Buying Raphael Brushes in Canada

Based on the many reviews I've read about Raphael's Kolinsky Sable brushes, I've been wanting to invest in a set of Series 8404's. I can't find any local or Canadian online retailers that sell them though. I tried placing an order through DickBlick.com but they told me that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife regulations prevent them from shipping natural hair brushes outside the U.S.

So, I thought I'd poll the collective wisdom of the Reaper Forums: does anyone know of any online retailers that sell Raphael's and can ship them to Canada?

• Forum Mascot

http://www.deserres....el/page-1/20/2/

It may be significantly easier to get Winsor & Newton Series 7's instead, which are also premium Kolinsky brushes.

ETA: That link doesn't seem to have 8404's, but it's all I could find. However, I did find a lot of posts out there from Canadians who also cannot get the 8404's. I don't have an explanation as to why, but my advice (which I know you haven't asked for) is that if they're that level of hassle to try and get they aren't worth the effort.

Thanks, Buglips.

I'll have to buy the good old Winsor & Newton Series 7's, which I can buy locally. Most comparisons that I've read said that the Raphaels have better spring and are slightly cheaper, so I was really interested in trying them out, but I guess they just aren't available here.

• Forum Mascot

Yeah, I'm surprised. I think the brand is made in France, and the only place in Canada I could find any was in Quebec. So this could be some weird trade thing or whatever. Now that said, you may be able to order them from Europe. I didn't really dig very deep in that direction, figuring that at a certain point the effort to find and procure may outweigh the advantages of having them. But if you really, really want these bad - that's the route I'd go.

there is a Dick Blick in Boston, road trip time! Don't you want to amaze at how rude and unfriendly us Bostonians are???

Best of luck with finding a good quality brush, I do love my Raphaels!

Yeah, but you pay more buying them in the store than you do ordering them from Dick Blick online.

If you do go to the DB in Fenway, make sure to stop by ballpark. It's 100 years old! Buy a brick or some souvenirs or Luchino will club a baby Russian butt fur weasel!

I live in Manitoba, so Boston would be one heck of a road-trip and a trifle far to go to buy some brushes :;): .

That said, I did visit Boston back in the summer of '93. I had a great time and even though I'm not a sports fan, I did enjoy my trip to Boston Garden, and seeing all the Gordie Howe memorabilia.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I know this thread is a bit on the older side, but whereabouts in Manitoba did you manage to pick up the W&N S7's? I've been looking and phoning around and haven't been able to find them anywhere yet.

I'm guessing the customs laws would even prevent ordering Raphaels from Dickblick and picking them up from the mail depot across the border. Though I might be able to play the sympathy card and explain that they're simply an ornamental display of what remains of my dear childhood pet weasel after the tragic incident near the mulberry bush with that damned monkey...

• Like 1

That said, I did visit Boston back in the summer of '93. I had a great time and even though I'm not a sports fan, I did enjoy my trip to Boston Garden, and seeing all the Gordie Howe memorabilia.

Gordie Howe in Boston! That's blasphemy!!

Curry's Art Store (www.currys.com) carries the Raphael line, though it appears that a #2 sable is the finest they have in stock on their website. It might be worth inquiring to see if they can get finer brushes to order. I've dealt extensively with Curry's, and they've never let me down.

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot