Bombshell Miniatures Kickstarter

"That Guy"

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fish-shaped submersible is adorable. It reminds me of some of the weirder submarines in Phil and Kaja Foglio's card game "The Works."

The minis in the Bombshell Kickstarter campaign look pretty nice. How many different figures are there?

This wrench girl is not the mini from the BONES kickstarter, this is a completely new sculpt from a new company.

The wrench girl is the primary reason I haven't bit on the Bombshell kickstarter yet. Between Reaper's Rosie the Chronotechnician and Privateer Press's Dirty Meg, I'm just not sure if the world needs another steampunk chick with a giant wrench. I know I certainly don't.

The rest of the figures are very nice, but the price is absolutely lousy. I mean $15 for 1 medium-sized human miniature (and a set of postcards, whoop-de-doo!)? That's highway robbery. Only GW charges that much, and GW are bunch of money-grubbing blankity-blanks. Even if you subscribe at the highest level possible -- $150 -- you're still paying $10/miniature, $9.37 if you count the mechanic chick. Plus a t-shirt and post cards (and allow me to repeat myself: Big. Whoopdy. Doo. Postcards? Postcards! WTF?).

I mean seriously, what are these things going to retail for? I'm betting somewhere in the 7.99 to 9.99 range, which is what most companies charge for models of this size and quality. So what exactly am I getting for pledging? The chance to pay more-than-retail and get some spiffy postcards for my round file?

I love Patrick's work, but this Kickstarter just seems like a rip-off to me.

• Like 1

What you get for pledging is the same thing you get for most Kickstarter projects: the satisfaction of knowing you've provided seed money for a project you consider worthwhile.

That's the point of Kickstarter. The premiums are there as an incentive and thank you, but they're not the purpose. On Kickstarter you're not buying prizes, you're funding projects.

Reaper's Kickstarter was not typical, and they were extraordinarily generous with their premiums. You shouldn't use them as a yardstick for value.

Kickstarters are only partly about value for your money. Mostly they're about helping fund cool projects which otherwise may have a hard time getting seed money.

• Like 5

I noticed on a major auction site there are several vehicles with that design aesthetic. Strangely, one of the best seems to only have a person facing backwards as a rear gunner but no forward facing pilot seat. Strange.

Right. I've found that a bit strange; I'm guessing that the front part of the craft has an enclosed part for the pilot, or something like that. I was thinking that if the gunners are removed, it could be converted to put a forward-facing seat instead. A bit of a fixer-upper, but I still like something about the general style.

$10-15 for a multi piece human from a smaller boutique line is pretty decent actually. Around the same price I've paid for Freebooter for example. Reaper spoils us because they provide quality AND volume AND in home casting so their expenses are less.

I'm unfortunately having to wait and see because I don't know what kind of money I have left after needing a new car and getting in on Sedition wars. Reaper. And Red box. Patrick hopefully I'll be able to kick in something. I love your pilot with the gremlin. I want a small horde of just him. :devil:

I'm with Mike on this one and if you need some evidence to support it just take a look at CMoN's limited edition line. Yes, they have some miniatures that are only $4.99 but those are also miniatures that were created like 10 years ago. The more current miniatures are running $9.99 - $14.99 right were the Bombshell Babes will be falling I suspect. Or take a look at the McVey's own limited edition resin miniatures which go from $9.99 and up to and in excess of $19.99. So from a boutique standpoint, which is exactly what I believe these are, they are right inline with their competition. Now in comparison to Reaper, yea, they are expensive but far from a rip-off.

So at the $150 level I get my choice of 15 minis, plus the Maylee with sidekick, and if I want I can substitute the Tshirt for a couple more minis which works out to $8.33 per mini. In addition to this we are also getting resin base inserts, an additional mini from Patrick's earlier sculpting days, and the postcards which are actually desired by those who enjoy the concept art as much as the mini's themselves.

I dunno. When you factor in that this kick starter is still in early days, and that Patrick himself has said that they are still working on extras for down the road to add to the pledge value, this seems like a pretty good deal to me compared to what a lot of the other companies I buy from charge for metal, or even resin, minis.

