buglips*the*goblin

The Great Community Ogre Adventure (official WIP thread)

The Ogre has been Dipped, and some missing bits touched up. Needs matte, and some highlights... and the gem. That's gonna be fun. :-)

post-8164-0-50013400-1350007724_thumb.jpg

post-8164-0-02010500-1350007793_thumb.jpg

post-8164-0-90532700-1350007814_thumb.jpg

post-8164-0-46903300-1350007839_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I'm gonna call this guy finished. There's plenty more I can do if I want to keep picking at him, but I'm a little sick of him looking at me from the table with his beady ogre eyes.

I painted the tribal mark Ral Partha Sembia Red (which is not very red) and then gave it a little wash of Reaper Aged Red Brick to make it look a bit scabby.

post-3313-0-65412600-1350013840_thumb.jpg

post-3313-0-95006000-1350013854_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Talae; It's hard to tell, but maybe a tad more flow improver in your wash, depending on how you want the wash to behave; just a guess. You might use a very brown or very purple red to shade the pouch to tone it down a touch, if you want. Maybe a grey, bone, or light tan drybrush over the hides? Love your work, anyhow.

Last Knight; if the guy's meant to be very dark, ignore me, but you might get a faster result out of the Dip method if you use a basecoat at least one step brighter than what you want. I tend to find that going back for highlights is a pain in the butt and ruins some of the smooth blending effect from the dip, but my dip experience is VERY limited. From back in the day when Tamiya matte varnish plus a drop of Tamiya matt black was a big secret :P

• Like 2

Talae; It's hard to tell, but maybe a tad more flow improver in your wash, depending on how you want the wash to behave; just a guess. You might use a very brown or very purple red to shade the pouch to tone it down a touch, if you want. Maybe a grey, bone, or light tan drybrush over the hides? Love your work, anyhow.

Thanks! I will think it over. At this point I am tempted to start a different mini, but maybe I should work on this one some more to hone some skills.

Last Knight; if the guy's meant to be very dark, ignore me, but you might get a faster result out of the Dip method if you use a basecoat at least one step brighter than what you want. I tend to find that going back for highlights is a pain in the butt and ruins some of the smooth blending effect from the dip, but my dip experience is VERY limited. From back in the day when Tamiya matte varnish plus a drop of Tamiya matt black was a big secret :P

I was going for darker skin, that's why I went with Idrian flesh to start with, but I might have gone a smidgin lighter. :) Army Painter recommends basecoat-dip-matte-highlight, though.

I loved the idea several people on this thread have of painting the Ogre as a frost or snow blue ogre, kind of like a smaller version of a frost giant. I'm running Cairn of the Winter King for my D&D player group now so I actually plan to use this mini in next weekend's game. Here are pics of the first stage of painting the ogre.

post-8224-0-41253600-1350244467_thumb.jpg

post-8224-0-43248300-1350244489_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Ok minor update.

I've now touched up the black and brown on the miniature and started working on the green. At the time of these photos the green is essentially back to the midtone. My next step is to bring the green up to a highlight and perhaps give it a glaze or wash of purple to tighten the shadow up and smooth transitions.

I haven't done anything with the metal or the shoulder marking at this stage other than the base coats to mark the colours I intend them to be when he is finished.

Being back at work is slowing me down quite a bit (and this green is driving me crazy so don't be surprised if it isn't finished next update and I've done something else entirely :) ).

post-7660-0-20502000-1350306374_thumb.jpg

post-7660-0-59717100-1350306380_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I disagree with what you said.

OC, thanks for providing more proof of this. :;):

I've done the pelts, the skirt and the wrappings, more or less. This one is really bringing home the fact that it's my third mini. Struggling so much on simple things, and it takes me forever and looks crappy. Yay! :) Pics at some point, got sucked into watching football yesterday.

I finally caught up with my non-miniatures life after my vacation and made some real progress painting in the details on my Ogre. My week is going to be very busy, but I ought to be able to finish up in relatively short order.

36Status.jpg

I decided to copy several of the other painters in this thread and paint the rough (scarred?) patch on his left shin as skin. The process is not 100% done in this photo, but it will be in the next picture. Obviously, I also need to paint the mammoth detail on his armor plate. I'm currently thinking that I will go with a lighter brown color so it doesn't blend into the bronze too much, but I am open to suggestions.

@last knight: I like how your skin tone is coming out, but your photos are pretty dark. Any chance you can get us a brighter picture for us to enjoy?

• Like 12

klarg1: I don't think that's scarring on his shin, I think he has very hairy legs.

• Like 1

@last knight: I like how your skin tone is coming out, but your photos are pretty dark. Any chance you can get us a brighter picture for us to enjoy?

Thanks! I should really get back to him...

I'll take him out in the sunlight tomorrow and illuminate all his flaws, er, glory. :-)

klarg1: I don't think that's scarring on his shin, I think he has very hairy legs.

Yeah, that was my initial thought too, but it's very odd texture for hair. I'm not quite sure how to paint it in a way that would look right. (The fact that there is a tiny bit visible on the other leg means that you are probably right.)

Klarg, that one is my favorite so far. You really nailed the skin tone and overall ogrey look, menacing and brutal.