Clockwork Dragon Extra Parts

Planeflake

So far, I have liked all the concept art to green interpretations until I saw the clockwork. It appears to be significantly less detailed and not what I would have anticipated based upon the previous sculpts.

the white parts are not finished yet

Did you got an official statement about this?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also keep in mind that the mini is more detailed than it appears in the picture, according to Reaper staff. They said they usually don't even show greens that have a significant amount of two different colors, because it's really tough to get a picture that shows off the details of both the dark green and the white.

Also keep in mind that the mini is more detailed than it appears in the picture, according to Reaper staff. They said they usually don't even show greens that have a significant amount of two different colors, because it's really tough to get a picture that shows off the details of both the dark green and the white.

Assuming they're using a descent digital camera made at any point in the past ten years that really should be a problem.

In the case of a large model like this one though you lose detail simply because of the resolution its displayed at. Of course while I'd love to see a higher res version I probably wouldn't post one any larger either unless it was of the final production model rather that the master sculpt.

OK, here is my unofficial "official" comment on Vernaclox, the clockwork dragon. I have had this sculpt in my hands. It is incredibly detailed. There are a couple of artistic licenses taken with it as it is not feasible to translate a 2D concept into a 3D sculpt. As some have mentioned, there are some plain spots where there was detail in the art. It's most likely done that way for a couple of reasons. One reason might be that since there is an incredibly tight deadline on all of these new sculpts, some things need to be left out so that you can get your product when Reaper says you will. Secondly, it might have something to do with the sculptors allowing you, the painter, to exercise your imagination by giving you some places to let your brush to go wild on.

The white parts are finished, and they are awesome in person. Everyone who is getting one will be blown away by how incredible this really is.

• Like 12

OK, here is my unofficial "official" comment on Vernaclox, the clockwork dragon. I have had this sculpt in my hands. ... It's most likely done that way for a couple of reasons. One reason might be that since there is an incredibly tight deadline on all of these new sculpts, some things need to be left out ...

This is really concerning. I don't think anyone joined this campaign because they wanted rushed work. It seems the elf sculptor had the professionalism to say, nope can't be done in that time. I wish the clockwork sculptors had the same dignity.

• Like 1

Please reconsider the above comment unless you actually know the people who sculpted the model personally. Know their work and work ethic and pride in their craft. Its incredibly insulting.

Not adding several minor decorations is hardly the poorly slapped together rush job you are implying. They would not have turned it in and Reaper would not have accepted it if the model did not meet their standards.

• Like 1

Good point. On re-reading my post that is way too harsh. I apologize to the sculptors! I still stand by many comment on the rush jobs on Reaper's part. There is no reason to set tight timelines just to reach an arbitrary date. I think if the supporters were polled the majority would back giving the artist the time time they need.

• Like 2

OK, here is my unofficial "official" comment on Vernaclox, the clockwork dragon. I have had this sculpt in my hands. ... It's most likely done that way for a couple of reasons. One reason might be that since there is an incredibly tight deadline on all of these new sculpts, some things need to be left out ...

This is really concerning. I don't think anyone joined this campaign because they wanted rushed work. It seems the elf sculptor had the professionalism to say, nope can't be done in that time. I wish the clockwork sculptors had the same dignity.

Well, I don't have any doubts about Julie Guthrie and Bob Ridolfi's combined talent and professionalism. They're veteran names from back when I was trying to figure out what different colored dragons meant - and they're names I've learned through experience to place on a high tier and look for . . . and it should be noted that I am incredibly picky.

Now that's not so much to argue with you as it is to reassure you that you will get a quality job from these two.

Good point. On re-reading my post that is way too harsh. I apologize to the sculptors! I still stand by many comment on the rush jobs on Reaper's part. There is no reason to set tight timelines just to reach an arbitrary date. I think if the supporters were polled the majority would back giving the artist the time time they need.

Did you not read the thread about the paint delays? :poke:

A concern I have is since those wings were made with plasticard, they may be so thin they will flop like a puppy's ears once they are made from the bones material..

It's actually rather thick sheets of plastic. With a high enough durometer of plastic, they will stand up fine.

• Like 1

No, you can't assume that and speak for other supporters. "Around" March is acceptable, that's what we were told is the plan, but if there's a delay beyond that which is significant, even if it is in no way Reaper's fault, there is going to be a maelstrom of discontent fit to make you think Hell boiled over.

So they have to stick to the original deadline as best they can. But, it should be noted that most - if not all - of the sculptors have a lot of practice under their belt and can meet the deadline without compromising quality. More time is nice - everybody has that as their number one life wish no matter what field they're in - but to give it out and deliberately make the stated deadline more flexible is to invite chaos, armageddon, and a stormy sea of internet bile.

They said they usually don't even show greens that have a significant amount of two different colors, because it's really tough to get a picture that shows off the details of both the dark green and the white.

I played around with the pic and recoloured/desaturated it to see if I could get a bit more detail out of it (or at least a more even presentation without different areas drawing attention due to their colour)... Only so much that can be done, especially starting from a low res, highly compressed jpeg, but the results can be seen here.

Personally, although I would have liked the detail on the shields (Im not that accomplished a painter yet), Im not too worried about the level of detail overall. My only criticisms are the pose and the overbite...

Did you not read the thread about the paint delays? :poke:

I think really that was more about selectively choosing who delays would apply to. Some people were disappointed (myself included), but not many people seemed too upset just by the problem itself. That thread died pretty quickly once it was announced that on second re-assessment the delays would have apply to everyone anyway.

when I was trying to figure out what different colored dragons meant...

there's multiple colors?

*puts on Sage Hat*

Dost thou mean, sir, that thee are not aware of the difference between genus Draco Causticus Sputem and genus Draco Impudentus Gallus? Dost thou not read? I predict thy adventuring life shall be short and painful, particularly if thou tryeth to trade riddles with the former and employ protection from acid against the latter.

• Like 4