Matching fur colors - help needed

Hi - this is probably a little bit of an unusual request compared to the norm but I'm really having problems and could use some help.

I bought a little plastic dog (just a cheap job, from Michaels, though the details aren't too bad). It's a golden retriever - I want to paint it up as a present for a friend and paint it to match my friend's retriever.

The problem is - I've been mixing and mixing and I can't even come close to the fur color of this dog. (See attached)

This dog has 4 shades of fur really.

Darkest is an orangeish brown color.

Next is a lighter shade of that

Then there is a light blonde color (makes up the majority - and is the color I've come least closest to)

Finally a white/khaki color (this I can actually match pretty closely).

The Reaper power pallete gives me things like "tanned highlight, and rosy skin" for the blonde color - which I have, and they aren't even close :/

Everything I've tried on my own comes out too yellow, or too brown, or too plain (i.e. not "golden" enough). I mostly have GW paints (the old kind, before they redid them recently) but I have pretty much all of them, in addition to ~2 dozen Reaper (those are almost entirely skin tones though).

I've been trying by mixing mostly light browns with yellows, or browns +oranges for the darker colors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not averse to picking up paints if needed but be aware that my FLGS (where I bought at least a half-dozen triads) no longer carries Reaper paints :/

post-7194-0-63337600-1349585766.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im by no means an expert on paint mixing, but my day job has taught me to be ok at eyeballing colours... Id suggest trying colours/mixs with a bit more green in them. The lighter colourings, especially the shadows in the undercoat where you can see through to the skin more, have a greenish tinge. An olive-green shade, in particular.

Playing around with the photoshop multi-sample eyedropper tool and putting it back into the Power Palette gives me Oiled Leather, Fair Skin, Polished Bone, Bloodless Skin, Terran Khaki

Like so: tuy8P.gif

Although the Terran Khaki in practice is probably overpoweringly dark unless you only use it barely visibly as subtle shadow on the pale parts.

• Like 3

Well - mixing up some the paints Caffiene provied gave me a great Khaki color that's a nice match to the lightest fur.

And some experimentation using that Khaki as a base gave me what I think is a passable light blonde fur (see attached pics). Made by mixing in a very tiny amount of Vomit Brown (aka a creamy orange) to the base.

But I still need to come up with the darkest orange fur, and a way to blend the that with the blonde fur.

Obviously the pic of the face was a quicky job. And I'll shade/highlight each color - but just as a quick way to see how the colors work together - what do you guys think?

The second pic - of the back legs - you can see the khaki base made from the intricate mixing. (And that back paw, made from that base + some golden yellow - which is a not bad blonde fur color too, I think). You can also see the amount of experimentation the poor doggy has had done on him as I was testing various colors/mixes.

Thanks!

post-7194-0-61796800-1349744479.jpg

post-7194-0-80277400-1349744492_thumb.jpg

Just in case anyone remembers this thread, from two months ago. I finished the dog (and found a much better dog too). If it weren't for the invaluable help of my the worlds best painter, he wouldn't have turned out nearly as (imo) awesome.

As you can see - he's leaps and bounds better than my poor test puppy. (Way to take one for the team though, test puppy). Thefirst pic includes some of his toys I sculpted. (Sadly, the dog turned out so good that the toys look especially sucky in comparison - and they didn't need help for that, I suck at sculpting).

post-7194-0-53419900-1354868174_thumb.jpg

post-7194-0-40746300-1354868185_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys.

Yes, I probably will strip/repaint the test puppy at some point. He's not nearly as nice a sculpt as the second dog though. (Second dog was made by a company called "Schleich" btw - they make a ton of different animals, though they're much too big for any sort of tabletop gaming purposes.)

They toys have their charm - but you can tell they are pretty lumpy. Also - I started making the toys long ago - pre-second dog. So they are all a bit too small now for the full-grown retriever.

Overall I'm pretty darn happy with it still, and look forward to (and slightly dread) giving it away.

• Like 1