• Like 3

• Artists

I have to agree, I'm not sure Gailbraithe has been keeping up with the boutique miniature pricing. The prices for minis that have runs of 50-300 or whatever pieces has always been higher than for mass market figures. A boutique company doesn't have the economies of scale that a company like Reaper has. The prices for both have been going up and up as tin prices rise. Many choose resin, which was always more expensive. I'm not saying I like it, the amount of miniatures I get for my money has absolutely gone down. But I don't think the companies are doing it to screw me over or that they're running off to the bank with mad stacks of cash.

After a couple of years hemming and hawing over the $25 price tag on Death Knight figures, I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple I just couldn't resist. That's the high end, but $10-20 isn't at all unusual anymore. As Heisler says, go browse through the CMON store. Anima Tactics figures are $10-15. Freebooter are $13 and up (slightly less for some two packs). Those are both game, not just display figures, too. Studio McVeys game figures are around $10, the collectibles are $20.

What you get for pledging is the same thing you get for most Kickstarter projects: the satisfaction of knowing you've provided seed money for a project you consider worthwhile.

That's the point of Kickstarter. The premiums are there as an incentive and thank you, but they're not the purpose. On Kickstarter you're not buying prizes, you're funding projects.

Yeah. I guess I just think Kickstarter is kind of stupid. I think I prefer the old-fashioned model where a producer takes a risk and an investor gets a return on their investment. Knowing that the project is already funded, I'll just wait until the models are actually in production and buy them then, and take the risk that they'll be more expensive rather than less.

After a couple of years hemming and hawing over the $25 price tag on Death Knight figures, I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple I just couldn't resist. That's the high end, but $10-20 isn't at all unusual anymore. As Heisler says, go browse through the CMON store. Anima Tactics figures are $10-15. Freebooter are $13 and up (slightly less for some two packs). Those are both game, not just display figures, too. Studio McVeys game figures are around $10, the collectibles are $20.

I'm familiar with the CMON store, I buy stuff there occasionally. My point is that $15 for one of the miniatures being proposed isn't really a deal, since $15 is kind of the top end of prices for miniatures of this size and quality level. $8 to $15 is pretty much the norm. Right now there is only one miniature ("The Girl") in the proposed bunch I want, so I'd be paying $15 for her.

And like I said, I'm going to bet that she doesn't go up in price when she goes on the market.

Plus I think it's ironic no one has mentioned that we're factoring in shipping on all this stuff too.

I invite you to take a look at what a medium priority box goes for the days.

http://www.usps.com

After subtracting that and the price of $25 for Maelee as an exclusive, which won't be available retail, the price per model seems almost reasonable.

Yeah. I guess I just think Kickstarter is kind of stupid. I think I prefer the old-fashioned model where a producer takes a risk and an investor gets a return on their investment. Knowing that the project is already funded, I'll just wait until the models are actually in production and buy them then, and take the risk that they'll be more expensive rather than less.

There are a lot of companies doing kickstarters that don't need to but small start ups like this one would have a very hard time raising the capitol needed to even get off the ground and could take years to work up the money to get a line of more then a few miniatures.

But kickstarter's aren't for everyone, which despite what some may say on this forum is OK, as there's always a risk you won't get what you paid for as well as a very long wait for most things so if you're not liking the model for getting money waiting isn't a bad idea.

• Like 1

yeah, I started off running the same numbers as Gailbraithe (look a few pages back in this thread), and it's definitely not where the Bones minis-per-dollar was, but these are metal minis. Boutique minis. And we've got more value on the way.

Patrick makes great sculpts. Talin draws pretty pictures. Minis, postcards, all good things. If you can give money to help this off the ground, donate for the cause. But if you're just looking for a place to buy minis at a discount, there are a lot of places online to do that--kickstarter isn't one.

Edit: wow. bunch of posts between me starting this post and actually posting it. whoops.

The rest of the figures are very nice, but the price is absolutely lousy. I mean $15 for 1 medium-sized human miniature (and a set of postcards, whoop-de-doo!)? That's highway robbery. Only GW charges that much, and GW are bunch of money-grubbing blankity-blanks. Even if you subscribe at the highest level possible -- $150 -- you're still paying $10/miniature, $9.37 if you count the mechanic chick. Plus a t-shirt and post cards (and allow me to repeat myself: Big. Whoopdy. Doo. Postcards? Postcards! WTF?).

Well, you've left off the cost of the "free" shipping which is included. And obviously the art cards are not your thing but they are big in the pin-up and fantasy art circles. Some sets have become quite collectible. So don't brush off the value of them just because it's not your interest.