Very disappointed in Reaper customer service

Miar

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shakandara-

(now that I've written this take it with a grain of salt and lots of smiley faces interspersed. I know you are trying to be helpful in what you say and mostly positive I'm just not in a very positive mood at the moment)

I already stated I didn't think there was malice behind it.

I feel like I did give it a chance with their service representative.

It may be a rare situation given where their current business is, but 3/4 of the world is a lot of opportunity.

The free shipping in this equation really isn't the point it's that they are effectively making customers outside the EU, US and Canada pay additional charges (Yes, some charges are necessary I just firmly believe these are not). These charges do not originate from Reaper the originate from banks. The come from having to make an extra currency conversion that is unnecessary.

If reaper had no free shipping to anywhere as long as they had reasonable shipping charges I would not care.

Yes, you have experience is customer service that's wonderful. And you shouldn't use that as to mean 'I'm right'. You don't know what experience I have and it's the like saying look I have a bigger stick. It's a game and not a nice one. You can state evidence, that's something else entirely but saying I have more experience really doesn't help. We can all do that, here see - I have a degree in speech studies and philosophy and have done lots of analysis on the way speech and space and dress effect communication. How you can alienate target groups in the way you advertise and setup your business. I have my own business and do have to deal with public relations and I have lived as an expat for over 15 years and have a good knowledge of how things are seen from outside the US. I order from the USA among other place a lot and have never had this issue before.

Does that really help (me or you)? You say I haven't been particularly respectful. There have been a number of posts I have intentionally ignored that I feel didn't really read what I wrote carefully and commented in a way that didn't logically make sense given the information I gave. It is true I haven't ignored some :(

If you feel I haven't given enough information that's true. I wanted to keep it more abstract and less emotional. In cases like this I think the most helpful thing people could have done for both sides is let me blow my steam in that first post. Say 'that's to bad your having that experience I hope it's resolved' then wait and let someone from Reaper talk to me.

Making negative comments toward me is not going to make me feel any better. It is not going to win Reaper more business. And like you said I haven't really given you enough information either. I certainly don't expect you to say Reaper is evil or agree with me. And Reaper hasn't had a chance to comment given the time difference (if they even choose to).

In cases like this I think the most helpful thing people could have done for both sides is let me blow my steam in that first post.

If you post to a public board with an opinion that (based on years of comments and years of personal experience) does not match those of the vast majority of customers, I think it's a bit precious to assume you will not get any pushback.

"I want to stand up in the middle of the bar and shout derogatory comments about the proprietor and nobody else should say anything!"

FWIW, I think that in situations like these it's best to either provide actual details (to counter the presumption that you're just a troll) or to not discuss this in public at all.

Opinions, it would seem, vary.

Well, I'm sorry that you feel our policies are damaging to you. We try to set up policies that are fair and still not damaging to our business model.

Beyond that, I don't really have enough detail from this thread alone to address your 5 main complaints. You are *always* welcome to e-mail me directly, my e-mail is in my signature, or it is [email protected]

Bear in mind the time difference between your location and mine means that we will likely not both be awake/at work at the same time, so there is an inevitable delay in communication - which was one of your complaints. We do not staff a customer service desk 24 hours a day, and are not likely to do so.

Shakandara-

(now that I've written this take it with a grain of salt and lots of smiley faces interspersed. I know you are trying to be helpful in what you say and mostly positive I'm just not in a very positive mood at the moment)

I already stated I didn't think there was malice behind it.

I only attempted to provide some perspective to an issue that you appear to be having a hard time dealing with. If you are unable to find value in that, that's unfortunate.

Your post regarding malice came through while I was typing my post; you'll note that our posts are only 9 minutes apart. As I am currently at work, I can rarely devote my full attention to the forums for very long, and my posts are often interrupted.

It's also unfortunate that you view my post as an attack on you; I chose my words carefully and as I intended them. I can see how upset you are by all of this, and it appears to be coloring your opinion of my observations about the content and tone of your OP. I'm fairly certain at this point there is nothing else that I can say that will be of any help in your current frame of mind. Best of luck to you.

