Rahl, Duke of Pain (slight modification)

Adrift

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some shots of the copper I finished last night. I'm sorry that I didn't do the dark shading shots, then the light shading shots; it was 0100 and I was in the zone. The front shot showing the codpiece came out blurry so I'm not sure what happened with the camera focus there.

Next up will be his saw like blue metal blade, then the standard steel blade and arm/shoulder armor plates.

post-7416-0-53358700-1350047100.jpg

post-7416-0-79957400-1350047103.jpg

post-7416-0-38797700-1350047108.jpg

• Like 1

Adrift its look awesome. The Photos have been good. I wish I could see the steps on the NMM better, but I understand what you doing with your description.

Great WIP

Honestly, I think the only way to get the full on tutorial would be some kind of video, and I'm just not sure I'm up for that lol.

And thus did I begin and complete the cleaver last night. The 4 pictures below show how I darkened areas on the blade which receive less light in the first 2 pictures. The 3rd picture shows how I painted/chose how my gleam was going to run across the blade (note that I then had to include a gleam running across the copper band as well), and the final picture shows successive layers of very thin blending I worked on across that gleam.

NMM is just like any other shading and highlighting except for a couple details. First, you're having to obey the way that light interacts with a metallic surface, rather than just some clothes or skin. Second, you have to do a final 'hot' highlight of white (or near white) along any hard edges that would receive direct lighting. For instance, the teeth of the saw blade receive direct light in one direction, and those are the edges that I chose to give this highlight to.

With NMM, I find that selecting the particular gleam that is going to run across your metallic surfaces to be the most difficult part. With a circular surface like a metallic stud, that's pretty simple. But a larger flat-ish surface like a blade quite literally challenges you to think more along the lines of a freehand painter. Every time I do a blade I imagine a cartoon show where a flash of light plays across the blade, and try to emulate that flash.

After successively highlighting up my gleam with very thin layers of ever-brighter paints I had 2 patches of very dark areas on the blade which were too brightly contrasted. To solve this problem, I remade the color I originally used to set up my blade gleam, and then watered it down a ton. I then applied this thinned paint to the majority of those 2 dark patches and you can see the result.

post-7416-0-74882500-1350126574.jpg

post-7416-0-24335000-1350126576.jpg

post-7416-0-90825300-1350126577.jpg

post-7416-0-30290200-1350126580.jpg

• Like 1

I will give 99% ignorant advice here...looks like it might call for a final dark shade in the very deep of the blade (in the L of the gold quillon-thingy). Also a bit of the same dark shade right up against the curvy edge highlight, to pop it.

I've never done nmm so feel free to point out how wrong I am. :)

These photos show some of the work I started this evening. I started by working the dark blue around his waist, on his scabbard, sheathed hilt, drawn sword hilt and under the implements.

That dark blue sword scabbard looks stunning, specialty over the aqua color coat. Excellent color choice!

And, that NMM copper is contrasting nicely with the shiny blade too.