Graveyard grass?

ThornDJL7

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I based undead minis, I used WS fine ground "soil" foam, topped with that "burnt grass" static flock. Looked nice.

Got a photo, or better yet... Do you have like a CMON gallery?

Sorry. No pics of the based ones and I've since unbased them and gone for the painted base look. That comes out of my desire to "paint yet preserve" my Ral Parthas, so I try to avoid the use of additional materials now.

I do have a CMON gallery now, but all that's in there is my recent "color my mini" mini.

ETA: entirely by random chance, I found a CD with no label and it had pictures on it of my old based minis. I can't get into my photohost at the moment, but when I can - probably later today - I have two minis with soil and burnt grass on them.

How weirdly random is that?

The pics:

.ghoul.jpg

.deathdog.jpg

That is a Grenadier Death Dog. These are old pics, before The Third Great Pruning* when I cut down my miniature habit to only Reaper, Ral Partha, and RAFM. The tongue is not custom, I just trimmed the bit where it was molded to the foreleg.

* Yes, third. I've literally given away more than 1,000 miniatures.

The Burnt Grass looks darker/browner than I think merely dead/dry grass should be. I would choose the Harvest Gold, instead.

Putting on my "judge of a painting contest" hat now -- if you have highlighted the figure, then I would expect to see painted highlights on the grass and other basing. Put a lighter yellow or yellow-brown on your brush and hit the tips of the grass strands.

It is also nice if you use the same colors on the figure and on the basing, or at least choose colors for the base that complement the figure.

It's a little extra work, but you can highlight it with the same paint brands you'd use for the basing and minis. Of course, wait for the glues to dry thoroughly (personal experience :zombie: )

Righto. I've gotten a dead-grass effect from green static grass (I think it was the Medium Green -- not a very vivid green) by painting it ocher-yellow with paler yellow highlights.

If you are basing a lot of figures with "dead grass", then it will be easier to start with the yellow-brown static grass, but if you already own some green static grass and don't want to buy a tub of the brown, then you can use yellow-brown paint over the green grass.

Enjoy,

Derek

That is a Grenadier Death Dog.

Interesting. I have the same sculpt, but it was a Hound of Tindalos from Grenadier's Call of Cthulhu Mythos Creatures boxed set.

Grenadier would often rerelease figures under different names and sets over the years. The Cthulu minis esp. were rereleased under the "Nightmares" range of minis after they lost the official Cthulu license to RAFM. It was a way to circumvent the restriction and still sell the minis under the "new" names....

It actually worked out for me as I collected a lot of old minis I'd never been able to find before the rerelease.

See this great site for info on the Nightmares line (and other old minis): http://www.miniature...%28Grenadier%29

The Burnt Grass looks darker/browner than I think merely dead/dry grass should be. I would choose the Harvest Gold, instead.

Putting on my "judge of a painting contest" hat now -- if you have highlighted the figure, then I would expect to see painted highlights on the grass and other basing. Put a lighter yellow or yellow-brown on your brush and hit the tips of the grass strands.

It is also nice if you use the same colors on the figure and on the basing, or at least choose colors for the base that complement the figure.

It's a little extra work, but you can highlight it with the same paint brands you'd use for the basing and minis. Of course, wait for the glues to dry thoroughly (personal experience :zombie: )

Righto. I've gotten a dead-grass effect from green static grass (I think it was the Medium Green -- not a very vivid green) by painting it ocher-yellow with paler yellow highlights.

If you are basing a lot of figures with "dead grass", then it will be easier to start with the yellow-brown static grass, but if you already own some green static grass and don't want to buy a tub of the brown, then you can use yellow-brown paint over the green grass.

Enjoy,

Derek

Never even realized you could paint static grass. It has always been something I've done AFTER I've sealed the mini and considered it "painted". Are there any good static grass articles out there I've missed?

• Like 1