• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RAT ATTACK!

gedc0317n.jpg

Almost done.

I went off script, and used some Vallejo Warm Grey and Bonewhite on the stones and skull, just needs to have a quick drybrush. Once the rest of the base is finished I'll move him to the Show Off section.

Now the fun starts. I've more or less reached my current level of painting already, so everything from this point on will be new and terrifying.

So prepare for my journey through Kit 2 to mainly involve me epicly screwing up.

• Like 7

Now the fun starts. I've more or less reached my current level of painting already, so everything from this point on will be new and terrifying.

So prepare for my journey through Kit 2 to mainly involve me epicly screwing up.

A) Hopefully, you post all that Kit 2 fun in the Open/Group thread for kit 2!

B) It ain't near as scary when you get going. Just don't let those any of those Fiddly Bits scare ya, you'll do it a whole lot better than ya think!

C) If you think your screw-ups are epic, I've got a Shelf Of Shame you ought to see... ::D:

• Like 4

This Rat looks great. Maybe a bit of milliput or green stuff to make the base scenic up to the edge and a mushroom would be nice too. But I'm very basist!!

library ban #4: Buglips will not be allowed back in the library following the ear wax incident in the audio section.

• Like 2

Finally, at long last I can join the WIP topic!

l2pk1_1.jpg

LETS GET STARTED!

First thing I notice was a lot of flash on my Anhurian, and some heavy mold lines. At first I thought I owuldnt care, but then I decided I did, so I did my best to fix what I could.

Here he is all primed up. I can see why people prefer spry on primers, but its most likely going to be 2 weeks to a month before the weather is warm enough to pull that off.

l2pk1_2.jpg

Here we are with the face/cloth painted. I kinda got blue everywhere. I'm still trying to get used to the brush, and the fact its a flatter one. Or well any for that matter, I've not really done any painting before. Also the 5/0 brush that comes with it is TINY. I've heard people talking about the paint drying on the brush before it reached the mini, but never really thought much of it. Its true!! I'd grab some paint, just a tiny bit, and it'd be dry by the time I put it to the mini. Crazy stuff. Gotta be careful or grab a lot of paint!

Finally here we are currently, having just put the metal coat on. As some may be able to tell, I've deviated from the instructions a bit, and I'm going to do all the base codes, and then go over all of it with the Wash, instead of doing a wash after every steps as mentioned in the instructions.

l2pk1_4.jpg

So thats where I stand! I may do more tonight, I havent decided.

What do you all think so far?

EDIT: Heh, if you look at the images in reverse, it looks like the Rat is sneaking up behind him.

Edited by jaryth000
  • Like 4
  • Forum Mascot

I actually prefer the brush-on primer over the spray. Less to go wrong. The unusually high amount of flash coming on recent Anhurians is probably due to the increased use of the mold. We've been keeping the casters busy with our hunger for the paint kits. All the ones I've had or bought for others during more easygoing times have had very little flash.

But you cleaned him up real purty. The 5/0 is actually too small to be useful beyond the job in this kit. I bought some for my Bones, forgetting how small they are, and promptly destroyed them in use. When you see people recommend the better brushes, like W&N Series 7's, Davincis, etc because they're full kolinksy - what you're getting with those is a thin brush with a nice point that also has much better paintholding ability. You just dip it into your clean rinsewater before you begin, drag it backwards across some paper towel so it's just a bit moist, and dive in. Because it retains the moisture in the bristles, it keeps the paint from drying up before you get a chance to apply it. A synthetic does not have this same property, so that's why the paint dries so fast.

Still, it's an okay beginner brush to start learning on. Brush control is a fundamental skill.

• Like 2

Looks good so far.

I suggest mixing the Black Wash with the Sapphire Blue and using that mix to paint the inner edge of the "hood" (currently painted over with flesh) and around the edge of the shield where the silver meets the blue. I'm not sure if this L2PK covers lining but this is the basics of it.

Indeed buglips, I see what you mean about the brushes. I have an online shopping cart with 3 Series 7 brushes in it (1,0,000) that Ive been holding off buying till I had a bit if practice, but I can definitely tell why everyone was so quick to suggest picking up good brushes, and that the money is worth it in the long run.

On a related note, I'm really glad I picked up some good brush soap before I started (The Masters soap), that Sapphire Blue REALLY did not want to come off the brush.

As far as Obsidian's comment, I've seen people here do lining, and wasn't sure how much I wanted to dabble in it, but your right, it's definitely a worth while technique to pick up. L2PK 1 does not cover it.

Thank you both for the comments.

Get the 00 instead of the 000. It's more useful. The 000 is a little too small to do anything with, and the 00 is plenty thin and pointy for lining, eyes, and other details.

After using the 5/0 a bit more to do the details, it actually wasnt that bad. Granted, once again its Synthetic. I think the very ends of the tip are starting to die already...

Still haven't opened it, but the L2PK 2 has another Synthetic and a Red Sable... Several times now I've been tempted to rip that one open and use the brushes, but I've held fast, using only the brushes that came with it.

On to more WIP. CRAP! I forgot to snap a pic between the painting the brown and doing the wash. Well damn.

Washed the hands/brown/blue with Walnut, did the chain mail and other metal in black ink as instructed. When I order the L2PK 3/4/5, I'm also going to pick up a set of those empty bottles. Right now I'm using a dropper, and its horribly inaccurate in its measurements for water, and I keep getting very inconstant results, causing me to have to add a bit more paint here, a bit more water there. Doesnt help that I just BARELY know what the consistency should even be like. Anyway, on to the picture!

l2pk1_5.jpg

After that, I got annoyed that the grass was the only thing not painted... so I threw a quick coat of green down (will need a second, or a wash of green/brown)

l2pk1_6.jpg

NEXT, I have to figure out how the hell to drybrush, and how to not get paint all over everything around it. I know the theory of it, I have the instructions, I've read several other people talking about it, I've seen videos of people doing it... even still, I dont know the 'feel' of it, if that makes any sense. So... that will be a fun thing to try tomorrow... after that it should be done! Except the eyes.... yeah... I tried that... twice.. then just painted the entire face flesh again... >_>

Edit: Oh yes, and this time the further distancing rat was intentional, after noticing the accidental pattern the first time.

Edited by jaryth000
  • Like 4

I couldn't face trying to do this kit with just the brushes it came with, so I 'borrowed' one of the size 0's from a later kit.

You're doing well so far, all I'd suggest is going over the chainmail with the black wash again, really work it into all those little holes.

• Like 2

I couldn't face trying to do this kit with just the brushes it came with, so I 'borrowed' one of the size 0's from a later kit.

You're doing well so far, all I'd suggest is going over the chainmail with the black wash again, really work it into all those little holes.

It actually looks like way too much silver paint imo, you almost want to dryrbush the silver onto the chainmail after a heavy black wash.