Clockwork Dragon Extra Parts

Planeflake

Several mini kickstarters have revealed the amount people don't understand about the artistic process of creating minis. I love seeing the process, but I can understand why folks like the McVeys have stopped showing greens and probably won't be showing concept art in the future.

That is a shame. I know that I don't know a lick about the artistic process of creating miniatures, but I would really like to learn. The more I learn about an endeavor, the more I appreciate the results.

What I've been hearing is many people are going to have sculpts done before starting Kickstarters to avoid the Sedition wars problem. Lets be honest things have to change from concept to sculpts just to get a miniature to cast and many people don't understand that. If I was to launch my own line I'd do my best to have all the non-stretch goal stuff done by the time I started. Ya that's an expensive up front cost but I don't think people are going to continue to throw money at concept art.

Because of both mixed public response when they see that figures are not 100% faithful copies of the concept art, and the added time on the back-end that getting a figure made after the KS adds to fulfillment time, I imagine that any future Reaper Kickstarters will have less new concept art and more never before seen sculpts. Seriously - for me the big hitch is waiting a month to get the figure, because that's a delay in getting the mold made and production started. Granted, they had 250+ other figures to start on before this, but I'm not happy with anything that even feels like a slowdown in the process.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think Concept Art = Design schematic.

Ain't that the truth!

A concern I have is since those wings were made with plasticard, they may be so thin they will flop like a puppy's ears once they are made from the bones material..

It's actually rather thick sheets of plastic. With a high enough durometer of plastic, they will stand up fine.

What the heck is a "durometer"? I blame Albert F. Shore for my lack of proper understanding of the measuring of elastomers, rubber, and polymers hardness.

So then what is the durometer measurement of Bones plastic? I assume it's on the 'A' scale for soft plastics?

Durometer is the measure of how flexible it is - our first run of Bones was about Durometer 85. The second batch came out to be about 65, and we've asked for a return tot he 85. Who the heck is Albert F. Shore?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Durometer is the measure of how flexible it is - our first run of Bones was about Durometer 85. The second batch came out to be about 65, and we've asked for a return tot he 85. Who the heck is Albert F. Shore?

Alfred Shore is the guy who came up with the first durometer. I'm familiar with him through the Shore A hardness of silicon rubber.

-Dave

ETA: Linky! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

Personally, I am trilled that the sculptor chose not to do raised details on the shields. That is WAY over done on minis these days. As a painter, I LOVE a nice smooth surface where I can have fun and make the mini mine. In reality, very few shields would have anything but a smooth surface on which people painted; why the mini industry has taken a tact toward repousse shileds baffles me. In reality, repoussage (the art of pounding metal to make a raise artistic design) is NOT easy and is something only the very wealthy could afford.

Give me a plain shield any day and let me paint it into something amazing.

Andy

This has been a pet peeve of mine since back in the Grenadier days. Not that I can paint well enough to do them justice, but raised charges really limit your options...

• Like 1

Because of both mixed public response when they see that figures are not 100% faithful copies of the concept art, and the added time on the back-end that getting a figure made after the KS adds to fulfillment time, I imagine that any future Reaper Kickstarters will have less new concept art and more never before seen sculpts. Seriously - for me the big hitch is waiting a month to get the figure, because that's a delay in getting the mold made and production started. Granted, they had 250+ other figures to start on before this, but I'm not happy with anything that even feels like a slowdown in the process.

So, what you are saying is you want to put them out SOON...

:devil:

@Reaperbryan

you will always get mixed emotions. No difference if you use existing mini's from reaper, greens or concept arts.

Some are unusual like the cloud giantess and KS Sophie gave lot of mixed emotions, because of nude or posing, but not other succubi, which were part of the Reaper-KS, too.

I don't like the clockpunk dragon. It is ok, I will never like every reaper mini. I hate the werewolves with clothes and weapons, even if they are good scuplting quality. I didn't like every concept art, but the greens were always little better (example: Storm Giant). The c.d. was for me the first one, which is worse.

Anyway, March in amerika or April in europe will be a second christmas for everyone, even if some mini's will not get from everyone good critics.

Only the comment at the KS I really didn't like was "Once again, it's a model kit meant to be worked on and painted/decals applied, not a finished toy." Sorry, we are not stupid, everyone do know that miniatures from reaper and other companies should be better painted (sometimes repainted!!!) to increase their appearance.

Only the comment at the KS I really didn't like was "Once again, it's a model kit meant to be worked on and painted/decals applied, not a finished toy." Sorry, we are not stupid, everyone do know that miniatures from reaper and other companies should be better painted (sometimes repainted!!!) to increase their appearance.

