Caesar Plastic Fantasy Figures

papercut

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like a complete chump, but since I've never bought minis before, or even painted a mini, I actually broke out my copy of Castle Ravenloft the board game and painted the entire set over the weekend with my girlfriend and our friend. Many of them were surprisingly high quality figures (except the player minis, those were just too small and dainty). If you're looking for some cheap starter minis in plastic, I recommend buying Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon or Castle Ravenloft. You get like 40-42 figures (depending on the game) for 40-50 dollars, plus they include a ton of different game scenarios for some fun, simple gameplay.

If you'd like, I could post a few of the pics all painted up, so you can see what they look like ^_^

• Like 1

Forgive the Thread Necromancy, but in case anyone is still wondering:

I have tried the Caesar fantasy miniatures, and I'm something of a fan of them.

Pros:   They're VERY inexpensive... probably one of the best miniatures bargains out there.  They're nice, detailed sculpts, considering the scale - I'm surprised at the amount of detail that they were able to sculpt into these miniatures.  YMMV, but I'm rather fond of the cheesy 1980's fantasy style they've been sculpted in - they look like they stepped out of an old 1980s fantasy fiction or RPG book cover, which is probably either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your tolerance for that sort of kitsch (it amuses me!)  They're a great, easy, cheap way to get a lot of minis at the same time.  In addition to the fantasy 1/72 miniatures, you can easily re-purpose any of the vast variety of inexpensive non-fantasy 1/72 human and accessory war-gaming miniatures from more or less any era (especially medieval, dark ages, renaissance, classical, and ancient) as fantasy monsters, NPCs, and PCs, and they'll fit in just fine alongside the Caesar miniatures.

Cons:  These miniatures are noticeably smaller than modern fantasy miniatures, at 1/72.  They might fit in great with old-fashioned metal minis from the 1970s and 1980s, which tended to be sculpted in something close to 1/72 scale before "scale creep" kicked in with modern minis.  The cheesy 1980s sculpting style might turn gamers off of them, if they're sensitive to 1980s fantasy aesthetics.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a great variety of explicitly fantasy miniatures available in explicitly 1/72 scale:  currently there's only Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Orcs, Goblins, Undead, Rat-men, and Lizard-Men, and giant Trolls; you can probably "fudge" it a bit by using 28mm monsters in many cases, but 28mm humanoids are going to stick out like a sore thumb next to most of the 1/72 Caesar minis.

Size comparison:

dwarfcivilians_IMG_1149_zpsda5c76fd.jpg

Dwarves:  28mm humanoids like the Reaper dwarf, right, look like giants compared to their 1/72 scale counterparts.

skellies_IMG_1141_zps7ef3fb01.jpg

Two Caesar 1/72 skeletons standing among a variety of 28mm Reaper minis; human-sized 1/72 minis are abou the size of Gnomes, Halflings, or Dwarves, so the Caesar minis converted nicely into undead Dwarves.  Humanoid 1/72 minis might otherwise work as small creatures:  Goblins as Mites, Elves and  Humans as Halflings or Faeries, etc.

troll_IMG_1087_zps9a189b53.jpg

Caesar's 1/72 Trolls, alone among the Caesar fantasy miniatures, are an excellent match in size for their 28mm counterparts, as can be seen with these two Caesar Trolls compared to a WotC troll.

So:

These minis are fantastic if you are on an extremely limited budget and don't care too much about scale.

They might also work fine if you are picky about the scale, and don't mind some conversion and/or repurposing work - for example, there aren't too many Mite or Faerie miniatures out there, but creative hobbiests could easily turn a box full of Caesar goblins into 28mm scale Mites, and adding some transparent celophane butterfly wings to a box full of Elf and/or human Adventures could easily result in an army of convincing 28mm scale Faeries.

Hobbiests with a collection of old-fashioned 1980's-era miniatures that are noticeably smaller than modern 28mm miniatures migh be delighted to find modern minis manufactured in this scale.

But, these minis are liable to drive scale purists crazy, and the sculpts are nice, but they're definitely not Reaper Bones.

• Like 5

I've got a bunch of them.

http://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/search/label/1%2F72%20scale%20plastic

They are nice little figures, but they form a project separate from my Bones/large modern fantasy figures...and separate yet again from my Heritage/Ral Partha vintage fantasy figures. As mentioned above, there are lots of other 1/72 scale figures out there, and they can provide a variety of more exotic humans. There are also the Dark Alliance/Red Box fantasy figures, which probably don't blend into units well with Caesar, but can form their own units and/or races.

Anything that fights scale creep is great in my book. Since 5E goblins look all roided up, I'm going to see how some of the Alliance Orcs (set 2) work for goblins. Also grabbing some Alliance wargs to see if they work well with the scrunched up Moria orcs from the old LOTR intro box.

Edited by scorpio616