Paint Kits!

Miar

The trick is...

Thanks for the tip, just got my LTPK1 and the sword is a bit droopy, not nearly as much as the picture above though.

I had left a comment while ordering saying thanks for the kickstarter, etc. and actually got a handwritten "Thanks for your support!" with a smiley face on my order form in the box. Something small, but it really gave me warm fuzzies on opening the package.

I'm excited for monday when I have some time to jump into my first paint!

• Like 2

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input so far, folks! I found that I do have some useful tools already. I work on a lot of electronics and have lots of little tools. One is a burnishing tool with a pointy tip and I also have a lot of dental tools.

So I used the burnishing tool to get a feel for the metal. I used the sides of the tool to rub along the sword blades and the pieces of plate that I want to be flatter. The surfaces are definitely flatter and a lot shinier now! Still WIPs though. The minis that came with the LTPKs are definitely in a lot better shape than the hobgoblins. Those must be from old molds.

I haven't gotten the brushes yet so I will hold off starting painting until then. Actually, my bench of shame has a disassembled guitar amplifer on it and I need to get that all put back together and working so my bench is free and clear for miniature painting!

I haven't gotten the brushes yet so I will hold off starting painting until then. Actually, my bench of shame has a disassembled guitar amplifer on it and I need to get that all put back together and working so my bench is free and clear for miniature painting!

Don't you have brushes from the LTPK kits? Might as well start learning with what you have. When you get some Kolansky sables, retire your LTPK brushes for basecoating and drybrushing.

Do you have a local art store? See if they have an email list so you can watch for sales on sable brushes! Keep an eye out for color theory books and use Kuler.com to create paint palettes. Bad enough that we have to learn how to paint. We have to learn color composition too??? :D

Learn color composition? Maybe not. My randomly colored girly wound up being my highest rated CMON mini. At first I thought people from here were overvoting for kicks, so I told them not to - but she's had enough votes now that she should have normalized.

But yet . . . still a 7.3 last I checked.

:blink:

• Like 2

I don't 'believe' in perfect paint schemes, but in a world where adventurers and monsters wear/use the best gear available no matter if it looks pretty or not. Maybe some female figure will match more, perhaps. The paladin will wear the pink plate mail with purple polka-dots if it is awesome enough.

And I like the tarnished, beat up, and worn look... the realist look for adventurers and monsters. I have to learn to paint rust!

Man, paint kits must be flyin out the door. I'm still waiting for the Kit #1 I ordered for my nephew to arrive in the mail (I expect any day now, custom might have it) and they're already sold out again. And I think the "in stock" was in 4 digits then.

I dont think they actually sold all of them, just adjusted the stock level. Ive been watching to see when Kit 2 comes in stock, and the kits that were in stock were in the high 2000's, slowly decreasing over the space of a few days, then jumped from about 2500 to out of stock in the space of a day.

I hope they're back in stock if/when she orders one.

I emailed a few days ago to find out whether the KS bottle shortage would cause problems with the LTPKs too and was told they expect to have some more in stock "very soon" (or possibly very SOONtm).

If Bones kits become a thing, I'm hopeful we'll see them in addition to these rather than a replacement for these. Just so's there is a bit of choice.

Oh, I'd say so. They're different beasts, aren't they? Not even counting the missing priming step, there's a different sort of mould line cleaning to be done and also the bendiness of Bones... Pure speculation, but I think it'd be a bad idea to replace the L2PKs with only L2PBs.

• Like 1