Sign in to follow this  
JackMann

77004 Cave Troll

Another mini done. This time I tried a little more with shading.

trollfront.jpg

I decided to finally give the grass green color from my Learn to Paint kit a go, and it formed the base coat for the troll. It may have been a little too bright, in hindsight. Mixed blue and green for the hair. Did some highlights by mixing the green with tanned skin. I wish I'd had some yellow to work with. I think that might have shown up better. You can't really see it in any of these pictures, but I lined the more obvious veins with black. I figured that would work well with the green skin.

trollback.jpg

A look at the back. I added some black here and there to mottle the skin a bit more. There was also a wash with citadel's Caliban Green. The claws were done with a more-or-less even mix of Carnage Red and Sapphire Blue.

trollleft.jpg

I'm not totally satisfied with the base. I was trying for a swamp look, with a tanned leather/intense brown mix with green on top. I think it would have looked better if I'd reversed it. Given a root system look.

trollright.jpg

Not much to say for this side. I probably did too much of the wash on the foot there. Looks almost like I lined it.

trolleyes.jpg

Here you can see my attempt at the eyes. I had trouble getting the eyes to really stand out. Red just seemed too obvious, black was too subdued, and white looked off. I ended up going with basic white with little black dots. Not great, and not well accomplished, but at least you can tell there are eyes there. Y'know, if you squint, and pretend.

• Like 1

If your green is too green, throw some brown into it. Start about 50/50 and adjust to taste from there (not that you should taste your paint). That'll make more olive-like. If you want more green, try 3/4 green and 1/4 brown. Or reverse for more brown. Where possible, try to get used to using common, easy to remember ratios like this. A notebook might help. But using a common set of ratios will help you figure out how much variance occurs so when you get an odd colour and you're not sure where to go with it, you'll be able to experiment better than if, say, you did one basecoat in 4 parts snot green, 1 part snail yellow, two and a half browny brown, a drop of ruby red and your next mix had similar whacky ratios.

(sometimes you'll have to get freaky with the ratios, but by the time you get there you should have your black belt in mixing already and be good to go)

I actually rather like the base.

Now that you're a few minis worth of practice in, improvement is starting to show rapidly. And that's the secret of life. Every single person on this board, unless they were some kind of freaky paint savant, has been through exactly these same stages. Some a little quicker . . . some of us a little slower (I painted an astonishing 800+ miniatures before I ever even used a proper brush for the job).

Be careful you don't burn yourself out!

Hey, I totally see the eyes. I was just looking at some of my old paintups...like maybe the fifth through tenth minis I ever painted, and I didn't even paint the corneas until I had a few dozen minis under my belt. Just little black slashes that I could convince myself were dots. There are D&D PPMs that look better than those minis!

Which is to say, you're coming along nicely.

I like the bright green, actually. Makes him somewhat more...bilious, I suppose is the word. Disease-y. Which is nice, on a troll. And although the photos do wash it out a bit, I can see where your highlights are headed. The mantra I've slowly and painfully learned is "Deeper shadows, higher highlights." Take your base color and start adding white (or other lighter colors, where appropriate) and just keep taking it up and up and up for the highlights. For shadows, a neat trick is to try complimentary colors when you can; this guy would benefit from a bit of red or reddish brown in the deepest part of his shadows. That'll give the highlights pop and his skintones depth.

Nice work--keep 'em coming!

I like to shade with brown. And I like to darkline with a blackish brown... or a brownish black. It's just something I like to do.

I also like to tell people how my fine arts tutor used to say a pencil sketch should shade from black in the deepest shadow, to white on the highest highlight.

Cause yeah. I studied a single unit of fine art for a single semester one time. And, ah, I use the term "study" in its broadest possible sense. Which is to say I didn't, because life drawing gave me anxiety attacks. True story.