~v

Just wanted to say that I am having my first experience with Reaper customer support and so far I have no complaints. It involves a mini missing from a boxed set and although I don't have mini in hand yet ( I only contacted them Sunday evening, so they haven't had time to get it to me yet) I have recieved multiple emails telling me the status of my issue. So far I have to give the folks at Reaper a thumbs up. Also Reaper staff and especially Bryan are active on the forums and seem to address any issues rapidly. I'd suggest to the OP to give Reaper a chance and consider the time difference and hopefully things can be worked out to everyones satisfaction. Everyone is human.

William

• Reaper User

Miar,

In your original email to us you did not state what country you were addressing us from so we had no basis to respond to your question in any other manner than the response you received, which was.

“I believe the only way to receive free shipping to your country is to pick your country's currency... not USD. I hope I answered your question. Thanks!”

The next question you posed,

Q: “So you are saying that if I pay with a US credit card and I live in another country I can't get free shipping?

should probably have been answered a simply as this,

A: ”Yes”

But, our employee was trying to help solve your problem by giving you options and was not sure of the exact details of our international shipping policies and procedures for this exceptional situation.

If a shipment is going to a country outside the USA or Canada, regardless of your currency, origin of birth, or citizenship, you are still a foreign shipping destination and therefore do not qualify for domestic or international free shipping using USD.

Free shipping to foreign destinations is offered for the currencies we accept, by the guidelines that fit within our ability to provide free shipping for you. If you fall outside of those guidelines you will either not qualify for free shipping, or may have to take additional steps to acquire the ability to get free shipping, like using another form of currency.

Our last response to you pretty well summed up your options:

“Please go to our website and pick the currency that best suits you. Once you have logged in, added items to your cart to purchase and submitted your shipping address, you can change the currency in the upper right hand corner anytime to see what option will give you free shipping. There is no obligation to buy and at anytime, you can delete items from your cart before an actual purchase/transaction is made. Purchasing in USD will only give free shipping to North America (US & Canada). You will have to pick Euros, AUD or GBP to receive free shipping.”

Not all currencies are offered because not all currencies are frequently used, for example, I don’t think that in over 20 years of business we have shipped more than one or two packages to Korea. And, as you pointed out to us, not all currencies can be exchanged due to the various laws of this country and the currency’s native country.

We do the best we can to provide the best services possible to as many people as possible, but we can not take into account all possible situations. We are sorry that you have chosen to live in a country that makes it difficult for us to ship to, but that’s just the way it is, sir. It is not a slight against you, your US citizenship or anything else, it just is what it is. We are not saying that you are a second class person or citizen because you live in a foreign country or you are a US citizen living in a foreign country. Bottom line is, we are simply not able to meet your expectations.

• Like 1

1. Should you start answers with 'I believe' or 'try X' or check and find out what the real answer is?

Can you be more specific? "I believe" and/or "try X" are often the polite way of saying "if you do this, it often resolves the problem". You seem to be painting it as ignorance, when it is, I believe, Southern Manners.

2. Should you assume your international customers are only from Europe or Australia when asking about paying in US dollars?

The overwhelming majority of our English Speaking customers are in the US/Canada, UK, or Australia. In fact, the overwhelming majority (over 90%) of our customers are in one of those areas. It's not meant to be insulting, it's meant to help us get to the heart of the matter.

3. Should you make assumptions about someones nationality? If You are from the USA and I call you Canadian, Mexican or French are you going to be happy? What if you are Irish and I call you British? They aren't exactly racial slurs but you will feel different with each.

As I understand it, you are an American Citizen living in Korea. You are not Korean, but we implied that you were. Our apologies, no offense was intended. As above, the majority of our customers are native to the land they live in. Assuming baseline positions is not trying to be racist, it's done for expedience. Regardless, your nationality, race, or citizenship is irrelevant to our policies, and is not, and never should have been, an issue.

4. Should you charge Americans who can pay in US dollars an extra surcharge? (Is this a statement that Americans should only live in America?)

