favorite takes on a purple worm paint scheme that I've ever seen; absolutely beautiful. I do however agree that the teeth are much too white and don't look 'natural'.

The OSL on the gravestone really does compliments the paint on the ghost very nicely.

A very nice paintjob indeed. I agree with the teeth. I really like the little flower besides the worm. It does add a lot to the worm. Destruction on the one side and yet the delicate flower survived by pure chance. What did you use to make the flower? Some herb or dried petal?

I am going to have to say that I love the starkness of the teeth in contrast to the deep purple of the rest of the worm. (I dont find it cartoonish even.)

Considering they are in the shadowed recesses of the mouth the pure white draws your eye right there...and I think that is the point. You are looking at a Wyrm that is about to eat you and you better be focused on those teeth! I also really like the bluish highlights you choose to use. Very nice.

Now for a quick question as I am new to the Reaper line and mini painting in general (yes, yes - I was dragged in by the kickstarter). I have been reading every thread and blog post regarding Bones and prepping them for painting but I really want to be able to compare the end result of well painted models with there preparation.

So, my question for you is: how did you prepare these two models? Were they straight from the blister to base coat? Washed with soapy water first? Primed? If primed, with what?

Wash 'em anyways, just to be sure. Most times it shouldn't matter, same as their metals, but sometimes a little bit of mold release residue hangs around.

If you paint straight on the bones, the only issue is that if your paint is too thin it won't stick. So it'll probably have to be close to "straight from the bottle" to really work.

Thus far it seems brush-on primer works the best.

Thanks all for the compliments :blush:

Peithetairos, the flower was one I picked up going for a walk in forest nearby. The flower cluster was already dried and a had a light tan color, I glued one flower on the base and colored it with a pink wash.

Kevinm, to prepare the models, the only thing I did was to use a knife on the mold lines. I dont remember if I washed the minis or not. I tend to not wash minis, I need to start, since I have had some issues on a few minis in the past. I did not prime either one of the bones, I usually prime black. The first coat on the wyrm was Reaper HD 9653 Deadrose Red straight from the bottle, then I applied thinned layers of purple, blue, pink and so on.

The teeth are actually more of a cream color in person, the camera sure turned them pearly white. With 2 votes for keeping the teeth stark (and one of them being the proud owner of the Cybermonkey no less), I will probably keep the teeth as is...

Great work. I really like the tones of the skin on the worm.

For me, the teeth are a bit too white - especially with the mottled skin. Not a big deal - just my opinion.

Kevinm, to prepare the models, the only thing I did was to use a knife on the mold lines. I dont remember if I washed the minis or not. I tend to not wash minis, I need to start, since I have had some issues on a few minis in the past. I did not prime either one of the bones, I usually prime black. The first coat on the wyrm was Reaper HD 9653 Deadrose Red straight from the bottle, then I applied thinned layers of purple, blue, pink and so on.

The teeth are actually more of a cream color in person, the camera sure turned them pearly white. With 2 votes for keeping the teeth stark (and one of them being the proud owner of the Cybermonkey no less), I will probably keep the teeth as is...

Awesome! Thank you for the info, that is exactly what I was wanting to know. I am glad to hear the teeth will be staying! ;)

the teeth in the WORM are too white to be a burrower

Why? There are some toothpastes that use calcium carbonate (basically a rock/dirt) as an abrasive. I could totally see all of that dirt and rock chewing leading to very pearly whites!

The skin on that worm is the best I've ever seen. So realistic it's kinda un-nerving!

I'm definitely going to be picking up that Deadrose Red next trip to the FLGS.