50206 Professor Kraken

JackMann

I've completed another mini, this time everyone's favorite dapper mind flayer, Professor Kraken.

krakenfront_zps3f5008e1.jpg

Right now, he's just loosely slotted into the base he came from. I'm considering a few options for a permanent base. I may get a pre-sculpted base and place him on there. Alternately, I may get some green stuff and try to sculpt a Victorian street, or even a dirt path for him to be running down.

krakenleft_zpsf5aab19b.jpg

I tried a lot of experimenting with shading and highlighting on this mini. The results are... a little less than subtle, but I think they work, at least for tabletop.

krakenright_zps9177bfc9.jpg

The bottom of the pants got an extra treatment of Agrax Earthshade, with a little Walnut Brown to darken them. I wanted to make it look like he'd been running down a dirty street. The shoes (already walnut brown) got a little Intense Brown mud on them.

• Like 3

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some luck with Applebarrel metallic green for a glossy Mythos look. I'd also add a metallic red for the eye.

I *hate* doing clothes, so lemme know how you painted his outfit!

I this mini would be GREAT in a GURPS Chronoscope "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" anti-hero campaign. Professor Kraken would be a deranged Victorian mad-scientist ("BLAST YOU! Isn't it OBVIOUS???") whose devices would be based on principles of Mythos science. PK would also play off the German Cybergorilla from the Reaper KS! ("INSANE am I? INSANE? When I blast those heathen scoundrels with my blue diamond tesseract-powered f'thagn-inator, you'll see how insane I am!")

The overcoat and pants were done in Intense Brown. I did highlights by mixing in a little white. Shadows were done by adding some black ink and making a wash of it, with a little brown liner in the deepest shadows. The vest was done in Walnut Brown, with a very thinned gray for the highlights. Then I went over the bottom of his pants with Agrax Earthshade and some more Walnut Brown, to give them that dirty look. The rest were done in basic colors, no shading or highlighting.

Okay, finally got him based. I was waiting to get some realistic water in. I have to say, I like the way it came out.

krakenfront.jpg

krakenfrontabove.jpg

krakenback.jpg

krakenbackabove.jpg

krakenright.jpg

krakenrightabove.jpg

krakenleft.jpg

krakenleftabove.jpg

I painted the curb in Rainy Gray with Agrax Earthshade over it. The moss was done in Leaf Green. Down below, I used several different mixes of Rainy Ray, Carnage Red, Blackened Brown, and Walnut Brown to get the cobblestones. The vines are done in a mix of Leaf Green and the mystery shade of green Reaper tossed into a couple of my packages. I then applied some realistic water over it to make it look like water running over the cobblestones. I think it turned out decently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. It's a 40mm Victorian base from Malifaux.

• Like 4