The Great Community Ogre Adventure (official WIP thread)

I think I'm pretty much done, just have to paint the base. It's got a layer of watered-down white glue drying on it now, holding down all the dirt and stuff I put on there. Pretty pleased with how the Bones worked out. Holds paint really well, once it's on there.

2012-09-30205916.jpg

2012-09-30205945.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-8280-0-53863200-1349073629_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-99757500-1349073630_thumb.jpg

So I finally got to work on this ogre chieftan. He was looking a bit unhappy so i gave him a pointy hat and a christmassy type bag to carry into town. Somewhere in the forums under the fiction, poetry, ect. there is a holiday campaign set forth by Bali. I was going to use this guy as a stand in for some more fun in the campaign.

post-8280-0-25786300-1349073696_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-95421800-1349073697_thumb.jpg

I used apple barrel colors from wal-mart. Blue for the skin, and dark red for the cloth, leather, and wood.

• Like 6

The leather has all been done.

I went over it all in Scorched Brown first followed by a layer of Scorched Brown and Dark Flesh.

I then had three layers of highlights, Dark Flesh, Dark Flesh and Skrag Brown and finally Skrag Brown,

All the leather was then washed with Chestnut Brown

Finally I mixed togher Dark Brown, Skrag Brown, Fortress Grey, Dark Angels Green and Nurgling Green until I got the colour I wanted (A greyish greeny brown obviously) and stippled on to make the leather look a bit old and worn. The brush I used is a very old 3/0 that I'd cut the bristles off of so there's only about a millimetre left.

NocCOgWIP015.jpg

• Like 3

Since nobody seems to bother with Rule #2 of the OP, and since this thread is updating slower than originally anticipated, then people might as well put their WIP-related comments in here. I'll consider this one of those kinks we planned to work out, and clearly the options are to either ask for special moderation to move posts (which I'd rather not do) or just let people follow their instincts and post comments directly in here.

But no chit chat, keep it on topic. If it turns out to be a problem (drowning out people posting pictures) then I'll ask to have non-WIP-participant posts moved to the other thread.

I finished all of the base colors for the ogre. his loin clothing, shoulder pad, and facial hairs being most prominent.

post-8280-0-38558200-1349159285_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-27897500-1349159287_thumb.jpg

Then later on went back to do some drybrushing. Either I am being a little too rough with the drybrushing or the bones does not like apple barrel paints as I had to re-apply some of the earlier paint. It seemed that the drybrushing I normally use on metal models tends to take back some of the paint and starts to show the unpainted white of the basic bones model. minor issues though.

post-8280-0-99318100-1349159288_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-59310100-1349159290_thumb.jpg

Thanks and enjoy. maybe next time I will have all of the initial drybrushing done and will be ready for the second level of drybrushing.

• Like 3

Today I managed to:

1. get him out of the package.
  2. attempt to remove some of the mold lines.
  3. prime over where I attempted to remove some of the mold lines
  4. reorganize my craft desk- changing it from primarily a beading desk to a painting desk. (though I still need it to be a beading desk)
  5. rewire my work lamp.

Ya'll don't want to see all those steps do you?? If so I'll have to make step #6 be "locate my camera from camping this past weekend" :down:

post-3313-0-19782100-1349279953_thumb.jpg

It might not look like a lot's changed, but a lot of work's been done. Most of it clean-up. I added some armor gray into his beard, and I might do the same for his eyebrows. I gave his hairy body bits a very thin wash of dragon black, and also did the same for his nails to grime them up a little before I paint them. Probably use caucasian for that, not sure. I gave his club a wash of coat d'arms brown ink, thinned, in preparation for highlights. I'll have to repeat this for the very top of the club when I do that part dead last.

His bandages got a highlight of reaper ivory. Doesn't show so well in the pic, but it's there and it's a good blend of highlight + grime, better than my original linen white plan. He's got a nice rosy nipple now, 50/50 antique rose and dark highlight. The teeth also got a highlight of ivory, and this will be topped off with linen white or white leather later.

The next major step will be his pouch, satchel, and belts. After that it's highlight the blues, paint the gem (I do like the red, after all), touch-ups and he's ready to go to battle.

• Like 6

I finished all of the base colors for the ogre. his loin clothing, shoulder pad, and facial hairs being most prominent.

post-8280-0-38558200-1349159285_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-27897500-1349159287_thumb.jpg

Then later on went back to do some drybrushing. Either I am being a little too rough with the drybrushing or the bones does not like apple barrel paints as I had to re-apply some of the earlier paint. It seemed that the drybrushing I normally use on metal models tends to take back some of the paint and starts to show the unpainted white of the basic bones model. minor issues though.

post-8280-0-99318100-1349159288_thumb.jpgpost-8280-0-59310100-1349159290_thumb.jpg

Thanks and enjoy. maybe next time I will have all of the initial drybrushing done and will be ready for the second level of drybrushing.

only thing i can think of is where brainy is. and awesome work
  • Like 1