Paint Kits!

Miar

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone give a break down of the techniques in each L2Paint set?

Sure can! (in order of useful learning)

Kit 1 : drybrushing and washing - basically armor and fur.

Kit 2: layering and more washing - how to use thin layers on skin and cloth for more precise detail than drybrushing. Also more mixing

Kit 4: More layering, this time with the master series triad system. Also covers lining.

Kit 5: Demi-metallics. How to mix pure metal paints with regular paint to achieve more precise shading and highlights.

Kit 3: Non metallic metals. King of all mixing kits, this will keep you busy with custom colors. Deals with painting metallic-looking effects without using metallic paint.

• Like 5

Very glad to see that the learn to paint kits are being revamped. I really wanted to get some with the Kickstarter, but understand it was beyond the scope of the project. I'm less glad about the switch from booklet to DVD, though. For a couple of reasons, I don't seem to get video instructions very well, and (well-written) printed instructions are much more helpful for me. If/when you guys make the switch, would you be willing to put the instructions in booklet form somewhere on your site (password protected even, if you wanted) so we could print them?

Touching on what I was saying in my drone WIP thread, I ordered kit #1 because I want to run them end to end. But kit 1 is where my skills are coming back into the hobby, and even they are pretty rusty. I'd say right now I'm working on kit 2 skills, stumbling around on my own.

Wren, I've got Laszlo's DVD but I haven't gotten real far into it. I like the instruction but the transitions are a bit annoying, every few seconds cutting to music. I'm a visual learner so I like watching demonstration video, but it's clunky because my DVD player isn't near my painting station, so at best I have to run across the room to watch something, pause, run back over and paint. That's how my current WIP is going with Ali's instructions.

Even with all that, nothing beats actually seeing the technique used and explained.

If you look on the left hand side of my worktable in this picture: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45698-my-paint-area-prepping-for-the-2012-2013-season/page__view__findpost__p__633866 you can see a chargable, foldable, transportable DVD player with integral screen.

$10 at Walmart. (won't play MP3, AVI, or MPG though)

CDs, regular DVDS, plays just fine. Audio provided by cheap computer speakers.

So I finally received the two kits I ordered for my fiance on Friday, and we got to break out the first one on Saturday for a few hours. She didn't want to have anything to do with the rat, so I went ahead and painted it up, and she started working on the fighter. It was a lot of fun painting together, although she's worried that she's too slow. Once she finishes the fighter I'll post pics under show off. My first painted mini in 9 years, and her first ever!

• Like 3

Just got in my kit #1 and I'm quite impressed with the value. Read through the sheet while eating lunch because I left my book at work and it's nicely laid out and clear. There are a couple omissions (the straps on the fighter's legs were done a bit later), but easy enough to figure out (heh) from the rest of the instructions.