Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Giant Bases

Good. I never cared for giving my money to the Evil Empire for 50mm squares, but they were one of the few decent sources out there for them. Then they stopped producing the packages with *only* 50mm in them, so I stopped buying from them too. It's been a PITA to find a decent replacement source. I'd much rather give Reaper my money for them if I can.

~v

• Like 3

Yes! Basing minis is one of my favorite things to do, and I really didn't want to have to go to the previously mentioned Evil Empire for them. I'm going to be getting quite a few of the options from the KS campaign, so this is welcome news indeed.

I haven't tried removing the built-in base for the smaller minis yet, but it looks like it should be fairly easy.

Good. I never cared for giving my money to the Evil Empire for 50mm squares, but they were one of the few decent sources out there for them. Then they stopped producing the packages with *only* 50mm in them, so I stopped buying from them too. It's been a PITA to find a decent replacement source. I'd much rather give Reaper my money for them if I can.

~v

I'm just waiting for Reaper as well. I'm playing Warlord as much as I can lately, and as much as I love the metal 2" bases, I'd like a Bones base. I'd also like to use them to put under the heavy metal bases of my Metal Warlord beasties. I think something attached to the bottom would reduce tear on the kitchen table and gaming mats.

Bases are one of the first things we will be working on to complement the Bones line.

This is good to hear. Hopefully it will be friendly to 1" square conventions of certain RPG's we all know.

A big ditto to this! I was very peeved when I ran out and discovered that GW was making them available only in a multipack with other sizes. I got a bunch from GF9, but I don't like the MDF wood quite as well as the plastic.

I hope that both larger round and square bases are being considered by Reaper.

I do use square bases for mounting minis I'll be using in war games so that appearance-wise they'll fit in with the rest of my armies. However I actually prefer the way minis look on round bases, and mount minis I intend for display and/or RPG use on those. That's also why I sometimes buy two of some minis I could see being used for both games.

Some of the Bones mini's I already own are a bit difficult to fit on "normal" bases, like the ogre and minotaur, and I expect the Bones Kickstarter will have a slew more, so I'll be watching for anything coming from Reaper themselves.

Good. I never cared for giving my money to the Evil Empire for 50mm squares, but they were one of the few decent sources out there for them. Then they stopped producing the packages with *only* 50mm in them, so I stopped buying from them too. It's been a PITA to find a decent replacement source.
Yeah, last decent deal GW had. $5 for a bag full of bases.

So far I think these guys have the best price on plastic bases

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html

Proxie models is also affordable.

http://proxiemodels.com/basesonly.aspx

I like 2" metal washers from the hardware store. Adds nice heft to a plastic minis.

I love their bases and would rather buy them from TX than the wrong side of the world :)

This is a really interesting idea. I wonder how well the Bones materials would work in place of resin. On the plus side; a sprue of bases would seem like it could be cost effective, and they would have great re-sell value (as opposed to a character mini, buyers - especially wargamers - could conceivably want dozens of the same base/sprue).

~v

Evil Empire does sell 50mm square bases, 3 for $4.95..pfft, at least in the US. I hope Reaper makes the larger plain square bases that match up with D&D 3.5 sizes. And also square or oval sizes to match their hydra, dragons, and other large long critters. Prefer them blank so I can do my own base decoration. I based my kobolds on 20mm square, and it seems like the ogres, gnolls and bugbears are going to take 40mm square, but thats ok since they look cool on the 40mm.

Actually I'm hoping for small bases more than large ones. That way I could fit two small creatures into a one inch square like you're supposed to be able to do. Although the mini itself would have to be able to this as well.