How many of you would like to assemble your own bones ?

219 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to assemble your Bones yourself?

• I would prefer to assemble my Bones myself.
    • I like Bacon.
    • I don't have an opinion on this topic but like to push buttons.
    • My dog buried my Bones.
    • I would prefer to purchase my Bones preassembled.
    • Reaper Bryan deserves more Hot Wings.
    • I would prefer to only assemble larger Bones Models myself.

Of the Bones reviews I have read, I haven't heard complaints (or sometimes even mention of!) the figures being pre-assembled. I've had problems with pre-assembled miniatures (eg. poor assembly, difficulty in painting pre-assembled mini's), but un-assembled miniatures have their problems as well (eg. complex figures with no assembly instructions -- see Super Dungeon Crawl).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the complaints are getting absurd, and that maybe a few people could work on being a little less difficult to please.

My god, it's like the ultimate army man pack. I'll be giggling like a schoolchild when that box comes. And more than likely lying on the kitchen floor making them fight each other.   pew-pew! rra

/waits for Buglips to come in and comment that he is not people, but a goblin.

Yeah, Super Dungeon Explore* is a game that'd be a huge shock to a boardgamer that isn't also a miniature modeling enthusiast. 45+ multipart models, with 12+ models with 5+ pieces each (head, body, legs, left arm, right arm, tail)... all loose parts in baggies. (though my copy did have an assembly graphic included; second print run) I prefer to remove mold lines as well, which led to spending several hours getting the models together before the game was playable. Anyway, I think a surprise "unassembled" decision from Reaper would be a real customer satisfaction disaster. Experienced miniature modelers will have no problem reposing or modding models to make what they want of them, but people not expecting assembly would be really turned off by 240 models showing up in pieces. Anyway, Reaper has said definitively that they're preassembled for this KS, just as the current ones are, so the question is generally moot... just interesting to hear people's opinions on the subject.

I would prefer not assembled. Purely for painting and quality reasons, something that is badly constructed will put me off buying any more.

So if they come pre-assembled this will the quality of assembly will determine whether I continue to buy "bones" miniatures.

If I'm paying for something I want quality and if I got some Chinese kid half assed gluing stuff together then they'll all be going straight onto a certain auction site.

Sounds a bit harsh, but that's what the pre-painted stuff is for, I thought these were just replacing metal versions.......probably my bad for not researching properly.

Don't think the ethnicity matters if its a half-assed glue job... but I haven't heard any complaints about assembly of the existing Bones. My interest in the KS was principally for painting and display, and I've been happy with the Bones samples I've gotten so far. There was some glue squeeze out that I wouldn't have gotten from my own assembly, but it was a very thin layer of cured CA that I could chip away with a fingernail or pick, and it was in an armpit. For $1.99, I'm perfectly happy with a little more cleanup when I'm doing mold lines and model prep than would be required if I did my own assembly. I haven't assembled a metal model that didn't have a) harder to remove mold lines, b) required pinning, and c) gap filling (and possibly sanding) so I definitely don't think preassembled Bones are a problem.

One last thought on model prep... this is the first time I've been able to bend an arm completely out of the way to get at the mold line underneath, and just let it spring back into position. Until there's a process that produces no mold lines or flash at all, that was a pretty awesome revelation.

Yeah, Super Dungeon Explore* is a game that'd be a huge shock to a boardgamer that isn't also a miniature modeling enthusiast. 45+ multipart models, with 12+ models with 5+ pieces each (head, body, legs, left arm, right arm, tail)... all loose parts in baggies. (though my copy did have an assembly graphic included; second print run) I prefer to remove mold lines as well, which led to spending several hours getting the models together before the game was playable. Anyway, I think a surprise "unassembled" decision from Reaper would be a real customer satisfaction disaster. Experienced miniature modelers will have no problem reposing or modding models to make what they want of them, but people not expecting assembly would be really turned off by 240 models showing up in pieces. Anyway, Reaper has said definitively that they're preassembled for this KS, just as the current ones are, so the question is generally moot... just interesting to hear people's opinions on the subject.

So are the bones a cross-between pre-painted (although not painted) and general gaming miniatures?

