buglips*the*goblin

The Great Community Ogre Adventure (official WIP thread)

post-3313-0-58979300-1349381709_thumb.jpg

So he creeps towards completion. This is the stage I hate the most, and is often where I'll start a new mini and leave this one "for later" (which means the shelf of shame for 8-10 months before being paroled and finished).

I'm trying to break that habit.

Anyway, he's close now. He needs some dullcote before I go in to finish off the highlights. I'm going to be twisting him around a lot to get at all of those, and don't want to rub off what's already done. It's too wet for dullcoating today, but tomorrow looks nice. Next update he should be finished, and then I'll also show a picture of his back and what I did for his scar/tattoo/scartoo.

I highlighted his blues, did the gem, highlighted his club, painted his wee rope, and gave the base some broccoflage. This looks less horrible in person than in the pic, and creates a vaguely natural-looking appearance that blends by eye and focuses attention on him.

That's my theory anyway. Or excuse.

• Like 11

Finally getting to the end of this one! In these photos I have all the drybrushing on the ogre done up and just waiting for it to dry so that all the little detail work can be completed.

post-8280-0-95311100-1349472445_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-75645400-1349472447_thumb.jpg

After waiting a while for it to dry I finished up the detail works and the basing for the miniature. This was a wonderful experience to work with. I hope that we are able to set up more group WIP in the future. Have fun and enjoy those miniatures.

post-8280-0-44140500-1349472449_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-98958000-1349472450_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I really lost track of what colors I used in the last couple of sessions. I basically did everything except the toe nails and dark lining here (If you really want to know what colors I used for everything I can figure it out). I also did all of the shaded metallics this week:

post-140-0-91344300-1349491945.jpg

post-140-0-60701200-1349491946.jpg

Tonight, I also finished the nails and did all the dark lining, as follows:

post-140-0-44194800-1349491957.jpg

post-140-0-07239500-1349491958.jpg

So all I have left is to touch up a few areas where I got a bit heavy during dark lining and then base it. My next post will likely be in the show-off; good thing too because I really need to get back to sculpting.

Have a good night,

Andy

• Like 7

Went over all the metal with a mix of Boltgun Metal and Nurgling Green, then added some Chainmail and a little more Nurgling Green for the main layer. I then highlighted with Mithril Silver and Nurgling Green followed by Mithril Silver on it's own.

NocCOgWIP016.jpg

I then basecoated the Mammoth with Regal Blue. It was then painted Festering Blue then highlighted with Ultramarines Blue then Ultramarines Blue with Skull White. The tusks were Bleached Bone followed by Skull White.

Extreme Mammoth closeup!!

NocCOgWIP017.jpg

• Like 5

Continuing the Skin adventure.

At this stage I have brought the skin back up to the midtone, so all the shadows are finished now and the next stage is adding highlights. You will notice that my handling of the miniature as I paint it (and my children randomly grabbing it) has rubbed some paint off high points at this stage I'm not worried about this at all as when I start working on those areas proper I will be reapplying the base colour - it is however why the club is the last thing I will paint :)

Blue/Bronzed Skin Wash - I mixed Brilliant Blue and Bronzed Skin about 50/50 and thinned down to coloured water. This was then brushed into the recesses and a little up over the higher areas. Under the higher chest areas on the front it was applied liberally.

post-7660-0-03797700-1349571719_thumb.jpg

The next step was bringing the flesh back up to bronzed skin on the higher points.

This was done with straight bronzed skin mixed 50/50 with water. This thin paint is then brushed in thin coats over the higher areas in decreasing amounts until it has built a solid consistent colour across the higher regions of the model. This midtone will provide the basis for building highlights onto the model.

post-7660-0-04384400-1349571730_thumb.jpg

At this point I got out a small LED flash light and held it directly above the model to see where the highlights will actually fall, as not all of the points that have been brought back to the midtone are going to get a full highlight. In general the highest sides of the model will get a higlight and lower areas will miss out.

• Like 6

And now with the first layer of highlight. This is 75/25 Bronzed Skin/Maiden Flesh. You will notice that because it is thinned that it is brighter than that might suggest but this isn't a problem.

For Wiley notice the high degree of contrast ;)

post-7660-0-43715000-1349579682_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-96520400-1349579695_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

And the skin is done.

First I went through and added a pure maiden flesh highlight, at which stage it became apparent that the transition from the shadows through to the highlight was too dramatic.

post-7660-0-42679400-1349603136_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-12423700-1349605303_thumb.jpg

At that point I grabbed the bronzed skin and thinned it right down so that it was more water than bronzed skin. I thin washed this over the mini in stages, using a second dry brush to lift the bronzed skin puddles from the recesses. This toned the transition down, but I wanted to smooth it further so with bronzed skin diluted to the consistency of a normal wash I went through and glazed all the skin except the highest highlights with this. At this stage it became clear that some of the shadows were still too deep so I mixed Brilliant Blue with Bronzed Skin to make a shadow again, this was just done by eye, but with more bronzed skin this time. This was then thinned to make it flow smoothly and painted directly into the shadows I wanted to lighten.

With this done I came back and touched up the highlights with Maiden Flesh.

Then I mixed Violet Shadow with Maiden Flesh to make a pink and painted the nipple and the various nails. Then I used Red Shadow thinned to water consistency to wash the nails and inside the mouth and put some shadows on the nipple. Then using unthinned Red Shadow I outlined the nipple, then used thinned maiden flesh in a layers over the line around the nipple and on its highlights.

I then used Red Shadow and Maiden Flesh to make a blend up the tusks.

post-7660-0-03831000-1349605321_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-40453500-1349605332_thumb.jpg

Eyebrows and leg hair will be done when I work on the beard.

With that I'm done for the day...mostly due to a black out and the need to do some work when/if the power comes back on.

• Like 4

Late to the party, but now that the Drone is done, here we go. My goal with this project is to both get practice on a Bones mini and improve my speed. I won't be going for the most elegant job here (not that I'm capable, I guess I mean I won't be spending much time on things). Got some of the base coat down last night:

WIP_Ogre_3.JPG

WIP_Ogre_4.JPG

Playing on a variation of my Gnoll project, I want to try and limit myself to various browns. Since I imagine the Ogres as a primitive bunch, I'm going to put as little metal on the mini as I can manage. So lots of leather tones, this should prove to be quite the workout and another informative mini project/lesson.

• Like 3

how is everyone removing the lines on there bones?

I gave up on it. Mold lines all over him and I started to destroy the mini when I tried cleaning them. I'm hoping the KS Bones comes cleaner than my Ogre did.

I use an engraving pen to remove the vast majority. The one on the cuff was tough, but I ground it away without destroying the gem, so I was pretty pleased. It can get a bit messy with fuzzies, but I use a pretty firm touch with it to get the line, and then a very light touch to remove the fuzzies and that works pretty well

• Like 1

I gave up on it. Mold lines all over him and I started to destroy the mini when I tried cleaning them. I'm hoping the KS Bones comes cleaner than my Ogre did.

i have given up on them as well, i have several bones minis that i have attempted so far, and this one is the worse so far with the "fuzzy" residue, and not just cutting away pieces of the mini.

x-acto knife and putty for the most part, wilful ignorance on the ones that are out of easy sight