This is what we call a 'learning experience'.

Jen

Truth is the only things I didn't care as much for were the things you pointed out where there was a lack of contrast, and unless you were able to do something like change the leather to brown then I don't know what else you could have done better. With having the colors chosen for you, I think it turned out great.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cloth is great, the NMM on the sword is fantastic!

What red is that? The front of the shield is incredible! I can never get a rich solid red like that, and the stark black charge looks like a decal, it's done so well!

The red I used is Vallejo Model Color Carmine Red (70908). My bottle was a little hard to work with, just so you know. The stuff had a very slick, glossy surface to it, so layering on top of it was tricky.

The design on the shield looks like a decal because it is one. I'm not that good with freehand. :devil:

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Lots of helpful and encouraging feedback.

I think the cloak is my favorite part so just goes to show you how we all have different eyes, so just trust your own.

If I had a critique is that, while the wolf head looks awesome, the face of the shield looks flat. Did all the highlighting and shading on everything else, and even including the nmm trim of the shield, but the face of the shield none, looks off.

This is funny. The shield is actually one of my favorite parts. It is flat, after all...

Look at the detail work on the NMM on the shield and then it has this flat featureless red plane. The decal as far as I can tell was done well, but a vertical surface in zenithal lighting will demonstrate a bit of a gradient to a viewer. Therefore near the top of the shield it would look like some subtle shadows were there.

I'm reasonably happy with the skin, hair, and white cloth, though more contrast between the hair and cloth might have been better.

Very nice work!

In the view of her right side, I see more of the strawberry blonde (orange tone) in the hair, which distinguishes it well from the cloth. The distinction isn't as strong, though, in the other views, where those strong reds and blacks overwhelm the nice subtlety in the hair and cloth. How about playing it up by adding another shadow to the hair with more of an orange-brown/auburn, and more shading to the cloth with a duller brown-tan?

Derek

pretty cool !! I have a question..how do you get the shine on the sword ? What colors annd techniques are you using to create the shining effect ??

The technique is called non-metallic metal, or NMM. For how I did it, if you poke around these boards and other similar places on the internet you will find many tutorials on the technique, all of which will explain it better than I can! I can tell you what colors I used, though: RMS Cloudy Gray for the base color, Misty Gray and then White for the highlights, and Faded Black for the shadows.

• Like 1