What are Bones miniatures made of?

Howdy Reapers -

I was lucky enough to be a backer for the Bones Kickstarter (vamp level) and while I wait to receive them, I had some questions...

In my eagerness, I stopped by my FLGS and picked up a pack (77005: Ogre Chieftain). When I opened up the package I noticed that they seem to be made of a more "bendy" type of plastic - like those from a boardgame, not hard like GW plastics.

Are the Kickstarter Bones minis going to be like this or will they be a harder firmer plastic?

Will they be multipart or single castings? If so, what type of glue is required for them?

Also, do they require any sort of primer or special paints to adhere to them?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Blue Kabuto

www.bluekabuto.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Minis are a softer plastic. The thicker pieces are stiffer.

Super glue and two part epoxies work great for assembly.

The vast majority will be single piece although they have said some of the bugger pieces might be multi piece...like the dragons with wings.

You don't need a primer for bones if you are using reaper paints and use a thicker base coat. If you do prime any of the primers you would use on a metal figure should be fine.

Edited by Qwyksilver

1. In my eagerness, I stopped by my FLGS and picked up a pack (77005: Ogre Chieftain). When I opened up the package I noticed that they seem to be made of a more "bendy" type of plastic - like those from a boardgame, not hard like GW plastics.

Are the Kickstarter Bones minis going to be like this or will they be a harder firmer plastic?

Yes the Bones in the Kickstarter will be the same as the bones available today. The bendiness takes some getting used to, but it has its advantages: namely, they take a lot more abuse on the table and you can move parts to the side to reach hard to get to spots. Also, they are made with a type of plastic similar to the binder in the paint, so acrylic paint sticks really well to them.

2. Will they be multipart or single castings? If so, what type of glue is required for them?

Some of each, though most will be glued at the factory. Use Cyanoacrylate (super glue) it works really well.

3. Also, do they require any sort of primer or special paints to adhere to them?

No primer, but undiluted Reaper Master Series work best on them for a base coat.

Also worth mentioning is that any mould lines should be removed with a craft knife, the bendy plastic is file resistant.

I've painted mine with Games Workshop paints (many of which are 10 to 20 years old), so whatever paint you've been using on your minatures should be fine. Just don't thin the paint for the base coat. Once the base coat is on there, you can thin your paints as much as you like.

Eric

Hey Folks -

Thanks for all the great replies! Now I know what to expect. I am thinking about picking up some of the other Bones releases online here. Any recommendations? I'll probably snag the minotaur and the bugbear, the skeletons look a little weak, but they're bendy so I wouldn't have to worry about them snapping...

I really wish Reaper had done some Oriental minis for the Bones line :( Like either Samurai/Ninja or at least the Ogre Mage!

Now to grab some paints from the pledge manager!

Brian

Blue Kabuto

www.bluekabuto.com

I just finished paintng the last of my rats and with them all the current releases. The skeletons, zombies and orcs have an old style to them that you'll either like or hate. The Minotaur and the Worm are probably the most interesting sculpts to paint. The bugbear is excellent as well.

Hey Folks -

Thanks for all the great replies! Now I know what to expect. I am thinking about picking up some of the other Bones releases online here. Any recommendations? I'll probably snag the minotaur and the bugbear, the skeletons look a little weak, but they're bendy so I wouldn't have to worry about them snapping...

I really wish Reaper had done some Oriental minis for the Bones line :( Like either Samurai/Ninja or at least the Ogre Mage!

Now to grab some paints from the pledge manager!

Brian

Blue Kabuto

www.bluekabuto.com

I was highly impressed with the troll; the details carried over from the metal amazingly well, right down to the bulging veins. The Gnoll to my knowledge didn't hit the DHL line, but I think it was in P65; aside from the weight of the two [one I couldn't care about being brained with; the other would hurt!], you can't tell the difference.

The skeletons and orcs are quite old sculpts IIRC. I am hoping to use the orcs as lesser/lackey orcs to the new Warlord style Black Orcs.

Not quite as old as the Arachnos, if I've got my timeline right...but yeah, they both go back to the early 2000s [sKU, not year]. Looks like I'm not the only one that's had the bright idea to do that with new vs old orcs...

• Forum Mascot

I was highly impressed with the troll; the details carried over from the metal amazingly well, right down to the bulging veins. The Gnoll to my knowledge didn't hit the DHL line, but I think it was in P65; aside from the weight of the two [one I couldn't care about being brained with; the other would hurt!], you can't tell the difference.

The Gnoll is a Warlord metal, actually:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/gnoll/sku-down/14580

• Like 2