I'll have to wait to judge.

if you are paying for quality maybe you should stick to metal minis

I've got no problem with resin or plastic, but I do think that miniatures non-prepainted should either be molded as one piece or if not left too assemble. 25 years of mini collecting has left me a bit stubborn.

While I would definitely prefer to assemble the Bones myself (and that is what I voted for) I understand the necessity of having them come pre-assembled, especially for those who participated in the KS campaign. I can always hope that they will eventually make Bones with some assembly required in the future hehe.

In the mean time I'll just experiment with modding them myself.

• Like 1

If you aren't picky about mold lines and in a rush you can get everything in Super Dungeon Explore glued in about 2 hours, with a wee bit of sanding. Except the dragon. That guy makes me mad. I will have to blow dry him until he gets into the correct position. Very annoying.

The 2 bones I have from the paint and take are both 1 solid piece. For some reason at around $1.99 a pop I am not expecting these to be mind blowing minis, but the detail and quality Reaper has put into them is fantastic for the price.

Cheaper then prepainted plastics, you can get what you need, no prime, no seal, no assemble. These are FANTASTIC for getting new people into the crack habit that is called miniature painting.

So are the bones a cross-between pre-painted (although not painted) and general gaming miniatures?

I'll have to wait to judge.

Just my personal opinion, but I would say Bones are equal to any general gaming miniatures I have in terms of their detail level and how they take paint. They're not metal/resin collector quality necessarily, although that could also be the sculpt they start with vs. the material. I think a lot of the prepaints I've seen suffer from a sub-par paint job more than a sub-par sculpt/cast. That means I don't really see the spectrum as clearly as prepaint < Bones < general gaming < collectors any more than plastic < metal < resin that some hold to, or plastic/resin < metal for that matter. For me it's more like prepaint/bones/general gaming miniatures in metal or plastic or Bones vinyl < collectors models in metal or resin, and even then that's strictly in terms of detail and surface texture. If you're trying to play a game with them there's durability to consider. Others may have a very different opinion there.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Legendary Encounters prepaints from Reaper are just painted Bones models, and the Bones line was the discovery that there's a market for those same models, without the paint. In that sense you couldn't really say they're anything but unpainted prepaints.

• Forum Mascot

I share the same opinion, but I'm a metal snob. In a couple of weeks I'll be doing a metal ogre and identical Bones ogre side by side with the same techniques on both. Then I'll know for sure what difference, if any, there is in actual quality.

It might turn out that the only practical difference, aside from heft, is that Bones bits like weapons tend to be more warped and bendy. However, if that's all the difference then Bones are perfect training models for beginning, particularly younger, painters.

The price point means I can load up on them and give them out as gifts, too. I wouldn't mind, actually, seeing Reaper develop one or two Bones-based basic learn to paint kits. Having it all in one package makes it a most excellent gift item.

• Like 2

Ok, i'm pondering to try to paint some, but i think it is not worth it (i think my painting skills would be not good, and getting colors and tools and all the stuff actually doing it would perhaps more then double the price)

I think you have seriously overestimated the cost of entry level supplies. A Reaper "learn to paint kit" is $26 and nets you primer, two brushes and enough paints to last quite a long time. Plus two bonus metal figures. Beyond that all you need is a hobby knife (like Xacto) and you probably already have one.

As for skills, we all start somewhere and the LTP kits come with detailed instructions and tips to help you become a good painter in a short time. Don't put yourself down.

• Like 1

I just got in a box of 30 multi-part plastic models for another game system, and I sat down Tuesday night to assemble them for an upcoming demo game. After spending 2 hours and only getting 6 models built, I've come to the realization that i have long since lost the desire to build tens or hundreds of little soldiers for games, especially when they are in 4, 5, even 6 or more parts.

From here on out, I think I'm going to be sticking to models that have no more than 3 pieces, and go for one piece models when ever I can, ESPECIALLY for minis I may want a lot of.

If, at some point, the multi part Bones are offered up as a separate product line with separate pieces for those who want them, great. I probably won't be buying any, unless they're the bigger monster/dragon sized models.