KS Update #63 Question

vogless

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The kickstart was in part to start moving bone making to texas. They said up front that it would take a good chunk of time to make this move and because of that all the minis to fill the kickstart orders would still be made in china. Future production will be gradually moving to texas though.

To each their own, but I didn't pledge until I heard the halfway msg saying that bones production would be brought back to the US. That promise by Reaper was enough to get me to break my practice of not buying things made in China. I must say that when I brought my original set of Bones (some kobolds, the ogre, troll and some skeletons) a few months ago and saw that they were made in China I was, for the first time considering returning a Reaper product. It was a sad day :down:

• Like 1

The kickstart was in part to start moving bone making to texas. They said up front that it would take a good chunk of time to make this move and because of that all the minis to fill the kickstart orders would still be made in china. Future production will be gradually moving to texas though.

Correct. It is not an instantaneous process. We were very up front about the fact that the KS minis would be made in China, but the proceeds would be used to purchase the equipment and bring production to the US. We do not have a date for when US production will be a reality, but it is progressing

Like vogless and dwarvenranger my entire decision to participate on the Kickstarter hinged upon Reaper's pledge to bring the manufacturing to the US. However, they were very upfront and DID make it clear that the reward product would be coming from China. (Both in private correspondences as well as in the mid-drive video.)

i dont care were the bones are made, if they retain reaper quality

Some stuff about capitalism and "just enjoy your cheap TV's", etc.

Personally, I believe that this mentality is a poor one. Just like with our political system each of us has the option to "vote" with our dollars. I can count on one hand the number of things I buy from China in any given year.

It is up to each of us to take responsibility for how we spend our money and responsible with what we choose to buy. I can accept that, to some people, it doesnt matter how or where or at what (non-financial) costs a product was made at but rather its bottom line to them is what is important. I dont agree with this but I accept that people feel this way.

For me, it was enough to know that my money would be going to help bring/keep jobs in the US, keep the majority any future money I spend on these products within the US economy, and ensure that the products are being manufactured under the reasonable environmental oversights that exist within the US.

I, for one, will gladly pay more for a "Made in the USA" product rather than purchase an equivalent product produced overseas - even if that means the cost of individual Bones models increases 50-75%.

• Like 2

I have no problems with improving the standard of living of those in China. This increased standard of living has taken *decades*, with a middle class only developing in recent years. Many children from wealthier families have been sent to foreign countries, including the United States, for their education. A "brain drain" by those seeking better opportunities in foreign countries has developed as well. I think this export of talent will improve countries like ours.

At least until I get my mini's. :P Moving production from one *country* to another is non-trivial. If reaper were to move their production from China to the US before sending out the KS Bones and something happened, That Would Be Bad!

EDIT: Hmm. Here's a video of how plastic mold injecting works. Sounds more feasible to move production to the US! :

EDIT: Hmm. Here's a video of how plastic mold injecting works. Sounds more feasible to move production to the US! : [media]

This is for polystyrene, not polyvinyl. I think PVC requires a higher pressure, though I couldn't say if this could handle PVC also.

Halber