Winning my battle with metallic paints

psyberwolfe1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a TMM tutorial on Massive Voodoo, and the author uses water, but recommended Vallejo Air Model paints.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/02/tutorial-painting-true-metallic-metal.html

However, the Dakka Dakka folks have their comments about these paints, including thinning with Liquitex Airbrush Medium for airbrush use, and that Silver is their only "good" color.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/348430.page

Anyway, also went with the Liquitex Airbrush medium on DickBlick on the 17th!

Thanks for the tips!

Hi and thanks to the OP, as this is really helpful!! I have the same problem with RMS true metallics, hate that i need to use the paint straight from the bottle and even then, it has issues. I cant get a liquitex airbrush medium, but i have vallejo´s Airbrush Thinner, and also thinner medium (the first have the consistency of water, also is transparent, the second seems a little thicker and also is white), i have tried the airbrush thinner and it makes the paint really watery, even less than a drop tends to ruin the paint. Any advice if i want to have the same result as with the liquitex thinner medium? Thanks for the help :)

Hmm... I have trouble with metallics and hate to use them, and I have Liquitex Airbrush Medium that I use all the time... why didn't I think of trying them together yet?

I've found that the Liquitex Airbrush Medium will tend to make Reaper MSP glossy, but that might be a plus for metallics.

Dosani: To prevent the airbrush medium from making the paint too thin for use, I put a drop or two of the medium on my pallete away from the paint, then add it to the paint in small amounts with a paint brush. That allows me to wick off excess medium -- essentially wetting the brush with the medium before loading with the paint.

• Like 1

Thanks Grumpy Cave Bear! will do this, although i am using the vallejo medium thinner instead of the airbrush medium , as the later tends to dilute the paint too much, even in vallejo faq it says that. Thanks for the advice, will do :)

• Like 1