UPCOMING CAV SOFTWARE

Froggy the Great

Another note on the data as you saw...I entered in all the CAV data cards. While I was doing so, the coder of the group was nagging me for the data so he could test out features, etc. I fully intended to proofread the files after they were entered. The screenshots came in the middle of the proofreading cycle, and were on un-proofed data.

In particular, I made the same arithmatic error on every single unit's point cost, but we won't go there, since I've corrected all the JoR2 units already. For that, and my persistent blindspot regarding Starhawks and Roman numerals, I submit to my thirty lashes with the wet noodle. The screenshots were intended to show proof of concept, not data-integrity of un-proofed files. :down:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is enough power for all of these white background, if the turning of the pods means all weapons can fire then it uses yellow. If it can't fire all its DF weapons and move it goes orange and if it can move and fire any weaopons it goes red.

You might want to watch how dark you make the orange and red so that the sheets can be printed on a (B&W) laser printer. Alternately, you could have an option that would change the colors to thin-line crosshatching of increasing density.

Umm if its being built in VB there is the possiblity we can port it over into RealBasic which would make it usable for OS X,

Oh PLEASE make an OS X version, guys!! As I saw mentioned at the beginning of the thread, part of the intent of this is to make a program more specific to CAV, at a cheaper price point than Army Builder. Army Builder is PC only, with no apparent intent on making a Mac OS X version, so I would greatly appreciate any program that did cater to my particular platform, without the necessity of emulation software. I don't have anything against AB, but I'm not big on the idea of spending more money on either (a)pc emulation software or (b)a 2nd computer, just so that I can run a $40 program. :rock:

I'm still new to buying CAV's, and have yet to even play the game :down: , but utilities along these lines make me a bit more eager to do more!

I'm with you Ironwolf, i'm lucky in that i already had a copy of pc emulation software on my Ibook. But a Mac OS native version would be nice, but we are a miniority.

Though..if the program was built in Java simular to the PCGen suite of softwares then it can be ported to diffrent platforms with little to no problem

This though would take a entirly new rewrite of the system.

Perhaps though once the guys have locked down the code and recived the proper approvals from Reaper, we can investigate moving the VB code over to a mac friendly code base with little to no change.

Mad Pat

Well as the coder I hold my hand up and say sorry, it is written in VB because having worked in programming for gulp 16 years my early days were spent with DOS and Clipper, then moving to Windows and Visual Basic. Every year I plan to find time to learn new languages, every year I never find the time as I am too busy doing visual basic work.

That said I am more than happy once this is stable to work with someone who has expierence with other platforms to look into porting a version. However lets try and get this going first.

Thanks for all the interest though.

Stuart

As for the printouts, I am not in favour of shading as I am dislexic(sp?) and it would make it difficult to see. We've plans afoot to deal with this, but we'll see what pans out :o)

Don't worry all, we'll sort something out for you black and white oficianado.

OK, I've got an evil question that I didn't see (pardon me if I skipped through the messages too fast).

I've got buddies who will never play CAV too often and have thought about doing the odd convention demo or two. What about having pictures of each CAV associate with the data card?

Currently, when I do a demo, I scan the datacard, insert this scan AND a picture of the CAV into a document and print it out. Very very easy to keep newbies (and the classification challenged) on target.

Thanks!

MichaelG

We're really tight on space for the printout right now. I don't think it'll work out, and if it did, it'd at least triple the download, but I'll run it by the others.

All your comments are duly noted and put on the issues list as requests, by the way. Whether they get acted upon depends on feasability and priority.

What about having pictures of each CAV associate with the data card?

love that idea, Michael.

I also try to put the part number on each data card and on the bottom of the model for ease of recognition.

Back on Topic, I did get to play some with this earlier this month, it works fine and wasn't tough on the computer challenged. I like it, I'd use it.

nice job guys

cher ^_^