I don't believe that the comment was meant to say that anyone was stupid.

Not everyone is involved in the gaming industry or has knowledge of it. Not everyone knows Reaper. I have friends and coworkers who only every see finished miniatures and some still believe that you can buy them fully painted for low-prices.

As well, I have heard it said that as they are not marketed as "toys" or such (game accessories, etc), they fall into the "model" category and as such do not need the expensive testing that "toys" require.

And finally, the statement manages expectations (as some miniature kickstarter campaigns have painted miniatures) of those supporting the campaign, who may not be the intended recipient (xmas gifts have been mentioned in more than one thread).

So, what you are saying is you want to put them out SOON™...

:devil:

Not entirely sure what the soon thing relates to, but I'm pretty sure somebody's supposed to say seize him!

In reality, repoussage (the art of pounding metal to make a raise artistic design) is NOT easy and is something only the very wealthy could afford.

Give me a plain shield any day and let me paint it into something amazing.

Andy

I certainly see where you are coming from. I will say, however, that anyone who is commissioning a clockwork dragon to be built (because I think most gnomes/tinkerers/etc who could do it would need a financial backer) is probably pretty wealthy!

I'm really not worried about the shields. I'm just excited to see how the rest of the details come out.

Or the raised portions of the embossed shields are pressed tin.... I used to live in a house with pressed tin ceilings - the work was absolutely beautiful.

The Auld Grump, 'course the place also had lead paint and asbestos....

To each their own, if you wanna buy all of your minis prepainted go for it, but I was stunned the first time I saw a box of plastic dudes with paint already on them. Someone working for the store at the time (years and year ago) told me that was the new thing, and soon you wouldn't be able to buy metal or unpainted minis at all. I was nearly traumatized at the the thought, and am glad to see it never caught on to a degree that the other products were eliminated. I haven't even painted a thing in years, but I'm really excited about getting back to it. It would have been a sad thing to me if all minis came fully assembled and painted and all exactly the same. If that were the case I think I'd just go to the dollar store and buy bags of those crappy soldiers.

To each their own, if you wanna buy all of your minis prepainted go for it, but I was stunned the first time I saw a box of plastic dudes with paint already on them. Someone working for the store at the time (years and year ago) told me that was the new thing, and soon you wouldn't be able to buy metal or unpainted minis at all. I was nearly traumatized at the the thought, and am glad to see it never caught on to a degree that the other products were eliminated. I haven't even painted a thing in years, but I'm really excited about getting back to it. It would have been a sad thing to me if all minis came fully assembled and painted and all exactly the same. If that were the case I think I'd just go to the dollar store and buy bags of those crappy soldiers.

Umm... what are you talking about?

The question here is not whether the miniatures should be sold unpainted, but rather if the figure should have raised detail on the shield.

I don't think that anyone here is asking that Bones be supplied painted - we like paintin' minis 'round these parts.

And those parts.

And I think that it needs a little detail work around the gears....

The Auld Grump, who despises prepainted plastic minis.

I don't believe that the comment was meant to say that anyone was stupid.

Stupid could be little hard word. But I think it was not really neccessary to tell that these are not toys. What is meant or not, is not often clear. But I don't think Reaper want to insult anyone.

Not everyone is involved in the gaming industry or has knowledge of it. Not everyone knows Reaper. I have friends and coworkers who only every see finished miniatures and some still believe that you can buy them fully painted for low-prices.

And finally, the statement manages expectations (as some miniature kickstarter campaigns have painted miniatures) of those supporting the campaign, who may not be the intended recipient (xmas gifts have been mentioned in more than one thread).

Reaper explained in the Kickstarter what Bones are and gave the information already that they are needed to be painted.

Several mini kickstarters have revealed the amount people don't understand about the artistic process of creating minis. I love seeing the process, but I can understand why folks like the McVeys have stopped showing greens and probably won't be showing concept art in the future.

That is a shame. I know that I don't know a lick about the artistic process of creating miniatures, but I would really like to learn. The more I learn about an endeavor, the more I appreciate the results.

What I've been hearing is many people are going to have sculpts done before starting Kickstarters to avoid the Sedition wars problem. Lets be honest things have to change from concept to sculpts just to get a miniature to cast and many people don't understand that. If I was to launch my own line I'd do my best to have all the non-stretch goal stuff done by the time I started. Ya that's an expensive up front cost but I don't think people are going to continue to throw money at concept art.

I know you guys planned for this KS to get into the millions but with all the potential new sculpts there was no way you could start getting all of them to be worked on until you knew a goal was reached so I'm amazed you only had to drop 2.