My first Mini - Alice in Wonderland

Argentee

Hi, thought I'd post a picture of my first mini. Alice was painted entirely with artists acrylics, since that's what I had around the house. The white rabbit's fur was painted with artist acryllics as well, and came out horribly blue. The coat and pants were painted with a blend of Reaper Pro HD and artist acrylics, since my HD set 2 arrived. Set 1 seems sold out everywhere! :down: I can't wait for the paints from kickstarter to arrive. Pictures were taken on my cellphone, I apologize for the quality.

post-8219-0-69417600-1347823751_thumb.jpgpost-8219-0-07528200-1347823762_thumb.jpgpost-8219-0-45003900-1347823795_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums! Very good for your first mini. You have good brush control and color choices. So, you are well on your way. ::D: This hobby is tough, but this site is a good place to learn and get constructive criticism. Here is what I think you can work on that will help out greatly:

Using the craft paint is limiting your ability. They look pretty chalky. I would suggest using Reapers Master Series Paints. You do not have to go all out and buy a ton of them right away unless you have the money and that is what you want to do. When I started out painting seriously a little over 2 years ago, I would find a Mini on-line, picture what I want to do even before I purchased it, then once I got that picture in my head, I would then buy it. At that time I would buy the paints I thought I would use to complete the idea I had in my head. I would think about getting the basic colors (Pure White, Pure Black, Rainy Gray, Brush-On Primer, And some sort of sealer) also. The addition of the HD paints helped, but you will find more color choices in the MSP series and the Triads are the perfect way to get your shading and Highlighting colors without having to mix.

The skin of Alice could use some shading. If you did shade, then your camera or lighting took it away.

Again welcome and keep up the good work.

Way to go on your first mini!

I can definitely see the shading on the skin, clothes, and objects such as the cane and the pocket watch. It appears that she is wearing white leggings, I hope that is correct b/c she definitely has a different tone than her arms there. The rabbit's face and pants really stand out in terms of being done exceptionally well, especially for someone so new to the craft.

If your paints are acrylic, try thinning with a little bit of water before applying it to her. It will help smooth it out.

Great to have you here! ^_^

It appears that she is wearing white leggings, I hope that is correct b/c she definitely has a different tone than her arms there.

Yes she is wearing white leggings. The legs were originally the same color(s) as the arms and face, then covered with a white glaze. I'm glad you can see the shading on the skin, but I fear I went too subtle with it.

just redo alice eyes :wow:

*laughs* Eyes are definitely my weakest spot!

I don't plan on redoing this figure... I want to put it aside, and if I'm still doing miniatures in a year, do a second Alice, probably with a different color scheme, and compare the two. Hopefully with two-hundred-mumble bones figures coming to paint, I'll be able to see progress!

I don't have a FLGS... well, I have a local game store, but it's not friendly. My local comic book store, however, is willing to order paints for me and give me my comic's subscriber discount on them, so I'm ordering a few paints from them to tide me over until the Kickstarter paints arrive. :lol:

• Like 1

This is better than my first attempt by far. I'd recommend moving the rabbit off to one side, but still near the front of the base. Right now, he's blocking a large chunk of Alice. You did a great job with the bottle in her hand. I've only attempted something like this once before and your work is much better than what I came up with.

dont be lazy and redo it, i know you can do it :bday:

Actually, I make it a point not to redo minis either - unless they're rare and valuable. But for everything else, I'll just buy another later if I want a better version.

Because if I repainted stuff every time I learned how to do something new and better, I'd never get past the first ten miniatures.

• Like 4

Actually, I make it a point not to redo minis either - unless they're rare and valuable. But for everything else, I'll just buy another later if I want a better version.

Because if I repainted stuff every time I learned how to do something new and better, I'd never get past the first ten miniatures.

Hee! That's how I feel... And besides, I have this whole Alice Diorama in my head that... well... it will be ages before I'm skilled enough to do. I will stop torturing this poor Alice and move on to torturing Dita. :devil: I've also ordered the Reaper learn to paint kit #2 and will work on that when I get it.

Hee! That's how I feel... And besides, I have this whole Alice Diorama in my head that... well... it will be ages before I'm skilled enough to do. I will stop torturing this poor Alice and move on to torturing Dita. :devil: I've also ordered the Reaper learn to paint kit #2 and will work on that when I get it.

I also do not like to repaint old paint jobs b/c I like to have a track record of my progress. If I want to repaint it, I'll buy another.

I also do not like to repaint old paint jobs b/c I like to have a track record of my progress. If I want to repaint it, I'll buy another.

That too. However, that's not feasible with Parthas so they're the exception. 5 or 10 dollars for a replacement is one thing . . . 50 to 100, not so much. Welcome to Simple Green Acres, population: you!

*splash*

That too. However, that's not feasible with Parthas so they're the exception. 5 or 10 dollars for a replacement is one thing . . . 50 to 100, not so much. Welcome to Simple Green Acres, population: you!

*splash*

I've just gone through some of my first minis and found a few I need to paint again...but I will definitely buy another and paint it...no snse in losing the physical archive.

I also love the Bette Davis Eyes article.

Buglips, I hear ya on the Partha Repainting...we really lucked out and found the entire Dragonlance Heroes set in a random lot on ebay with a few dozen other figures, so we (the wife and I) each got to paint the set...but I'm about to start on the Draconians and I know I have to do a bang-up job (without the banging; these suckers are SOFT) or they'll just get stripped again. The Takhisis is all hers, though.

Buglips, I hear ya on the Partha Repainting...we really lucked out and found the entire Dragonlance Heroes set in a random lot on ebay with a few dozen other figures, so we (the wife and I) each got to paint the set...but I'm about to start on the Draconians and I know I have to do a bang-up job (without the banging; these suckers are SOFT) or they'll just get stripped again. The Takhisis is all hers, though.

I have half the Dragonlance Villains set and half the Heroes set. Just enough to make life aggravating. Do I go for a full box set? Just try to piece one together from loose offerings? I don't even like Dragonlance characters (truthfully, I don't like any of the named AD&D characters - save two: Factol Rhys and Factol Pentar).

As a result, these two sets will likely be the last I cobble together.

ETA: But of all the named characters, I hate Driz'zt most of all. Only my enduring love for Ral Partha got him in the door. My god, you have no idea how much I hate Driz'zt. If a crusade to eliminate all traces of him forever were remotely feasible I'd probably dedicate my life to the pursuit of his obliteration from all media and reference.

But he's a Partha, consarnit, so all I can do is make evil faces and put off painting him.

• Like 3