Wow. Thank you for making a political statement where none was intended. I'm not sure what surcharge you speak of, unless it's the one where you say that in oder to get Free international shipping you have to choose a non-US currency, so there's a surcharge to convert currencies. Your attempt to politicize this part of our shopping cart is not helping, and is in fact rather inflammatory.

I've worked Reaper Customer service for a decade now, and am Reaper's Production Manager, as well as being on the Board of Directors. I'm not just "that guy" (Hi Martin!). I pride myself on defusing volatile customer situations, and making as many customers happy as possible. But comments like this really do not help, and do not make me feel inclined to offer help. If all you have to complain about are design discrepancies, and you want to suggest that because of the way we coded our cart system we're somehow anti-emmigration/anti-immigration, I will be unable to help you in your request. Please do not assign nebulous political or social policies to me, or my staff.

5. Should you charge people who live in countries other than Australia or those who use the Pound or Euro and extra surcharge?

No surcharge is "built-in", other than the currency conversion rate fees we pay to the institutions that handle the money. You pay no more for paying in GBPs than a resident of the UK would pay.
(What does this say about non-westerns?)
Again, I thank you very much NOT to make political or social assumptions about our policies or our employees. Our shopping cart system is neither Our political soapbox, nor your political soapbox. It is a vessel for purchasing of miniatures, and determining the monies necessary to change hands for this transaction.

Having to wait 24 hours between emails/service between what I feel are insults just adds to my annoyance after getting the 3rd email I'm really not sure I want to bother even trying to make an order.

I'm very tired of all this.

Bear in mind the time difference between your location and ours means that we will likely not both be awake/at work at the same time, so there is an inevitable delay in communication. We do not staff a customer service desk 24 hours a day, and are not likely to do so.

Laugh, Reaper Bryan said to email him and I did now you post here. And now Reaper Bryan does. You say

"If all you have to complain about are design discrepancies, and you want to suggest that because of the way we coded our cart system we're somehow anti-emmigration/anti-immigration, I will be unable to help you in your request"

So you are telling me that if in fact the fault is because of a design discrepancy of your site (that targets intentionally or not customers from certain areas) even though it is costing customers and possible customers money you won't fix it.

No surcharge is "built-in", other than the currency conversion rate fees we pay to the institutions that handle the money. You pay no more for paying in GBPs than a resident of the UK would pay.

No we pay no more in GBPs but we have to pay to convert to GBPs! Which we would not have to do if we paid to convert to dollars.

Laugh, Reaper Bryan said to email him and I did now you post here. And now Reaper Bryan does. You say

"If all you have to complain about are design discrepancies, and you want to suggest that because of the way we coded our cart system we're somehow anti-emmigration/anti-immigration, I will be unable to help you in your request"

So you are telling me that if in fact the fault is because of a design discrepancy of your site (that targets intentionally or not customers from certain areas) even though it is costing customers and possible customers money you won't fix it.

No, I said if you're going to politicize our cart system, or try to assign political motive to our cart system, I won't be able to help you.

Ok, I'm typing a response to your e-mail, and came over here to collect data - I see these responses.

I will address your e-mail and these comments separately.

It will take some time to type both however, and I ask your patience.

I assumed it would and emailed you. Then you (as well as Reaper Clark) proceeded to post here instead of taking it off the forums to be resolved from here which is what I thought would be the polite thing to do.

No, I said if you're going to politicize our cart system, or try to assign political motive to our cart system, I won't be able to help you.

If you have a flaw in your design you should be fixing it no matter if you think I'm an butt or not (or if you think I have handled this the wrong way)

If you look through my posts I have said that I didn't think the way you set it up was intentionally political. I said I thought it was an oversight. My first post pointed out appearances. And they are important. In my third post I did say your reps last msg was 'business like and apologetic' but that I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere talking to them.

I did look through your site and contacts you have contacts for 'website', 'fantasy' etc you do not have any for complaints etc. I did not want to email customer support again feeling like I would get the same person so I ended up here. If you had a contact there (I could have overlooked something) I would have sent mail there instead.