How many of you would like to assemble your own bones ?

rright0102

219 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to assemble your Bones yourself?

• I would prefer to assemble my Bones myself.
    • I like Bacon.
    • I don't have an opinion on this topic but like to push buttons.
    • My dog buried my Bones.
    • I would prefer to purchase my Bones preassembled.
    • Reaper Bryan deserves more Hot Wings.
    • I would prefer to only assemble larger Bones Models myself.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so in i dont care one way or another. i highly doubt reaper will change their plans now. bones line is a pre-assembled line so you are going to probably most likely going to have to deal with it. so i like to say "persons" or "things"(in case of buglips)

/waits for Buglips to come in and comment that he is not people, but a goblin.

It's true. I'm neither a folk nor a people. But you beat me to it.

A lot of that goin around lately.

Anyways, way I see it the correct collective term for us here is Reaperino. Everybody's a Reaperino!

Ok, i'm pondering to try to paint some, but i think it is not worth it (i think my painting skills would be not good, and getting colors and tools and all the stuff actually doing it would perhaps more then double the price)

Just something to consider: It would still probably cost less than if you bought all those figures retail. And you certainly have enough minis to practice on that you will probably see a significant improvement by the time you finish your KS minis.

only because it would still be under retail value (and I'm aware of that) doesn't meen that i want to pay that ;) [and last time i checked my FLGS don't have Bones/MSP which makes it something harder to test, because I'm not sure if other paints works equally well. And even than I have totally no clue how much paints is needed for 200+ figures - how many paint sets are needed for that? (And other equipment like brushes and what else is needed)]

100$ for that many figs i can use for RPG is such a good deal I couldn't pass - investing double the amount is much painfuller

Ok, i'm pondering to try to paint some, but i think it is not worth it (i think my painting skills would be not good, and getting colors and tools and all the stuff actually doing it would perhaps more then double the price)

Just something to consider: It would still probably cost less than if you bought all those figures retail. And you certainly have enough minis to practice on that you will probably see a significant improvement by the time you finish your KS minis.

only because it would still be under retail value (and I'm aware of that) doesn't meen that i want to pay that ;) [and last time i checked my FLGS don't have Bones/MSP which makes it something harder to test, because I'm not sure if other paints works equally well. And even than I have totally no clue how much paints is needed for 200+ figures - how many paint sets are needed for that? (And other equipment like brushes and what else is needed)]

100$ for that many figs i can use for RPG is such a good deal I couldn't pass - investing double the amount is much painfuller

A little paint goes a long way. You may not even get through one set of paint, although I'm not too experienced on painting really big figures. You'll need some good brushes, but beyond that, it's water jars and soap and good lighting, mostly, as far as I know.

This is kind of simplified, but honestly, you can paint minis with a fair minimum of supplies.

The paints you can get locally should stick well enough to Bones - granted, that doesn't do much for your Bones problem though. It seems they have been selling out pretty fast from all the retailers in recent weeks. Most the online dealers which I prefer to use are either out of nearly so. Even Miniature Giant which stocks many long discontinued Reaper items is down to Orc Spearmen and Rats.

When someone finds a good way to disassemble poorly glued Bones models, could they put it in a separate thread and the thread be stickied?

I know I would come looking on the forum if I had a poorly assembled Bones model, and I suspect others would do the same. Having the information in an easy to find place will greatly reduce the question being asked over, and over, and over... Admittedly not everyone bothers to look for an existing thread, but it should stem the tide to a more manageable trickle ;)

Eric

Brushes: a set of a half-dozen cheapies for $10 or less and two good quality brushes (ask around here for recommendations) is all you need. The starter set in the KS would be an excellent start, and very cheap. Personally I've only ever totally used up two or three pots of paint.

On topic: I want Bones assembled and not needing primer! If they didn't need any flashing removed either, all the better. I don't have much time for prep, and much prefer painting. When I do get time for prep i want to spend it on oddball metals, not my stock plastics.

Has anyone tried Un-Cure on Bones? It does seem pretty clear that it's CA holding them together. I also noticed with my Bones Dwarf that the arm glued in was very heavily "keyed". There would not be any way to repose it like a ball and socket joint on a metal mini. We're talking > 1/4" peg with a notch and tab to set the alignment. The sort of thing you'd do for a factory worker that has to do assembly. Ultimately reposing may be easiest by cutting, pinning, and gap filling for those of us inclined to do so.

I find cooking in hot water and yanking the parts apart works best for breaking the bond. Boiling CA seems to weaken it, and PVC's melting point is way above that of boiling water. Also as to the keyed joint, just carve it into a round peg and stick it in the square hole.

Halber

I am brand new to Reaper and mini's in general (still trying to get my hands on my first model to try out painting!). However, I would be willing to assemble any of my Kickstarter Bones that are cast in multiple pieces if it means a greater variety to poses and a (marginally) higher quality of assembly.

For me, fully assembled models are not THAT big of a draw. I mean, single piece casts are nice of course for the quick from the package and onto the painting table turnaround. But if some models (smaller ones, clearly the bigger would need some assembly) require multiple parts to be successfully cast, so be it. I am willing to assemble them.

Pre-assembly of models is not a big draw to me. If there's someone on the assembly line gluing werewolf tails on, I would be perfectly happy if that step were skipped so I could see to that detail myself.

I have only picked up one Bones model so far -- 77009 Werewolf -- that showed signs of assembly. In that case, it was the tail, and there was a little bit of excess glue. If I had intended to paint the figure "as-is," I would have had to do some touch-up work on the tail joint, or it would have looked odd once painted -- thus detracting from the "paint it straight out of the box" purported benefit. HOWEVER, in my particular case it wasn't a problem because I was converting the figure, and using putty to give my werewolf some pants and armor. Minor defect covered, problem solved.

If the tail had been left un-glued, I could have taken care of it myself, or perhaps even decided that I wanted a tail-less wolfman (or a different tail) for purposes of conversion.

I've also had other bad experiences with glued pre-assembly in non-Reaper products, so I have low expectations of pre-assembled multi-part figures. I used to be into AT-43 (Therians and Red Blok) before Rackham went belly-up, and I ran into CONSIDERABLE variation in how models were pre-assembled. Some of my Wraith Golgoths would have joints left free so that I could reposition them and swap out optional weapons. On others, it seemed that the assembly person went overboard and glued positively EVERYTHING that could be glued (even that which shouldn't have been), thus fusing everything together (sometimes in an odd position) and precluding my weapon options (unless I elected to do some extreme surgery). Grr. Glue, miniatures and assembly-line HASTE do not always go well together.

It's not that big of a deal for me, but if I had a choice in the matter, I'd go with "skip the glue."

• Like 1

I would prefer not assembled. Purely for painting and quality reasons, something that is badly constructed will put me off buying any more.

So if they come pre-assembled this will the quality of assembly will determine whether I continue to buy "bones" miniatures.

If I'm paying for something I want quality and if I got some Chinese kid half assed gluing stuff together then they'll all be going straight onto a certain auction site.

Sounds a bit harsh, but that's what the pre-painted stuff is for, I thought these were just replacing metal versions.......probably my bad for not researching properly.

• Like 1