02955: Krokuta, Gnoll Cleric

airviper

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you've done. Good choice of colors that really make sense to my eyes. I like the fur color and feel like your painting captures the ferocity of what I expect from gnolls. My only suggestion would be to not be afraid to really emphasize darkening areas that receive less light, than areas that do receive more light. It took me a lot of work to get comfortable with doing so, but the contrast you can create between well lit, and shadier areas can really dramatize the figure and make it pop!

As an aside, what the heck kind of material is that shield supposed to be? Bubbles? Maybe bumpy dragon hide?

How did you do that eye, it's crazy good.

Metals look good, you're on the right track. Keep playing with the washes and leave the darkest of the wash alone in the recesses. Another highlight pass with some silver added to whichever metallic and it'll be just about right for the technique.

Nice, Airviper. I remember when you posted the player character minis you'd done, and the gnoll has a lot more pop to it. Adrift is right that it takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with your levels of shade and highlight (and I'm stil a bit cowardly about it), but I think he's got it nailed. Such color!