Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Green stuff and other epoxies -- health hazards & precautions

I did a fair bit of forum searching on this subject in the past. What I found was a lot of people never had problems, a few had issues from the start, and a lot of people start with no problems but develop sensitivity, sometimes severe, to the stuff through use.

It's not uncommon for things that may cause allergies to build up from zero to severe over time. If it gets severe you can end up with hives or itching all over just from being in the room with the stuff. So I would certainly not just say "Oh, it's only an irritant", as a severe eczema outbreak will permanently redefine your concept of "irritant" from "I imagine it would probably itch" to "DEAR MERCIFUL GOD! HELL WILL BE LIKE THIS!!".

Try googling eczema for an idea, but remember it's not really the chemical's fault. Some people get that from cats, UV light, soap, conditioner, or suchlike.

I did a fair bit of forum searching on this subject in the past. What I found was a lot of people never had problems, a few had issues from the start, and a lot of people start with no problems but develop sensitivity, sometimes severe, to the stuff through use.

The thing is, until it happens you never know which group you fall into. That's why everyone taking minimal safety precautions is a good idea.

When I was just starting art school I met an older student who had developed a skin reaction to paint thinner and had to wear gloves whenever he painted. It alarmed me so much that I learned to paint wearing those thick yellow dishwashing gloves (now I use thin medical exam gloves).

A word on latex gloves: lots of things dissolve them. Your spray primer, possibly any enamel paint, and any oil or solvent based thinner. Anything that's got a hydrocarbon in it. Some make them wear through, others make them vanish, some turn them to goop.

I'd strongly suggest nitrile gloves as a minimum in any situation where you're hoping for chemical safety. And if you're going to use advice from a miniatures forum whilst out in the garage or garden, 1. read the label, 2. elbow length PVC gloves and SOMETHING over your eyes, for the love of all that's holy.

• Like 1

I use nitrile gloves from the pharmacy (latex allergy, ugh). They're bright purple, and when I bring them to workshops the kids love them.

how do you knead the putty green without it sticking to the gloves? I'm worried that petroleum jelly would get kneaded in with the putty if I coated the fingers of my gloves with it...

Not a big deal. Most sculptors use petroleum jelly as a lubricant when sculpting. One trick is to ensure that you have a bit of the jelly on your fingers before mixing it so a bit gets into the mix (Gene taught me that one). This allows it to adhere better to previous work. If using jelly though, make sure you clean the mini with a degreaser like simple green before painting it.

Summer '11 I stained and poly'd a couple thousand board feet of 1x4 and 1x6 for a craftsman-style trim project (for one room!). Nitrile gloves are the thing!

Epoxy can be mixed in running water. If you mix your green stuff in a sink of warm water it sticks to your fingers virtually never and is more plyable when warm! :)

If green stuff is so bad then why does it have to work so well by putting both parts in your mouth and chewing them together...

i do that and now i have zero dental cavities ^_^

I usually have water right beside me when I'm kneading Greenstuff. I usually only use it for gap filler, although I've made a few mutant miniatures with it (mutant-as in horrors that should never be seen by my eyes or otherwise). Greenstuff doesn't usually affect my hands at all, although milliput tends to dry them out. I use gloves & water with Milliput, but nothing but water with GS.

I will also add to the list of things I didn't ever want to hear "chewing greenstuff to green consistency." :zombie:

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      Okay people, we have a pandemic on our hands, we're all affected by it in some way.
      I hereby put out a challenge to all of you:

Paint a mini, build a diorama, print a 3D print, draw something, whatever you feel like that has to do with either the current pandemic or an earlier plague/disaster.
      You could go realistic or fantasy/scifi/ pulp style.

Make it a tribute to those who fight the virus or show the horrors of a plague in a medieval setting.
      It's up to you

Examples:
      Medical Staff Empty street diorama People in hazmat suits Police/firefighters People in lockdown Hoarders/looters Plague victims Plague doctors  
      No rewards here, just for the sake of creativity.

If you can't paint right now but have a suitable piece to show you did earlier, post it.
      Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, let's try to at least fight the loniless and fear by being creative with it.

Post as many stuff as you like.
      No rules only that it has to has something to do with a pandemic/plague/ disaster from your point of view.
    • By Rat13
      Having just started a 45 figure batch paint of guardsmen, I decided a side project may be in order. Just a little something I could fiddle with off and on to disrupt the monotony and I knew just the project. 

About a year ago, after I finished my first commissar,  I thought it would be a good idea to paint all my commissars differently. That way I could tell all of my HQs or elites apart, but wouldn't you know it after a couple games I realized it was completely unnecessary. Having already started down that path however I decided to press on.

Within about the first week of pondering different color schemes I had a great idea. Unfortunately I lacked the skills and hobby confidence to attempt it. This past year I've managed to learn quite a bit though, especially about sculpting/working with greenstuff. So I think it's time to attempt a Hulk Hogan commissar.
      First up was locating a good reference photo for both his moustache and boa (see above).

As the moustache was the trickier of the two I decided to start there. In a twist of fate getting a good texture was the easy part, but getting the proper size wasn't. After some back and forth I finally got the size correct. Then it was just a simple matter of using a pin and a toothpick to achieve a hair like texture. 
      This is what you get zooming in, but at a regular viewing distance I think it looks good. 

Next came the boa. Try as I might I couldn't get a good feathery texture going. I could get a good amorphous blob/coral like texture though. Much like the moustache it'll fail upon close inspection but I think with a good paintjob it'll hold up just fine.  

See I told you that moustache is passable with some distance.

Now it's just a matter of letting everything dry before priming. I guess it's a good thing we have holiday commitments for the next couple days.

As with any greenstuff project you always end up with some leftovers. After adding a skull to the Hulkster's base I thought I'd share the wealth with a few random models from my desk.

• By SGHawkins09
      Not sure if this belongs here or under conversions but since I need help/feedback on the sculpting, I figured here was better. 

I am adding puffy sleeves to a figure and I am very much a novice when it comes to sculpting. I have been working on one and while it looks good to me, I need a second opinion. What do you guys think?

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, Now that the contest is over, here are more pictures of my converted 77038, Hell Hound. The original sculpt is by Ben Siens. This was my entry in Reaper's Facebook Convert and Paint contest. Khan is my elf riding dog in our D&D campaign. The contest was the perfect pretexte to make this conversion. I first removed all the spikes and flames on the hound's back. I then built the armor and saddle using green stuff and a paperclip. The chest is from Reaper's 02638, adventuring accessories. There were amazing entries in the contest and I managed to get an honorable mention. Thanks to Reaper miniatures and Matthew Clark for organizing this contest.

• By RandomExtra
      I started a D&D campaign for my son and some of his friends, and using it as an excuse to acquire and paint some new minis. Here is my son's Tiefling sorcerer (sorceress?)The plan: We don't really like the "combat bikini" on this one, so I am going to attempt to add, well something to it. It won't be great, probably wont even look good, but hey I'm only trying to get better, so please comment, critique, advise, instruct, and what not.
      Going with a light purple skin because its for a Tiefling character, and I think purple is an interesting color to paint. Turquoise colored garments as a complimentary color, and some yellow gold metal for some contrast.

And some color after the nip tuck. I went with blue for a base cause I'm guessing it will work better with the purple skin.
      We decided to chop the staff and try for a glass orb for the arcane focus. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Finally to end the night with some Green stuff. I started with a "sheet" of it for the Front and Back panels. I'm going to try to add some detail tomorrow after this dries.
      Overall I don't think the cloth is laying quite right, or the size is off. Either way I hope I can fix it in the next session.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)