KS new sculpts

ReaperClark

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Corporea, take a look back just a bit at the insults and defense of the flat top helmet. ^_^

doh- just checked. curses! :blush:

'Sokay, i missed it too.. was wondering why every one was blagging on flat tops. ^_^

Don't insult the flat top

dolph-lundgren-flat-top-rocky.jpg

I do have some problems with the sword - but that is an easy, easy fix.

The Auld Grump

If I were to pick one thing to think was off, it would be his forward foot. It's sideways, instead of pointed towards his opponent, which would seem more natural. But that is a bit of a minor detail, not really something that bothers me.

Given the fantasy nature of the thing, I accept the sword despite its absurdity. And the left foot is actually something I like about the pose; it gives me two scenarios for his movement: A) he was standing guard, sword over his shoulder, and noticed some movement below and to his left, and he's now sculpted in mid-swing, readying his weapon but before his foot has to pivot; or B)he's in a fight with multiple attackers, having just felled a foe to his right, and he's now turning from right to left to attack a new enemy there, again sculpted in mid-movement before his whole body pivots. For a body sow low-slung and bulky, his feet are likely to plant and stay in place as long as possible, so it makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Like I said, it's not a bother to me, it just seemed less natural, but it does have it's place and explanations. I was imagining him planted firmly on the ground and a swift turn of the hips and a swing from the shoulder in a wide arc would explain his foot position perfectly. Personally, I love the sculpt. Probably more than I should considering I didn't get it with my pledge. This one I will 100% be buying when it hits retail!

And as for the helmet, I am going to sculpt on a little seat and put his prized teddy or favorite toy in it. I like my giants to have a softer side. :;):

As per foot position, he is actually really close to your classical martial arts "Horse Stance." I just assume he's one extremely well trained giant. For his attack angle he is protecting his knee and his groin (the whole purpose of the stance) and since his opponents are very likely to be smaller than him, this is *exactly* what he wants to be protecting. We all know how dwarves like to break knees and crunch giants' baby-makers.

Stance is one common thing that I wish was more focused on especially in oriental themed miniatures. As a professional martial artist I can tell you all the super tiny details are the difference between a great fighter and broken bones. Alas I just have to let it be, I realize that what looks cool and what others perceive as a good stance are just a far cry from actual combat usage.

I was able to still have my RPM reopened and made some additions. Kit totally rocks!!! Had an idea for a Kaladrax diorama and needed a 4th model...and I initially passed on Cthuhlu, but succumbed to the madness. Not to mention the incoming undead jawa army....

• Like 3