LTP Barrow Rat 8901

JackMann

Since I finished up the Man-at-Arms, it was time to turn my attention to the other mini in the set: the Barrow Rat. I tried some of the advice I received on the board, and I think it turned out a lot better this time.

rattop.jpg

Here's a top view. Not a lot of detail on display here, but you can see how I glued it to a bottlecap for handling (rub-off of the primer was a major issue on the last mini). You can also see that the base is primed, but not painted. I'll be painting it eventually, but I just wanted to paint the mini this time.

ratleft.jpg

Here's a side-view. You can see the fur texture pretty well. I think it came out pretty well. The fur is a bit "dirtier" than I intended. I need to thin out my washes a little more next time. I like how the pustules worked out.

ratright.jpg

Other side. A little blurrier, but a closer view. More pustules on this side.

rattqright.jpg

A nice three-quarters view. I couldn't get a good head-on picture, but I think this shows the mouth off reasonably well. The white for the claws is a bit "leaked" on the ground around them, but that can be fixed if and when I paint the base.

Overall, better than the Man-at-Arms. Not perfect, but I feel like I'm making progress.

• Like 1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for sharing. I feel as though I am at a similar level of quality with my painting. Please keep us updated as you progress as that will help others like me.

This one looks good. Maybe hit the flesh tones with another light layer, but in this case it kind of adds to the flavor of the mini.

Finally got a decent camera, so I'm posting a couple of new shots of the rat. Haven't done anything new (though the base is probably going to be my next project), but here's a better look at the little guy.

ratfront.jpg

I'm actually kind of proud of how the pustule on his upper jaw came out.

ratright-1.jpg

I'll probably go with a brown-gray for the stones, and maybe green for the rest of the broccoli-base. Alternately, I may paint the stones as silver pieces, and make it the rat's nest.

Okay, rat is based.

basedratright.jpg

Here you can see my early, clumsy attempts at lining. They do't look quite as bad at arm's length, but I definitely need finer brush control when I'm trying this.

basedratleft.jpg

A few of the rounder stones I painted silver, with the idea that they'd represent shiny silver pieces the rat had dragged to its lair. I think the idea has merit, but it would have worked better if I'd been a little less picky with which stones I painted silver. A little lining could have rounded out a few of the other stones, and with more "silver pieces," the effect might have been noticeable.