How many of you would like to assemble your own bones ?

rright0102

219 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to assemble your Bones yourself?

• I would prefer to assemble my Bones myself.
    • I like Bacon.
    • I don't have an opinion on this topic but like to push buttons.
    • My dog buried my Bones.
    • I would prefer to purchase my Bones preassembled.
    • Reaper Bryan deserves more Hot Wings.
    • I would prefer to only assemble larger Bones Models myself.

The bugbear has a separate head ? Odd, the metal model is one piece with a separate shield.

I would guess that many of the figures are broken up differently than the metal ones. While the PVC offers much more flexibility in mold design, it isn't nearly as flexible as the rubber molds used to cast the metal figures. As a result, things will be somewhat different from metal to plastic in order to make up for the limitations of the material.

Regarding assembled or parts - I would prefer well assembled versus parts for these. While I have no problem putting together figures or using various adhesives - I know one person who bought in big on this campaign in order to get figures for their kids to paint. The ability to buy a readily assembled figure (or a few hundred of them) and just hand them over to younger kids to paint with more or less safe water based paints is a big draw.

Later on - it would be nice to see a Bones Masterclass or something like that where figures are in bits and have a few different options to kit them out with. For this stage of the game though, the preassembled is really a great selling point to many people (though the occasional misassembled figure is a bit of an annoyance).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iti s worth noting that shipping unassembled would require a lot more packaging unless you want a vampire level to have a jigsaw puzzle aspect as well. Sounded to me like they were planning to put the whole lot in one bag when they shipped.

My god, it's like the ultimate army man pack. I'll be giggling like a schoolchild when that box comes. And more than likely lying on the kitchen floor making them fight each other.

pew-pew! rrawwrrr! pew-pew-pew!

"We can't hold back that ape, sarge, arrrgghh!"

Ah, maturity.

• Like 5

My apologies. I didn't mean to alarm people who were banking on pre-assembled minis.

Everything I've seen indicates that Reaper does plan to pre-assemble them. I only responded because the question was brought up.

I'm afraid I was being fussy. I like to assemble my minis, but not so much as to cause trouble for these guys.

No worries; I'm aware that guys like you are the ones who've been Reaper's main customers, and what you want is important. If Johnny-come-latelys like me give Reaper enough money, maybe they can afford some kind of compromise eventually. At the very least, it'll help them keep making the metal minis that can be assembled.

Has anyone tried Un-Cure on Bones? It does seem pretty clear that it's CA holding them together. I also noticed with my Bones Dwarf that the arm glued in was very heavily "keyed". There would not be any way to repose it like a ball and socket joint on a metal mini. We're talking > 1/4" peg with a notch and tab to set the alignment. The sort of thing you'd do for a factory worker that has to do assembly. Ultimately reposing may be easiest by cutting, pinning, and gap filling for those of us inclined to do so.

Has anyone tried Un-Cure on Bones? It does seem pretty clear that it's CA holding them together. I also noticed with my Bones Dwarf that the arm glued in was very heavily "keyed". There would not be any way to repose it like a ball and socket joint on a metal mini. We're talking > 1/4" peg with a notch and tab to set the alignment. The sort of thing you'd do for a factory worker that has to do assembly. Ultimately reposing may be easiest by cutting, pinning, and gap filling for those of us inclined to do so.

I would be careful with that. DMF, which is the common "Un-Cure" component is also a very strong PVC solvent (like melt it completely strong). A little bit could very well make your figure look like it had been attacked with acid. If they are using a CA glue to connect the parts in the factory as opposed to a solvent cement, there are a lot of ways which you should be able to separate the parts. If they are using a solvent cement though - it will need to be cut. Still waiting on the local store to get a restock right now, but I plan on buying a dozen or so just to poke at chemically.

Thanks Bob. I'm 99% sure it isn't a solvent cement from the factory. There's a crystal clear glossy squeeze out that can be chipped away. Thanks for the tip on DMF. I had read that acetone is the normal cleanup after applying the debond, and I know that dissolves PVC. Though I just googled a bit and apparently a 4:1 water:acetone solution was found to not soften PVC even after submersion for a week. I'll be very interested to read your chemical tests. Don't forget to buy one for painting up! :)

Hmm. I'd prefer to assembly my own mini's only because I've seen badly assembled pre-assembled mini's, and I have pre-assembled mini's that have areas that are difficult to paint. Conversely, I've also seen the Dungeon Explore unassembled mini's. HOO BOY. One of the reviewers said he wasn't sure how to assemble some of the mini's!

I've also done some searching on Bones reviews, and *none* of the reviewers complained about pre-assembly. So, I guess there's a right way to do this, and a wrong way.

Registered to vote.

My position on this is basicle exactly as jlblack:

If they didn't come assembled, I would never have bought them. I supported the Kickstarter precisely because I have very little - actually, make that no - interest in assembling or painting minis. If they decide to send them unassembled, I won't complain, but I'll chalk it up as a bad purchase and never buy more. Sorry to sound so absolute, but I was drawn to this KS exactly for the convenience. I can dig others wanting something else, but I'd be really disappointed in unassembled minis. I don't know what the target audience for Bones was, but they're the first minis in 30+ years of gaming that appealed to me.

Ok, i'm pondering to try to paint some, but i think it is not worth it (i think my painting skills would be not good, and getting colors and tools and all the stuff actually doing it would perhaps more then double the price)

My apologies. I didn't mean to alarm people who were banking on pre-assembled minis.

Everything I've seen indicates that Reaper does plan to pre-assemble them. I only responded because the question was brought up.

I'm afraid I was being fussy. I like to assemble my minis, but not so much as to cause trouble for these guys.

No worries; I'm aware that guys like you are the ones who've been Reaper's main customers, and what you want is important. If Johnny-come-latelys like me give Reaper enough money, maybe they can afford some kind of compromise eventually. At the very least, it'll help them keep making the metal minis that can be assembled.

Well said, and thanks. But out of conscience I feel I have to clarify a couple of points:

1. I'm as new as you here, and also quite a new Reaper customer. I've been tabletop roleplaying for 30+ years, but haven't used minis for 20ish years. So really I shouldn't have been pushy about preferences anyway. It's not friendly to the long term loyal fans.

2. I'm not a guy, although that's an understandable confusion. And I kind of started that by referring to the Reaper folks as "guys."

Ok, i'm pondering to try to paint some, but i think it is not worth it (i think my painting skills would be not good, and getting colors and tools and all the stuff actually doing it would perhaps more then double the price)

Just something to consider: It would still probably cost less than if you bought all those figures retail. And you certainly have enough minis to practice on that you will probably see a significant improvement by the time you finish your KS minis.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 1

2. I'm not a guy, although that's an understandable confusion. And I kind of started that by referring to the Reaper folks as "guys."

Sorry about that; I was really just using "guys" as a generic term for people in general. I should have said "folks" or "people."