Sign in to follow this  
Darknight

Just how many colors do you use?

Like most people who've been painting for a while, I have a LOT of colors - probably over 100 pots (I got the old Citadel Mega Paint Set). But I find myself using very few of them on a regular basis; black, white, a nice woodland green, a royal blue, a silver, bronze and gold, a flesh, a flat brown, a ruddy-brown, a bright red, yellow, flesh and various washes.

Of course, this isn't a topic about minimalist painting - "Can you paint a model with five colors?" - I use other colors as needed, but I just noticed I tend to only use a few colors on a regular basis.

Do other people have the same experience?

I only own 38 colors.

People tend to praise my use of color; a fact of which I'm very proud; truth is I custom create many of my own shades from those 38. At 38 I don't really have to worry about any of them drying up, though at times I can't quite get the right shade and it takes a bit longer than I'd hoped. But as I paint, I'll write down how many drops of which color were used for the base shade and move up and down from that formula as I work.

I'm in no way endorsing having few or tons of colors, or that blending of custom colors is any better than straight out of the bottle; just a personal preference is all.

• Like 1

I'm exactly the opposite of Adrift. I can vouch for his astonishing use of colour, though. But I have eleventy billion colours (317, if you want a real number) and try to use as many as I can.

I was so tempted to count when I looked at that picture you posted. At 317, I'm glad I didn't lol. I think if that much paint were to accidentally tip over you could possibly be buried alive and then we'd miss out on our buglips!!!

And I'm still not done. I've got two orders inbound to fill out my parthas, then another order from HMG to round up the 80 or so Coat D'Arms I don't have, and I've just learned of two stashes of pro paint within a minute of each other.

The only reason I don't have a zillion MSP is because I really don't like dropper bottles.

Back in the 90s I had a ton of Polly S paints because I was afraid of mixing. Now I'm starting to mix my own and I love it, but I'm still weak enough at color theory that I like having a good selection of base paints to work from.

On my current project I think I've used somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen to fifteen paints and will push it to around twenty by completion.

Why do Partha paints smell so good?

And why do they last decades?

I'm envious of your Partha haul. Maybe if I win the lottery...

Surprisingly, these don't have much of an odor. I always thought they did (these are my first partha paints in some time).

I'm aiming to stockpile a minimum of 4 of each partha if I can. Extras beyond that I might find it in my black goblin heart to break you off a piece. Gratis, even, 'cause you're a pretty cool guy. And also a green goblin.

I've also discovered, to my extreme shock, that partha paints are hands-down the best layering paints EVER. They even beat the MSPs. I never used layering back when parthas were common, and the pictures you'd see in catalogs wouldn't indicate it, but holy macaroni today's layering - even with sleep deprivation and a severe case of the crankies (I snapped a kolinsky in half) - was the most sublime joy I've had in a while.

ETA: I'm actively hunting partha paints now, that's why I suspect I may wind up with extras in the future. I'm calling in every favour, debt, and blood oath I've got to track down more of these.

• Like 3

I only ever paint at Paint Club, so I have all the colors. (Well, not literally.)

I tend to use quite a few since I can just grab entire triads and be fairly lazy about figuring out my own shadows and highlights. I didn't realize just how many different shades ended up on a single figure until a few weeks ago. I was painting "Cobra" the modern ninja for my now almost complete GI-Joe homage game. I decided he'd be blue, and his equipment would be grey, except for some green goggles.

Total number of bottles of paint needed to paint a figure blue and gray with just a little green? Seven.

If I was less lazy, there'd be fewer of course. I could do highlights and shadows myself, and get quite a bit of use out of the clear colors for making custom colors, but I was still surprised by just how many individual hues appear on even the simplest of minis.

David G.

I have +/- 175 MS colors and I've used 25-30 of them in recent memory. Black, white, linen, PP walnut, chestnut and buckskin, rust and burnt orange, PP troll green, PP desert tan, the ocean triad, various flesh tones, pale indigo and one of the darker purples, cloudy grey, ash grey, earth brown, blood red, phoenix red and one of the bright yellows....

I don't mix colors any more. I used to a lot then I started having the problem of coming back to a figure a week or a month later (or having to repair damage) and having no idea how to get that mix again. Even writing it down didn't help as the color was never quite right the second time. With a zillion bottles to pick from I can have nearly any color I want and it will always match every time.

Why do Partha paints smell so good?

And why do they last decades?

I'm envious of your Partha haul. Maybe if I win the lottery...

Surprisingly, these don't have much of an odor. I always thought they did (these are my first partha paints in some time).

I'm aiming to stockpile a minimum of 4 of each partha if I can. Extras beyond that I might find it in my black goblin heart to break you off a piece. Gratis, even, 'cause you're a pretty cool guy. And also a green goblin.

I've also discovered, to my extreme shock, that partha paints are hands-down the best layering paints EVER. They even beat the MSPs. I never used layering back when parthas were common, and the pictures you'd see in catalogs wouldn't indicate it, but holy macaroni today's layering - even with sleep deprivation and a severe case of the crankies (I snapped a kolinsky in half) - was the most sublime joy I've had in a while.

ETA: I'm actively hunting partha paints now, that's why I suspect I may wind up with extras in the future. I'm calling in every favour, debt, and blood oath I've got to track down more of these.

Yeah, it's funny I still have many old Partha paints in bottles and in many cases they're still usable. The "smell" can be pleasant but sometimes it means the paints are going bad - I've had bottles get mold in them! Seriously. Had to toss a few back in the day,

Hmmm, when I painted with them, though, they were usually very grainy when layering. It's why I switched first to Vallejo, and then Reaper MSP.

Also, Iron Wind Metals used to sell some of the old Partha paint colors, but I think they're dq'd now... You may still be able to find them at obscure stores, cons, etc. Whatever bottles you get smear some petroleum jelly on the threads on the bottle. This will help keep the bottles from leaking air past the threads and extend the life of your paints.

Had to toss a few back in the day, Hmmm, when I painted with them, though, they were usually very grainy when layering. It's why I switched first to Vallejo, and then Reaper MSP.

Ditto.

As I work through my Vallejo paints and they need replacing I'm slowly swapping out for Reaper MSP. It's smooth like butta.