Sign in to follow this  
"That Guy"

Bombshell Miniatures Kickstarter

Yep. It means painting metallic items like swords and armor purely with pigmented color rather than metallic paints, in such a way that they look like a painting of swords or armor. Martin has done a bang-up job here.

Confused the heck out of me when I returned to the hobby last fall after a twenty year absence.

Thanks very much! And glad to know that I'm not the only one who got a bit confused by that idea after a break from the hobby (although 'just' 10-15 years for me). :)
  • Like 1

The first time I ever saw the NMM technique was for Blood Angels Captain Tycho wearing gold armor in White Dwarf magazine. That must have been around '92 or '93.

• Like 1

Just got my Babes. Have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the base inserts as usually they're too thick\tall for the bases but these are perfect.

• Like 1

I have received mine. They are very nice. But I found myself looking at the base inserts and wondering ... how do they work?

They don't have slots. Okay. So how are they handled? Is the a nice thread somewhere about this sort of thing?

Reminders that in numerous dimensions I am still a newbie, and a big part of that is basing.

• Like 1

You'll need a lipped base of the right size, remove any tab from the foot of the figure and use a superglue to attach her to the insert. If you've got a drill I'd recommend gluing the insert to the plastic base first then pin the figure with the pins going through the insert and into the base.

This can be done either before or after painting as long as you're not ham-fisted, but if after you may need to do a little touch up on the feet. Before is an easier approach.

Edited by Nocturne

I saw a demo that showed a really awesome technique. Clip the tab off the miniature, but leave the bit stuck to the feet. Instant pin without having to actually drill a hole in the foot and glue it on! Then, put a dab of paint on the "pins" and touch it to where you want it to be on the base. Drill holes in the base with a pin vise or similar tool. Attach to base. Done.

Edited by ahayford
  • Like 2

You'll need a lipped base of the right size, remove any tab from the foot of the figure and use a superglue to attach her to the insert. If you've got a drill I'd recommend gluing the insert to the plastic base first then pin the figure with the pins going through the insert and into the base.

This can be done either before or after painting as long as you're not ham-fisted, but if after you may need to do a little touch up on the feet. Before is an easier approach.

I suggest roughing up the bottom of the insert as well as part of the base where they touch so there's more surface area for the glue to latch on to. I tend to do this with a cross stitching pattern with my knife. You don't have to go deep, just enough that you can see the lines.

I got mine! They're lovely Very well cast. The base inserts are nice. Those sidekicks really are adorable. I like the way the atomic punk's head can be positioned at different angles- it makes me wish I'd gotten an extra to play with! Thanks, Patrick!!!! Great work!!!!

I saw a demo that showed a really awesome technique. Clip the tab off the miniature, but leave the bit stuck to the feet. Instant pin without having to actually drill a hole in the foot and glue it on! Then, put a dab of paint on the "pins" and touch it to where you want it to be on the base. Drill holes in the base with a pin vise or similar tool. Attach to base. Done.

That's the method I tend to use,It's especially good if the foot (or whatever) is a bit thin/small to get a pin into

This is what I do too. It works quite well.

This is helpful advice thanks, I hadn't really thought about how the base inserts work at all. What sort of thing do you use to clip the tab off the miniature? I really haven't experimented with bases much yet.

This is helpful advice thanks, I hadn't really thought about how the base inserts work at all. What sort of thing do you use to clip the tab off the miniature? I really haven't experimented with bases much yet.

Sprue cutters. Over the years I've accumulated several, but I keep the ones I use on metal seperate from those I use on plastics.

I snip upwards from the bottom of the tab, getting rid of the bulk of it. Then I use an x-acto or hobby knife to trim the remainder into a nice peg, sized to match one of the drill bits I have for my pinvice (hand operated drill).