last chance vampire set for $150?

Shadowdragon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those who asked and were added to the RPM while the kickstarter was going will be treated differently. Not sure though. I emailed Reaper and asked a couple days ago. I can reply here and let you know if/when I find out anything / get a reply.

I just read this in another thread:

Exceptions will be made to this rate ONLY for A)the two dozen people that e-mailed us DURING the Kickstarter and asked for the PayPal option, and B) the half a dozen people that contacted us and said their pledge was dropped/failed during the "final 30 minutes crash". We will count them as "Backers".
  • Like 2

Yeah, Reaper said in a KS comment, in reference to the $150 Vampire and +20% options --

Exceptions will be made to this rate ONLY for A)The two dozen people that e-mailed us DURING The Kickstarter and asked for The PayPal option, and B) The half a dozen people that contacted us and said their pledge was dropped/failed DURING The "final 30 minutes crash". We will count them as "Backers".

I'm of two minds on this situation. For one I think Reaper is doing the right thing. The people that backed during their Kickstarter should be getting the best deal. All these models will be available for retail purchase, but as an early adopter, willing to pay more than 6 months in advance, you get the best deal possible. Folks coming along later get an awesome but not quite as awesome deal. Everyone in the world still gets to buy them in March 2013. On the other hand, I think the whole thing was poorly handled. If I ruled the world, there would have been no mention of the Reaper Pledge Manager or PayPal options or any of that during the campaign. Nice, clean, easy to understand -- "You want in on this? Pledge now." Promising to let people sort things out later, fix mistakes in their pledges, pay with alternate methods, etc. is of course generous, but was very confusing at the time because the RPM didn't exist yet and Reaper hadn't decided yet exactly what features it would have, what prices would be in it, etc. So the campaign ends, and THEN announce how generous and awesome you are. The RPM will allow backers to adjust their pledges upward, and pay the difference with PayPal. In addition, we're letting non-backers in for $150 Vampire, +20% on options, payable with PayPal. No room for complaints from anyone, no mixed signals or confusion in the KS comment stream mess, and you're still being generous and helping people out that made mistakes in their math or whatever. If people were e-mailing during the campaign and asking for PayPal (apparently about two dozen were) then tell them in e-mail that you'll work with them to get them the KS deal, we'll contact you after the KS campaign (after the RPM is announced).

Anyway, that's not how it played out. Quite a few people had different perceptions based on which subset of FAQer video, official updates, comment stream messages, and/or forum posts they read during the campaign. The FAQer video said "Don't worry, you can pay with PayPal", and there were several people either not pledging at all or pledging $1 to sort out what they wanted next month. Unfortunately you missed the comments from Reaper that "there may be a higher price" in the RPM, and "we haven't decided on pricing", and then later in the campaign "there will likely be a higher price for nonbackers". Hope you can still see 241 miniatures for $150 as a great deal. You're still paying about 1/3rd the retail price come March.

• Like 3

Just so you know, you're complaining about the opportunity to get 240 miniatures for 66% off MSRP, simply because you waited until the 80% off sale ended to do any real information-gathering. And the options? Nethyrmaul MSRP will be AT LEAST $50. But in the RPM, nethy's only $30. Kaladrax II MSRP will probably be comparable to nethy's. But in the RPM, kaladrax II is only $12.

Edited by thatguywiththeface

I just wish the price increase was mentioned somewhere a little more obvious. But, fortunately I'm one of those that contacted reaper about the paypal option while the kickstarter was still going. It's not the price increase itself I was worried about, it was that I was all ready to buy into the kickstarter when it was on but was told paypal would be available after the kickstarter, so I decided to wait (I hate using my credit card unless absolutely necessary). But, there was no mention of a price increase if I did wait, so seeing the thing on the reaper main page made me feel like I was being ripped off. I don't mind the higher price, it's still amazing, I just wish I'd known about it while the kickstarter was still going. Oh well, hopefully I qualify for the original prices. Of course, if kickstarter just allowed people to pay using paypal, this wouldn't be a problem at all (stupid kickstarter, and stupid amazon).

. . . fortunately I'm one of those that contacted reaper about the paypal option while the kickstarter was still going.

Sounds like you're golden for the original pricing! Genuinely glad to hear that. More happy customers for Reaper can only be a good thing for everyone. The comment I referenced was in the Kickstarter Comment page on August 25th. You can find it with a Google search of "site:kickstarter.com reaper bones paypal exception" (5th hit for me) ... but unfortunately because Kickstarter has the worst comment system on the Internet, you can't actually click through to read the comment or link to it. Google indexes on the page URL, and KS comment page numbers don't remain constant, so the URL is not valid after there's been a new page worth of comments. While that comment appeared on "page 14" whenever GoogleBot crawled the site, it's now some completely different page number. Anyway, if you need it, you could page through the comments and find it eventually with this info.

(aside) You'd think with the millions of dollars raining down on Kickstarter for doing nothing more than hosting some webpages they could afford to add a feature or two over the past year. A comment system that doesn't suck is a good place to start. Paypal or Google Checkout would be another trivial addition. With the weak 'social' element in Kickstarter they're probably ripe for being overtaken by competitors... their margins are certainly fat enough.

• Like 2

Given that the plastic does not ship until March, it would not be unreasonable to open the RPM over the course of a week. Send out 350 emails 10 times a day (every two hours.) They could begin processing the early shipments as people completed the process.

• Like 1

Just so you know, you're complaining about the opportunity to get 240 miniatures for 66% off MSRP, simply because you waited until the 80% off sale ended to do any real information-gathering. And the options? Nethyrmaul MSRP will be AT LEAST $50. But in the RPM, nethy's only $30. Kaladrax II MSRP will probably be comparable to nethy's. But in the RPM, kaladrax II is only $12.

Not quite an accurate analogy in my opinion, I'd rather say this: the impression people got was that the 80% off sale was to be extended, so people felt safe in waiting. Later they find that the sale wasn't extended but rather replaced with a 66% off sale.

It's still an awesome price, but you can't get around the fact that people (myself included) feel the communication wasn't very clear on this. That is completely different from complaining about the sale not being "good enough" and more about being sorry to have waited based on an inaccurate understanding of the situation.

It's still an awesome deal that I will take advantage of, and I think it's an awesome kickstarter that I am very happy about participating in. But yeah I am simultaneously sorry I didn't understand the situation correctly, because if I had I would have acted differently and gotten more minis for my money.

Edited by vejlin