Clockwork Dragon Extra Parts

Planeflake

I read a fair bit about the manufacture of miniatures. It has heightened my respect for everyone in the process. Coming up with concepts that inspire great minis is a skill. Making a miniature at all, let alone to the insanely great standards of modern miniatures, is a miracle. And then taking all that and making molten metal flow into it smoothly, evenly, leaving no voids? But hey, what about the mold-making! That's amazing too!

Yeah I kinda love miniatures. The more you learn about them (Sculpted into gunk the consistency of chewing gum, at actual production size? NO FREAKING WAY!) the more awesome they are. But then, lots of things are like that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've the Sedition Wars problem with Red Box, Reaper and to some extent Bombshell as well.

People just don't seem to get that concept is just that. Now I can accept legitimate criticism of a scult for technical reasons (eg misproportioned), but "it doesn't exactly match the concept" I cannot accept.

The worst thing is this sort of behaviour results in companies taking the best course; they say nothing. Better to be criticised for saying nothing than to have hate filled ranting for doing something where the person will never be satisfied because their argument is based on their subjective opinion about the quality of something they've seen a photo of

Ya it's all about sculpts not looking like the concept art. From what I understand the Sedition wars firestorm was started partly because the sculptor took some artistic license on top of having to make the sculpt castable and CMON realized they were going to have legal troubles because they sold people the crew of the TV firefly and didn't want to get sued (which is why I suspect they made the change) so instead of making a character from that show they changed the figure in a few significant ways to make it less infringement-y. So basically you've also had to add Firefly fans to the crapstorm that hit.

Scratch that. Just found some more info and it's the lady with the wrench everyone was upset about.

Several mini kickstarters have revealed the amount people don't understand about the artistic process of creating minis. I love seeing the process, but I can understand why folks like the McVeys have stopped showing greens and probably won't be showing concept art in the future.

That's a shame. I find it very difficult to put the money up for models I can't see, at least concept art, no matter the company or artist.

I wants one in metal.

I wants one in metal.

I wants one in metal.

I've paid considerably more over $100 for things less awesome than this.

I wants one in metal.

I wants one in metal.

i wants one in metal.

Awww...too bad, so sad. You didn't click the heels of your Stanky Shoes together when you said that. No metal Wyrmgear for joo!

:devil:

Maybe just pin the tail from the side and make the jutting pin tip look like part of the tail?

I bet you could segment out the tail with sections of stiffened guitar string and shape it pretty much any way you'd want. Might get a bit long, but then that might be cool, too.

If you want to understand the creative sculpting process better, get some green stuff and give it a try. Even small modifications are quite the challenge. It took me 2 hours to get a proper forked tongue added to the Rahl miniature I'm painting at present. 2 HOURS! But I won in the end.

• Like 1

Several mini kickstarters have revealed the amount people don't understand about the artistic process of creating minis. I love seeing the process, but I can understand why folks like the McVeys have stopped showing greens and probably won't be showing concept art in the future.

Well, as someone who entered this KS as a boardgamer, I did do my KS business research and expected delays, but didn't even think of the miniatures creation process. With many backers being n00bs (and given the complaints), in hindsight, some sort of introduction to the miniatures design process would have helped.

Also, before the clockwork, pretty much all the greenstuff mini's looked *REALLY* good, even the controversial Storm Giantess. Maybe it's the photos, but the clockwork lacks detail by comparison. If the clockwork really doesn't have as many details as the other sculpts, I have a feeling the sculpts will be rushed for the KS and the *other* concept art pieces won't look good, either.

Myself, I like to see what a miniature looks painted (at the tabletop level) before making a decision. Indeed, I think the pics of the miniatures in the KS didn't do justice at how detailed these miniatures are, or how large they were, even with the "size comparison" figure.

EDIT: I'm far better sticking bits of fake steampunk crap to a dragon than sculpting greenstuff, so if the clockwork is my first mod, so be it! :D

That is a shame. I know that I don't know a lick about the artistic process of creating miniatures, but I would really like to learn. The more I learn about an endeavor, the more I appreciate the results.

If you want to understand the creative sculpting process better, get some green stuff and give it a try. Even small modifications are quite the challenge. It took me 2 hours to get a proper forked tongue added to the Rahl miniature I'm painting at present. 2 HOURS! But I won in the end.

I have used milliput, green stuff and magic sculpt to fill holes in, modify and create miniatures. I have watched a couple of video tutorials from Miniature Mentors on sculpting. I still "don't know a lick about the artistic process of creating miniatures, but I would really like to learn." The more exposure I have, the more there is to learn. The companies that are asking for money to help create miniatures have an opportunity to teach a larger audience about all that goes into taking a thought through concept art, sculpting and molding a miniature.

It seems to me that Kickstarter can also become a way to alienate a new batch of customers unless steps are taken to manage expectations. Reaper's real strength in their own Kickstarter was how they managed expectations of a very diverse crowd. There have been a couple of exceptions, but given that the company is still conducting the usual day to day business as well, it is easy to understand and forgive. The percentage of people that expressed an opinion that was not positive about the Clockwork sculpt was a very small. And none of those were inflammatory. I think this is a testament to how well Reaper has managed the expectations of those new to the hobby through those with a great deal of experience.

• Like 2

As long as the bones models will adhere to green stuff I can add in any details I want. There are many times I have bought models where I had to file off unwanted details just to customize them to my desired look. My meager sculpting skills are adequate to modifying an existing miniature to suit my needs. Now if I could only paint better.

I prefer the clockwork dragon in it's out of the box and well oiled glory.

So far, I have liked all the concept art to green interpretations until I saw the clockwork. It appears to be significantly less detailed and not what I would have anticipated based upon the previous sculpts.

the white parts are not finished yet