How many of you would like to assemble your own bones ?

rright0102

219 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to assemble your Bones yourself?

• I would prefer to assemble my Bones myself.
    • I like Bacon.
    • I don't have an opinion on this topic but like to push buttons.
    • My dog buried my Bones.
    • I would prefer to purchase my Bones preassembled.
    • Reaper Bryan deserves more Hot Wings.
    • I would prefer to only assemble larger Bones Models myself.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i'm pondering to try to paint some, but i think it is not worth it (i think my painting skills would be not good, and getting colors and tools and all the stuff actually doing it would perhaps more then double the price)

I think you have seriously overestimated the cost of entry level supplies. A Reaper "learn to paint kit" is $26 and nets you primer, two brushes and enough paints to last quite a long time. Plus two bonus metal figures. Beyond that all you need is a hobby knife (like Xacto) and you probably already have one.

As for skills, we all start somewhere and the LTP kits come with detailed instructions and tips to help you become a good painter in a short time. Don't put yourself down.

The big secret of painting well is this: It doesn't matter whether you can paint or not - you just need to have the abillity to go back and fix your mistakes. You don't have to do it right the first time since you can just go back and do it again. And again, lol. I'm not a particularly talented painter, but I've gotten really good at covering my oopsies so you can't see them. (Also, paint remover absolves all sins.)

I have literally seen a mini painted with a Q-tip using slightly thinned latex house paint and it turned out almost as well as the paint job on some of the earlier WotC DDMs...

I started painting with the same Testors enamel paint and Testors brushes I used for my plastic car models. For years, I did perfectly passable work with a couple of $5 brushes and a set of acrylic craft paints I bought at a department store. I have about 36 bottles of Delta Ceramcoat acrylic craft paint (2-ounce bottle for a dollar or so) and still use several of the more unique colors.

Even the small bottles that most miniature paints come in will last forever - In the past ten years, I've gone through exactly three dropper bottles of black...

You can easily get started painting for about $30. A Reaper Learn-To-Paint kit and a $2 hobby knife are all you need to start with.

And Quickshade! Don't forget the Quickshade! :D

That stuff is talent in a bottle. I'm not sure about using it on individual figures, but, thanks to this KS, I'm finally painting up 25 orks and this premade wash helps!

Unfortunately, I didn't see an equivalent brown wash in the Reaper paints or Reaper paint KS sets. Quickshade is made by The Army Painter, who are ex-employees of Games Workshop. You want the middle-strength Strong ink. http://www.thearmypa...r.com/index.php

EDIT: Whoops -- talking about the eye dropper, not the minwax inna can. Will test Reaper's black wash vs. the Quickshade ink when the Reaper paints arrive!

I think the complaints are getting absurd, and that maybe a few people could work on being a little less difficult to please.

I'm reasonably happy with Bones, especially for the price, but if someone asks "Would you rather have them unassembled?" I don't think it's absurd for me to answer "yes," and to comment on my personal experience, such as it is.

It should be self-evident that if you're reasonably happy with Bones, assembled or not, and if you're not being difficult to please, then the comment doesn't apply to you.

• Like 3

I prefer to have all the vampire figures assembled. Not only is there a lot of them, but there is a great variety. Like many that replied to the what will you do with your bones thread, I expect to use many of them for painting practice and to try out new ideas since they will not readily fit into any of my games. I would rather not have to go through the effort to assemble and pin a figure that is destined to be used for practice. On the other hand, the optional figures I selected will all be used in games and I have no problem with taking the time to assemble those larger figures.

I like bacon. c:

EDIT: besides, who gives a flying fudgenuckle? It's not like it's hard to take a razor to them if you want to swap out arms or get paint into a hard-to-reach place. as long as you have a steady hand don't use too much glue, no one will be any the wiser.

And if you have an unsteady hand, why would you want to assemble your own miniatures in the first place?

EDIT2: I think they're fine as is. I wouldn't be opposed to reaper giving my bones to me unassembled, but neither am I opposed to them shipping the "medium" to "small" minis in a single piece each.

