UPCOMING CAV SOFTWARE

Froggy the Great

Wow, that software is so powerful, it has destroyed your caps lock key in the thread title. ^_^

Have you done all the data input for unit stats yet? That is the true test of your resolve, trust me.

I'm looking forward to it. It probably took a lot of effort.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that software is so powerful, it has destroyed your caps lock key in the thread title. ^_^

Have you done all the data input for unit stats yet? That is the true test of your resolve, trust me.

I'm looking forward to it. It probably took a lot of effort.

Yes. See my poor poor (sarcastic) caps lock.

All the units from both JsOR are entered, and half of them are proofread. Fear my obsessive behavior. :blink:

Weee! And windows only...

Too bad for us Proud Linuxers.

Maybe I'll take a stab at one in Python-GTK or something. Then it will run on Mac OSX, Windows and Linux. ( Or maybe PyQT, but there is no free Windows license for QT ).

And before someone says "What about Java", well, Python is less of a pain to set up, install, and one can build files that don't require the downloading and installation of a 32mb JRT.

You can kinda-sorta run ASPs.

Buuut, VB requires all sorts of extra MS only files.

Now if it were .NET, and C#, Linux could eventually run it, as a free .Net is in the works.

But why bother, when Python is here, and works? 100X better syntax than VB too.

After Thanksgiving, I may take a stab at a vehicle maker in Python. Good reason to learn PyQT...

Hey Frosh, anyone ever point out to you that you keep calling a Starhawk V a starhwak 4???? :blink: starhawk 5 (V) is the one from the original Rule book / JOR and the soon (hoping ::D: ) to be relesaed Starhawk is the 6 (VI)

I noticed that your screenshot is for a Starhawk IV....... :upside:

Your Website also has labeled a Starhawk V as IV (4) ::o:

Tim

Guys, 99% of the data we've been using up until very recently was entered in haste and not much attention to accuracy was paid, including in the naming. I will be changing the Starhawk V's name back to Starhawk V this evening when I attempt to complete the data from JoR1... then a couple of days to validate the JoR2 data and we'll be away on the data side of things.

The T/E/A boxes can be handy at times, but I personally (and many of my players have as well) found them an annoyance as they were misleading (total modifers does imply sit mods as well etc). And since Stuart and myself don't use upgraded crew all that much, the boxes were redundant.

Yes, the boxes will make an appearance because, at the end of the day, the point of this program is to print out Data Cards and allow them to be modified. The roster creation stuff was an incidental feature when the initial program concept was thought up, and to be honest, the driving force behind most of the issues still to be resolved is that 'it doesn't look like the data cards in the JoR's'. Trust me, I personally won't be happy with anything less than a Data Card which is a nigh on perfect recreation of the official ones.

Someone mentioned the custom design rules... and the answer right now is no. This will probably be the last thing to be incorporated simply because they're so 'grey' they're low down on the priority list of things to get done. But eventually, I don't doubt it'll be in there. Until then, hand coding a custom unit is possible.

A while back someone was asking about power warnings. Currently on screen three colours are shown depending on status (ok technically 4 are shown as if there is ample power it is on white (ok for the pedants white isn't a colour but a shade :blink: )). The power calculation is based on movement + all direct fire weapons and pod power. If there is enough power for all of these white background, if the turning of the pods means all weapons can fire then it uses yellow. If it can't fire all its DF weapons and move it goes orange and if it can move and fire any weaopons it goes red.

I am not yet sure how this information will be presented on the print outs.

Stuart

This looks very good, fellas.

I would like to echo the request for TEA at the bottom of each column. The highlighted Power Issues on the datacards would also be a welcome addition. Shades of Grey on the printout, perhaps?

And count me in if you need data entry / proofreading. Poring over screens full of data is nothing new to me.