Bones and Green and Glues

I've seen a few threads about conversions of the Bones on here and the thought crossed my mind.

"How well does the green stuff and various other modeling compounds work with the Bones material?"

The Bones material has some nice qualities but I hope that doesn't present issues when we sculpt over the figure.

I have the Bones Great Worm which I found at a local shop for a nice price. And I glued it to a base (2" tile from an architect's samples box I have) and the super glue worked fine.

But are there other glues or epoxies we should avoid?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A follow up as to how the conversions have held up from handling afterwards would be cool.

And thank you for the video links. They are inspiring. With the horde of minis that will be invading my basement workshop I will need all the inspiration I can get.

• Like 1

I've had no problems getting Milliput or Green stuff to stick to vinyls. My only concern would be the degree of flexibility in bones, if a miniature was dropped, say, the different degrees of flexion might cause fractures around the join between the two materials.

My only suggestion is solid pinning of any joints, so that area can't flex, because there's a rigid core preventing it from doing so.

Superglue is the glue of choice for PVC Vinyl figs like Bones, heroclix, etc.

Don't bother with plastic solvents as they won't work. Maybe there's an exception out there but I haven't found it.

Pinning is never a bad idea, but I've converted a number of PVC figs and never bothered. As long as the parts mate up well, superglue on PVC is darn near bombproof.

As long as you store them properly and treat them with the same respect you give metal or plastic figs, durability shouldn't be an issue. If you're just dumping them in a box like a batch of D&D prepaints, then it's time to reevaluate your miniature storage system.

• Like 2

Don't bother with plastic solvents as they won't work. Maybe there's an exception out there but I haven't found it.

I use mostly super glue but sometimes with an accelerant to help fill gaps.

Pinning is never a bad idea, but I've converted a number of PVC figs and never bothered. As long as the parts mate up well, superglue on PVC is darn near bombproof.

I pin most everything.

As long as you store them properly and treat them with the same respect you give metal or plastic figs, durability shouldn't be an issue. If you're just dumping them in a box like a batch of D&D prepaints, then it's time to reevaluate your miniature storage system.

I store them quite well thank you. It's the goofballs at the table dropping them that concerned me or just wear-n-tear from handling. Since the plastic for Bones is flexible I was interested in how the green stuff (or other compounds) handles when the plastic it's attached to moves.

Is his base a modded lego plate? Brilliant for interlocking them. :)

That is brilliant for being able to change out terrain, etc., but damned cost prohibitive. Some of those blocks cost as much as the mini. LOL