Even if it could be better by your reckoning, the good people at Reaper are working their butts off just to tackle what's already on the agenda and finish it all by march-with reapercon following right after in april. They simply don't have the time to perfectly tailor everything to each and every person's desires and still hold true to the promise of shipping in march. It simple can not be done.

Edited by thatguywiththeface

I'm guessing they will arrive assembled and that this will be the standard for this line. Reaper does the broccoli bases for DHL for a reason: no assembly required. They sell better that way. This line is pitched even more directly at the gamers and kids rather than hobbyists, artists, and arts-and-crafts crowd. While I'm in the hobbyist bracket, it's time-poverty and kids (they go hand in hand) that makes this line attractive.

Indeed, until now, it's been the multi-part "assembly required" nature of the leading plastics (GW) that's kept me from buying into plastics. I hate assembly. Assembly for mooks? Never going to happen.

Every gamer has their preferences. I, for instance, am personally a "modeler/hobbyist" who enjoys the assembly and conversion of figures more than the painting. My wife is a painter, who would rather hand me the figures to assemble. Luckily for me, that suits me just fine, as I haven't had to paint a mini in years - with few exceptions.

My point: With over 17,000 respondents to the KS, there is not one single decision that will please them all. In fact, every decision we made along the way had one or more detractors, and one or more supporters.

Also, I also enjoy pushing buttons.

Every gamer has their preferences. I, for instance, am personally a "modeler/hobbyist" who enjoys the assembly and conversion of figures more than the painting. My wife is a painter, who would rather hand me the figures to assemble. Luckily for me, that suits me just fine, as I haven't had to paint a mini in years - with few exceptions.

My point: With over 17,000 respondents to the KS, there is not one single decision that will please them all. In fact, every decision we made along the way had one or more detractors, and one or more supporters.

Also, I also enjoy pushing buttons.

I'm the Modeler hobbyist also, I think the only bit I didn't get was if they are moulded as separate pieces. Then why spend the time, money to then stick the bits together when there was no need. Like I've said I can't really comment until I get them in my grubby paws.

I'd say overall I like painting miniatures more than building models. I'm not really sure why. Miniature painting just taps something in my lizard brain and transforms brush strokes into endorphins. I guess it's because if you remove assembly from the equation, everybody is starting from the same place. So when I go to paint, say, toadman with headbasket I've got all sorts of potential but I'm not losing points because I glued my fingers to it or he has a big seam (I loathe assembling miniatures worse than anything, even a trip to the dentist, but I'll do it if I have to). Or maybe I just like painting. Maybe it's tapping the little kid part of my brain that used to get excited over a tray of watercolours. I'm painting mommy! Mommy has a blue outfit, with some red, and maybe a cape. Maybe it's less mommy and more Supergirl, actually. But I'm five, so yayyyyyyy! Sugarrrrr!

But sometimes, I just want to build something. Less frequently, but I do. Model kits (as in the big mammer jammers, not a 5 or 10 piece mini) I treat sort of like puzzles. I buy an F-18 Hornet, I glue it together. Done, pleasure had, off to the recycling depot if they take styrene. I despise painting model kits! That's even worse than assembling miniatures. I will, sometimes, if it's something that demands paint and keeping around.

I once painted a 3-foot HMCS Snowberry by hand with Reaper Pro Paint. Most of the danged thing had to go white. You want to know why Buglips sometimes seems a little insane? Those 3.5 years, that's why.

I'm guessing they will arrive assembled and that this will be the standard for this line. Reaper does the broccoli bases for DHL for a reason: no assembly required. They sell better that way. This line is pitched even more directly at the gamers and kids rather than hobbyists, artists, and arts-and-crafts crowd. While I'm in the hobbyist bracket, it's time-poverty and kids (they go hand in hand) that makes this line attractive.

Indeed, until now, it's been the multi-part "assembly required" nature of the leading plastics (GW) that's kept me from buying into plastics. I hate assembly. Assembly for mooks? Never going to happen.

Assembling GW plastics is not the issue, it's finding ways to rank them up after you have assembled them.

• Like 1