Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

77008: Male Human Warrior

So first off, some little white specs of dust or something got on my mini just prior to sealing, and I failed to notice. I'm quite annoyed. The camera of course makes them more visible than the naked eye; it's a bummer.

Didn't do anything special with this guy's base, just some basic, "I'll be adventuring today" basing.

As with all the Bones miniatures I've painted, I haven't noticed any major difference in quality than the metals. In fact, I think they take paint a little more graciously.

I decided to make the flat circular portion of the sword's hilt a gemstone and painted both sides accordingly.

I also wanted his brown leather to look well worn, so I took some of the highlights a little more than I might have normally.

C&C welcome.

post-7416-0-76302000-1348003874.jpg

post-7416-0-82973000-1348003877.jpg

post-7416-0-38824500-1348003882.jpg

post-7416-0-52644700-1348003887.jpg

• Like 2

He looks great! The NMM are nice but the sword and the back of the shield would benefit from some more attention. The gold looks a little tto yellow, some more shading and highlights would help too. The gems are a very nice, I like their color.

Your choise of color is very good. And, the base is awesome, I like its natural look. Is it made of natural cork or you used small stones?

Ok, you may not think the base is anything special, but I like the way it looks. Would you mind telling me your "everyday" basing process?

Yeah, no problem. I have some gravel-looking really fine brown gravel that I picked up at a hobby store. I'm not sure what the brand is b/c I bought this stuff years ago. I just use some Elmer's glue (dries clear) and apply it randomly on the base, then dip it in my vat of gravel and allow it to sit submerged for a couple minutes. After tapping off the excess, and allowing it to dry for about 5 minutes to room air, I then apply some more glue. Some of the glue is applied to areas that didn't get any glue/gravel on the 1st pass, then some is applied to the gravel itself. I then use tweezers to drop clumps of static grass on the base, and after about 20 seconds I invert the mini and tap the base so the static grass does it's trick. Total time <10 minutes; most of it waiting. :;):

He looks great! The NMM are nice but the sword and the back of the shield would benefit from some more attention. The gold looks a little tto yellow, some more shading and highlights would help too. The gems are a very nice, I like their color.

Your choise of color is very good. And, the base is awesome, I like its natural look. Is it made of natural cork or you used small stones?

The sword was really tricky b/c the dang thing goes straight up and down. With regards to the back of the shield, that was a conscious decision as the shield has a drastic curvature that the camera doesn't really show. I could in fact have darkened it some more if I'd really wanted to.

As far as the gold is concerned, I wanted to go for a more 'Arabian' gold, something richer than the stuff we're used to in America; something akin to the ring that posters such as buglips has for having >1000 posts (or whatever the goal is). ^_^

With the annoying white flecks I've identified, I might just go back and play with these elements some more.

I do all my basing after the mini is painted and sealed.

The one area that this is not the case is when I'm using green stuff to modify or create a new base. Though I have been known to do green stuff after painting as well.

I think it looks great. I especially like the gem on the sword hilt. The armor looks very good. I do agree the gold looks too yellow, though, to look metallic. A darker base color might help, like Palomino Gold, even if you use the brighter yellow to make it look shinier/richer than typical gold.

Okay All in favor for an Adrift WIP for NMM, Holler AYE

AYE!!

I'm not sure I'm patient enough to stop and take that many pictures. ^_^

I'm actually planning on attempting a WIP thread on the next mini..it doesn't have any metal however. I'll pick a NMM mini on the next go 'round and do a WIP.

I really appreciate the compliment. :blush:

I really like what you did with a fairly simple mini. The colors a very nice and stand out well. I love the basing. It looks real and real is hard to do in this scale. My only critique is the NMM on the sword. I like the colors, but the highlight does not seem natural. When I paint NMM I get the base coats on then use a flash light to represent where I want the light coming from to get an idea of where the highlights will fall, then I start putting them in. They are usually more exaggerated at this scale, than would be in real life though. My issue with my own NMM is the blending. Can't ever seem to get it quite right. Overall though, I like what you have done. Keep it up. Many of the figures you have posted have inspired me to work on areas of my skills that I have neglected. I really like your work.

• Like 1

<p style="text-align: center">I have done some improvements to the paintjob per some of the suggestions I received, I'm just in the midst of 6 night shifts in 8 nights in the ICU. I'll hopefully get some refreshed pics up in about 2 days.</p>